Position Battles | The Boneyard

Position Battles

Reaction Score
More Preseason Speculation Time
We obviously know our 3 starters but beyond that there are 3 rotation battles I think will be interesting:
Samson v Karaban
Hassan v Newton
Alleyne v Calcaterra
Who do we think has more of an impact? I say Alleyne, Karajan, Newton

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Newton will start. Samson-Karaban may come down to shooting vs. shot blocking/rebounding/defensive smarts (being in the right place, making the right rotations). I'd love having a four who stretches the D, so I'm in the Karaban camp, but if Johnson is hitting 3's, or even elbow/foul line jumpers, at a not terrible clip I'm persuadable. I'd be thrilled if they were interchangeable. I think Alleyne will start, but If Calcaterra is "the best shooter on the team" he'll see regular minutes.

By the way, I think that comes to six starters?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
blake shelton television GIF by The Voice

Reaction Score
Newton will start. Samson-Karaban may come down to shooting vs. shot blocking/rebounding/defensive smarts (being in the right place, making the right rotations). I'd love having a four who stretches the D, so I'm in the Karaban camp, but if Johnson is hitting 3's, or even elbow/foul line jumpers, at a not terrible clip I'm persuadable. I'd be thrilled if they were interchangeable. I think Alleyne will start, but If Calcaterra is "the best shooter on the team" he'll see regular minutes.

By the way, I think that comes to six starters?
It would, the Alleyne Cal comparison is more for a more minutes thing

Reaction Score
Newton will start but Hassan is going to get plenty of minutes early until Andre gets back. Even then I'd expect him to be getting 15-20 minutes a game

Karaban will start over Samson, but again expect both to be pretty big factors. Karaban I expect big things from every game. Samson I expect to have an Akok Akok impact where he makes a few exciting plays and then disappears for a week.

Alleyne is pushing for a starting spot and Calcaterra is trying to break into the rotation so even if they both play Alleyne show should have a much bigger impact

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I won’t be surprised if Newton and Diarra start while Andre is out. Just rotate one out depending on play and fouling issues.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This again? Hawk and Sanogo are locks. Andre was a lock. I expect Johnson to start at the 4 over Karaban and Springs. We will need his rim protection and rebounding even more with AJax out. Karaban may see some time at the 3 with Andre out. Newton should start, but while AJax is out it’s possible they choose Newton Diarra instead of Newton Alleyne. Still think it will be Alleyne.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You've said this a million times, it still remains highly unlikely.
I don’t think there is any basis for saying it is unlikely. Nothing from Hurley suggests that. It’s certainly a contested spot in the lineup, I admit that.

Reaction Score
I don’t think there is any basis for saying it is unlikely. Nothing from Hurley suggests that. It’s certainly a contested spot in the lineup, I admit that.
I agree. There’s nothing indicating K over J.

"He's put himself in a position where he's got a real chance to start at the 4."

I don't read "real chance" as 50/50 or worse, especially in the context of how Samson has been discussed to the media va. Karaban. Definitely read that as more than 50/50.

The other bit of context is that Hurley has said we're going to get a lot more scoring from our 4th and 5th starters this year ("night and day" more). Samson doesn't project as a scorer, but Karaban does.

Reaction Score
Hurley has alluded to Karaban being the leader to start at the 4 multiple times over the past few weeks

Reaction Score
Hurley has alluded to Karaban being the leader to start at the 4 multiple times over the past few weeks
Never take very seriously what a coach has to say about a specific player . He could be touting Karaban to motivate Johnson
Last year Johnson was a shoe in for a plaque.
Jedi’s aren’t the only ones with mind tricks

Reaction Score
I love Karaban on tape. Samson J can get up and down the floor and shoot the 3. Hurley has a lot of talent. We are in for a great season. !

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Never take very seriously what a coach has to say about a specific player . He could be touting Karaban to motivate Johnson
Last year Johnson was a shoe in for a plaque.
Jedi’s aren’t the only ones with mind tricks
So Jackson isn’t really going to be running the point?

Reaction Score
Johnson is exactly the sort of player who wows you in workouts but struggles to find a role in 5-on-5.

He can do a little bit of everything, but isn't your best option if you're looking for offense from the position or if you're looking for defense from the position.

Without having seen either of them play this year, but knowing their profiles, I strongly lean towards Karaban.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Johnson is exactly the sort of player who wows you in workouts but struggles to find a role in 5-on-5.

He can do a little bit of everything, but isn't your best option if you're looking for offense from the position or if you're looking for defense from the position.

Without having seen either of them play this year, but knowing their profiles, I strongly lean towards Karaban.
I’m hopeful he can be our defensive ace at big, essentially replacing Whaley. He’s got so much length and athleticism, it’s just a matter of IQ and feel. But we need AKs spacing and offensive skill in the lineup it seems.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I’m hopeful he can be our defensive ace at big, essentially replacing Whaley. He’s got so much length and athleticism, it’s just a matter of IQ and feel. But we need AKs spacing and offensive skill in the lineup it seems.
Our defense requires an athletic, shot blocking 4. Even more so with Jackson out. Huriey is a defense first guy. Karaban is an interesting player. But he’s not an impact guy. Johnson is. I’m sure some folks will say I’m wrong. If so, it’s because Hurley is wrong. Won’t be the first time.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Our defense requires an athletic, shot blocking 4. Even more so with Jackson out. Huriey is a defense first guy. Karaban is an interesting player. But he’s not an impact guy. Johnson is. I’m sure some folks will say I’m wrong. If so, it’s because Hurley is wrong. Won’t be the first time.
The issue is SJ was completely lost on D all last year. He will have to have made a leap to offer +defense to offset AK on the offensive end. I’m optimistically skeptical he has made that leap.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The issue is SJ was completely lost on D all last year. He will have to have made a leap to offer +defense to offset AK on the offensive end. I’m optimistically skeptical he has made that leap.
He has. And he’s the better defender. By a lot. Just my guess.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom