Position group observations @ Ga.State | The Boneyard

Position group observations @ Ga.State

Reaction Score
Charlton...
I am not sure what he does well in.. Our offense has been handicapped with Joe. F at help and I am not sure what can be done to fix it. We know teams are gonna stack the box and due to us not having a strong sized center, we are at a disadvantage because Walker is undersize... In a nut shell, not gonna have much push in the middle with him. Charlton and Mora need to be questioned about how Joe.F was the better pick because Roberson came in and completed more passes and attempted more deep shots and actually tried to make plays whereas with Joe F... he could not connect his throws with the receivers and it just seemed the offense seems lifeless with him.

QB - I will like to see what the offense is like with Roberson. It seems the offense moves much faster and efficient with Roberson 19/30 - 216 yards 2 td/1int. If Roberson would have started tonight, I truly believe we would have made Ga State pay for loading up the box. Here is the deal, Joe F cannot run the rpo efficiently like Zion or Roberson. Joe F proved to me why I hate riding with Qbs who are not FBS talent. Painful lesson for Mora.. do not hype up a QB you brought in that has built a relationship with the Team and not start him in favor of a QB who has never played FBS football. If Charlton wanted Joe F... he should've brought him in when they let Steven K go. But Mora saying Roberson brought good energy but his 216 yards are empty yards... is unbelievable. NC State changed their defense when they were up and Joe couldn't find guys to throw it or wasn't willing throw the ball deep. Roberson deserves better, but I understand also not wanting to throw Charlton under the bus for our lack of success on offense.

RB - This Runningback committee is not working... Brewton and Houston are good change of pace backs, but we need to give Mitchell/Rosa more carries to get going. This is the least production we have seen and yes I get it, the box was loaded, but the team really needs a 3 down back who we can roll with and stop this committee room because makes no sense for us to run east/west when teams are just gonna load up the box and set the edge.. might as well give a strong runner like Rosa/Mitchell the ball to run North and South, I will gladly take the 3 yards per carry if it means pounding the ball.

O-line - Oh man.. Haynes at center might need to be the move. Walker keeps getting blowed up in the middle. Lundt cant hold his own in one on one situations. Ofori-Nyadu can't keep helping Walker double up the nose while a linebacker or end is slanting towards his gap, Senn is trying his best to pick up the outside linebackers coming far off the edge. Haynes holding his own, but teams are just sending two dudes at him. The O-line is truly trying their best.. but Charlton incompetency is putting too much pressure on them when teams are loading the box and we aren't throwing no slants to punish teams that are loading up the box.

TE - They need a qb friendly TE who will give them a chance to flourish and shine. I think Roberson will be that guy. Joe F rarely ever threw to a TE, but all jokes asides common denominate is Charlton not getting them involved, we have 7 TEs, I am sure we can run a 11,12,21,22 personnel with them. Charlton just gotta be creative to create some type of openings on opposing teams defense for our TEs to be successful.

WR - I do not trust Buckman as a returner.. but I would say he did fairly have a good game. Geordon Porter and Burns need to be relegated to the bench. Give Clercius and Drawdy a chance. It doesn't help our WR room is young, but the transfers are truly are not cutting it. I think we get better production from those guys with Buckman in the mix.

Defense.. Much better job today, but Mora gonna have to end up game planning better and putting a spy for dual threat qbs. It's not enough to blitz them but not put no kind of spy on them. I

D-line Swarming all over the play, but goodness gracious we gotta sack the qb, especially the ones that are dual threat. We could have had like 5 sacks this game if our D-line just tackled the qb in the backfield. I like our D-line but they gotta just be finish through when tackling.

linebackers This is gonna be a long season for us if this group does not figure it out. Last year's core was very strong and brought the energy.. This year I do not see the energy and Mitchell does not have somebody who complements his style of play which I feel is part of why our LB group is weak. We need better play for them, but the qb gashing our defense right down the middle was horrendous.

Secondary - This is gonna be a long season for Bronson.. he got beat way too many times. The committee by corners is not working and they need to find their two solid dudes and stop rotating. Our corners/safeties made some good plays, but jeez the amount of separation we give the opposing teams wide receivers is unbelievable.

Feel free to share your observations.

Reaction Score
The RB isn’t working period.

It’s too much change, neither back can get a rhythm going. Each of those backs has a different running style and the line has to match the personnel every time there’s a switch.

This game was AWFUL.
And I mean that from the energy; top to bottom..

Reaction Score
Charlton...
I am not sure what he does well in.. Our offense has been handicapped with Joe. F at help and I am not sure what can be done to fix it. We know teams are gonna stack the box and due to us not having a strong sized center, we are at a disadvantage because Walker is undersize... In a nut shell, not gonna have much push in the middle with him. Charlton and Mora need to be questioned about how Joe.F was the better pick because Roberson came in and completed more passes and attempted more deep shots and actually tried to make plays whereas with Joe F... he could not connect his throws with the receivers and it just seemed the offense seems lifeless with him.

QB - I will like to see what the offense is like with Roberson. It seems the offense moves much faster and efficient with Roberson 19/30 - 216 yards 2 td/1int. If Roberson would have started tonight, I truly believe we would have made Ga State pay for loading up the box. Here is the deal, Joe F cannot run the rpo efficiently like Zion or Roberson. Joe F proved to me why I hate riding with Qbs who are not FBS talent. Painful lesson for Mora.. do not hype up a QB you brought in that has built a relationship with the Team and not start him in favor of a QB who has never played FBS football. If Charlton wanted Joe F... he should've brought him in when they let Steven K go. But Mora saying Roberson brought good energy but his 216 yards are empty yards... is unbelievable. NC State changed their defense when they were up and Joe couldn't find guys to throw it or wasn't willing throw the ball deep. Roberson deserves better, but I understand also not wanting to throw Charlton under the bus for our lack of success on offense.

RB - This Runningback committee is not working... Brewton and Houston are good change of pace backs, but we need to give Mitchell/Rosa more carries to get going. This is the least production we have seen and yes I get it, the box was loaded, but the team really needs a 3 down back who we can roll with and stop this committee room because makes no sense for us to run east/west when teams are just gonna load up the box and set the edge.. might as well give a strong runner like Rosa/Mitchell the ball to run North and South, I will gladly take the 3 yards per carry if it means pounding the ball.

O-line - Oh man.. Haynes at center might need to be the move. Walker keeps getting blowed up in the middle. Lundt cant hold his own in one on one situations. Ofori-Nyadu can't keep helping Walker double up the nose while a linebacker or end is slanting towards his gap, Senn is trying his best to pick up the outside linebackers coming far off the edge. Haynes holding his own, but teams are just sending two dudes at him. The O-line is truly trying their best.. but Charlton incompetency is putting too much pressure on them when teams are loading the box and we aren't throwing no slants to punish teams that are loading up the box.

TE - They need a qb friendly TE who will give them a chance to flourish and shine. I think Roberson will be that guy. Joe F rarely ever threw to a TE, but all jokes asides common denominate is Charlton not getting them involved, we have 7 TEs, I am sure we can run a 11,12,21,22 personnel with them. Charlton just gotta be creative to create some type of openings on opposing teams defense for our TEs to be successful.

WR - I do not trust Buckman as a returner.. but I would say he did fairly have a good game. Geordon Porter and Burns need to be relegated to the bench. Give Clercius and Drawdy a chance. It doesn't help our WR room is young, but the transfers are truly are not cutting it. I think we get better production from those guys with Buckman in the mix.

Defense.. Much better job today, but Mora gonna have to end up game planning better and putting a spy for dual threat qbs. It's not enough to blitz them but not put no kind of spy on them. I

D-line Swarming all over the play, but goodness gracious we gotta sack the qb, especially the ones that are dual threat. We could have had like 5 sacks this game if our D-line just tackled the qb in the backfield. I like our D-line but they gotta just be finish through when tackling.

linebackers This is gonna be a long season for us if this group does not figure it out. Last year's core was very strong and brought the energy.. This year I do not see the energy and Mitchell does not have somebody who complements his style of play which I feel is part of why our LB group is weak. We need better play for them, but the qb gashing our defense right down the middle was horrendous.

Secondary - This is gonna be a long season for Bronson.. he got beat way too many times. The committee by corners is not working and they need to find their two solid dudes and stop rotating. Our corners/safeties made some good plays, but jeez the amount of separation we give the opposing teams wide receivers is unbelievable.

Defense - How many games does it take to figure out you need to adjust your D after a QBs eats you alive? (Hint less than one). You have to expect your next opponent is going to key on your weaknesses and that’s what they did. They killed us up the middle both with QB runs and slants exploiting LBs that were way out of position. Our D line needs to stay disciplined in keep the QB contained. They are all so anxious to beat their man moving they are moving out of their lanes of responsibility and allowing massive holes to open up. Our tackles need to be using power rush moves to keep the QB in front of them not using speed techniques to get around a blocker at the expense of losing contain. Nobody gets their hands up on a pass. Nobody is teaching these guys to play as a unit.

LBs - we are leaving the LBs on an island for fear of giving up the big play. So, they are left ciphering huge ground with no DB support. Our LBs are continually out of position because they are spread ridiculously.

Safety and DBs - need serious work turning and funding the ball. I don’t see a lot route jumping. They are being coached to be minimally aggressive.

Overall the D is starting to look like the D under RE… hesitant, risk intolerant, no gang tackling and afraid.

We need a DC because Mora isn’t managing them very well.

Reaction Score
Assuming Rosa will always give us positive yards is wild.

He has a terrible habit of not getting N/S at times and turning a zero gain into a loss of 4...happened on a second and 10 tonight and put us in no mans land on third down

Reaction Score
Assuming Rosa will always give us positive yards is wild.

He has a terrible habit of not getting N/S at times and turning a zero gain into a loss of 4...happened on a second and 10 tonight and put us in no mans land on third down
the kid is good at finding the intended hole and bursting through. he is horrible at improvisation and stretching of a play once his originally intended hole is not opening up as designed. he's trying to be barry sanders and he's just not. that's not a knock, it's the reality. if he was a true dancer and evader, he'd have success doing so by now. every time he tries to get fancy, it bombs.

stop dancing and either hit the hole or move the pile forward with OL's help. you ain't barry.

Reaction Score
We are losing the battle at the line of scrimmage. I'm not sure on the offensive side if the center isn't making the right call or if the experience or lack of, is hurting the timing and assignments. We can't run the ball and our little backs are going east west and then the LB and DB are covering the outside. Not sure the WR is helping with blocks either. Big problem! I'd like to see the bigger backs, if we actually have any, get a shot at this point and run between the tackles. Maybe simplify the run game and see if it opens the passing game. It amazes me that everyone else, has wide open receivers and none of ours have space. Defensively, I think we have the same problem, line isn't playing well enough so the other team has to double and then that frees up our LB, I'm not sure if they are freelancing so they open wide holes and now the LB's are in trouble with space an just out of position. It's crazy to see the holes and runners/ QB run straight up the gut with nobody around to stop or change the direction. We've always played too far off receivers but I think one problem forces other areas to adjust probably in a negative way. This staff has a big problem and not a lot of time before its a lost season. Doesn't get any easier that's for sure! Just saying!

Reaction Score
No RB can gain yards when the offensive line is being dominated at the LOS. Did the RBs play well, no. But Barry Sanders would have had a tough night.

In fact, blaming any single position group is pointless as they were all outplayed. The grades for the groups are bad, worse and worst.

Reaction Score
Charlton...

Some good points on o-line. Not sure how 270+ is undersized, especially if he can move, but it seems to be a sore spot now for us. Don't have a clue if Haynes can slide over. I'm sure they looked at it during preseason. In any case, the o-line performance is woefully behind last year.

On QB... Fagnano was never the guy they thought he'd be, and some of that comes from practicing against a terrible defense daily. That's the crucial piece we're missing completely. Our schemes are totally Edsall-like, and the tackling is horrid. The LB crew is woefully undermanned.

Are we asking too much to be better than Appalachian State, or even Georgia State? Are the admission requirements too high to allow us to compete?

Reaction Score
Fagnano has made some good throws in these 2 games some that were caught some that weren’t and I could see how he might have performed the best in a controlled practice but games are different and with this roster he’s not the guy. Need to start Roberson next week, we need a duel threat.

RBs I’m not saying we should be running one of them 25 times a game but the way they are subbing none of them are going to get into a rhythm.

Wrs are not winning matchups or getting open. Drops an issue in both games.

Overall offensively teams have adjusted to our running schemes from last year and we’ve killed ourselves with penalties and turnovers more than last year. And we haven’t upgraded the talent to make up for any of that.

Defense doesn’t deserve any type of a pass either. As demoralizing as the offense and special teams were, giving up a 65 yard qb run right up the middle is unacceptable. Same with that 3rd and 17 qb run.

Special teams all around bad as well

Reaction Score
Fagnano has made some good throws in these 2 games some that were caught some that weren’t and I could see how he might have performed the best in a controlled practice but games are different and with this roster he’s not the guy. Need to start Roberson next week, we need a duel threat.

RBs I’m not saying we should be running one of them 25 times a game but the way they are subbing none of them are going to get into a rhythm.

Wrs are not winning matchups or getting open. Drops an issue in both games.

Overall offensively teams have adjusted to our running schemes from last year and we’ve killed ourselves with penalties and turnovers more than last year. And we haven’t upgraded the talent to make up for any of that.

Defense doesn’t deserve any type of a pass either. As demoralizing as the offense and special teams were, giving up a 65 yard qb run right up the middle is unacceptable. Same with that 3rd and 17 qb run.

Special teams all around bad as well
I echo this!!

Reaction Score
We are losing the battle at the line of scrimmage. I'm not sure on the offensive side if the center isn't making the right call or if the experience or lack of, is hurting the timing and assignments. We can't run the ball and our little backs are going east west and then the LB and DB are covering the outside. Not sure the WR is helping with blocks either. Big problem! I'd like to see the bigger backs, if we actually have any, get a shot at this point and run between the tackles. Maybe simplify the run game and see if it opens the passing game. It amazes me that everyone else, has wide open receivers and none of ours have space. Defensively, I think we have the same problem, line isn't playing well enough so the other team has to double and then that frees up our LB, I'm not sure if they are freelancing so they open wide holes and now the LB's are in trouble with space an just out of position. It's crazy to see the holes and runners/ QB run straight up the gut with nobody around to stop or change the direction. We've always played too far off receivers but I think one problem forces other areas to adjust probably in a negative way. This staff has a big problem and not a lot of time before its a lost season. Doesn't get any easier that's for sure! Just saying!
Mitchell fumbled and Rosa also had a tough night running downhill…he tried to “shake and bake” way too much and it led to nothing….Not really sure what else you’d like to see. We just need the line to keep their assignment without holding.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom