Portugal Friendly roster | The Boneyard

Portugal Friendly roster

Reaction Score
Josh Sargent, Tyler Adams named in U.S. squad to face Portugal, Pulisic out

Goalkeepers: Jesse Gonzalez (FC Dallas; 0/0), Bill Hamid (Midtjylland; 3/0), Ethan Horvath (Club Brugge; 1/0)

Defenders: John Brooks (Wolfsburg; 32/3), Cameron Carter-Vickers (Sheffield United; 0/0), Eric Lichaj (Nottingham Forest; 13/1), Matt Miazga (Vitesse; 3/1), Tim Ream (Fulham; 26/1), Jorge Villafana (Santos Laguna; 14/0), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle United; 48/0)

Midfielders: Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas; 16/1), Tyler Adams (New York Red Bulls; 0/0), Alejandro Bedoya (Philadelphia Union; 65/2), Lynden Gooch (Sunderland; 2/0), Weston McKennie (Schalke; 0/0), Kelyn Rowe (New England Revolution; 3/1), Danny Williams (Huddersfield Town; 22/2)

Forwards: Juan Agudelo (New England Revolution; 26/3), Dom Dwyer (Orlando City; 3/2), C.J. Sapong (Philadelphia Union; 2/0), Josh Sargent (Werder Bremen; 0/0)

Reaction Score
I don't understand Tim Ream's call up - maybe we needed a warm, local body?
Hopefully Yedlin doesn't play too much as they're still kinda fighting for a Europa place next season

My 11:
Hamid
Lichaj-CCV-Miazga-Yedlin
Williams-Gooch-McKennie-Adams
Sargent-Sapong

Reaction Score
C.J. Sapong? He is about as old as Altidore and not as good.

Tim Ream-Hard Pass... However at least they are not shoving Zimmerman and Hedges down our throats.

I wouldn’t read anything into this roster. What’s scary is that it would look a great deal like the old roster if certain teams weren’t still in the playoffs.

At least we didn’t get Zusi.

Reaction Score
Bingo.

And US Soccer failed by not getting a second friendly.

Reaction Score
C.J. Sapong? He is about as old as Altidore and not as good.

Tim Ream-Hard Pass... However at least they are not shoving Zimmerman and Hedges down our throats.

I wouldn’t read anything into this roster. What’s scary is that it would look a great deal like the old roster if certain teams weren’t still in the playoffs.

At least we didn’t get Zusi.

It truly is amazing how you manage to search for the bad among things that you previously complained about being addressed. Yes to CCV and Gooch, addressing the fact that they have other countries as options. A mostly European based squad, including our first look at McKennie.

And yet you actually wasted our time complaining not about who was called in, but who you have decided might have been called in under other circumstances. Seriously, LMFAO.

Presumably you had a bad day since you couldn't work Landon Donovan into your whining.

Reaction Score
It truly is amazing how you manage to search for the bad among things that you previously complained about being addressed. Yes to CCV and Gooch, addressing the fact that they have other countries as options. A mostly European based squad, including our first look at McKennie.

And yet you actually wasted our time complaining not about who was called in, but who you have decided might have been called in under other circumstances. Seriously, LMFAO.

Presumably you had a bad day since you couldn't work Landon Donovan into your whining.

What’s the matter dude? You angry that they called in CCV?

Sapong is a waste of a call up. He is like a poor man’s Zardes or Wondo.

Reaction Score
What’s the matter dude? You angry that they called in CCV?

Sapong is a waste of a call up. He is like a poor man’s Zardes or Wondo.

Sapong sucks. So what? You think he's part of the plan going forward (other than to call in to fill out depleted rosters for meaningless friendlies). Who did you want to see that he took the spot of? Green? Who can't seem to get on the field at any level any more?

Reaction Score
I wouldn't mind seeing Carleton or Weah get the call.

Anyone in that 28-30 age range who hasn't made an impact shouldn't be on these rosters.

Reaction Score
Sapong sucks. So what? You think he's part of the plan going forward (other than to call in to fill out depleted rosters for meaningless friendlies). Who did you want to see that he took the spot of? Green? Who can't seem to get on the field at any level any more?

Haji Wright. But I guess you think maybe he’s not ready for a meaningless Friendly against Portugal.

Sapong and Dwyer are just there to protect MLS equities. We shouldn’t invest a minute into players that old.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't mind seeing Carleton or Weah get the call.

Anyone in that 28-30 age range who hasn't made an impact shouldn't be on these rosters.

Watch us lose Weah to another country once Gulati wins and the program is under the hands of a troglodyte like Kinnear or Vermes.

Reaction Score
Watch us lose Weah to another country once Gulati wins and the program is under the hands of a troglodyte like Kinnear or Vermes.

Did you watch the U-17s? Weah has huge upside obviously, and played one great game, but was largely invisible throughout the tourney. Haji Wright is barely playing in D-2. I don't get the desire to see kids who are clearly viewed by even their clubs as not ready to make an impact yet.

I'll make one more point on this, because it relates to the teen age Gonzalez in Mexico as well. The thought that the youngsters who are in our youth international program don't have enough contacts with US Soccer, and are going to bold for another country because they're not invited to as meaningless a friendly as will ever exist in the international soccer cycle, is absurd. These kids all have an idea what their options are and where they stand. if Weah wants to play for Liberia internationally that would suck, but if he does it's not going to be because he wasn't called up for this. It's going to be because he wants to play at an international level and he's not sure he's good enough to get playing time for the U.S. when he wants it. That's totally different than a CCV who may want not to play in a World Cup but to win one and views his actually country as a better choice for that if he gets called up.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Can you maybe wait til something bad actually happens before you begin whining about it? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Did you watch the U-17s? Weah has huge upside obviously, and played one great game, but was largely invisible throughout the tourney. Haji Wright is barely playing in D-2. I don't get the desire to see kids who are clearly viewed by even their clubs as not ready to make an impact yet.

I'll make one more point on this, because it relates to the teen age Gonzalez in Mexico as well. The thought that the youngsters who are in our youth international program don't have enough contacts with US Soccer, and are going to bold for another country because they're not invited to as meaningless a friendly as will ever exist in the international soccer cycle, is absurd. These kids all have an idea what their options are and where they stand. if Weah wants to play for Liberia internationally that would suck, but if he does it's not going to be because he wasn't called up for this. It's going to be because he wants to play at an international level and he's not sure he's good enough to get playing time for the U.S. when he wants it. That's totally different than a CCV who may want not to play in a World Cup but to win one and views his actually country as a better choice for that if he gets called up.

Barely playing D2=Playing in MLS.

Reaction Score
No problem with this roster. Glad they are giving a break to Pulisic and Wood. It’s a nothing friendly under a care taker manager. If it meant anyone playing gets capped and committed to play for the US I’d say lock up Weah, CCC, and the others. It’s not.

Excited to see CCV get some run.... hopefully.

Will be interested to see the Portugal roster (I haven’t checked yet). If the go with an A or B team, they are going to light this US team up.

Reaction Score
Barely playing D2=Playing in MLS.

So then Sapong is o.k. because he'd be barely playing in the German second? Do you even bother to read what you're saying when you're in complain/attack mode?

Reaction Score
So then Sapong is o.k. because he'd be barely playing in the German second? Do you even bother to read what you're saying when you're in complain/attack mode?

He might not even be good enough for that level.

And Sapong is 28, and Wright is almost a decade younger. It’s amazing to me that this continues to evade you.

Reaction Score
Portugal with a largely experimental squad. Decent number of youngsters on their side with a shot at making the WC roster (especially at the CB position). Will be interesting to see what comes of it but I feel like this is a 3-0 Portugal win considering what's at stake for almost every one of their fringe players.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I don't mind this roster. I think they are doing some of the things that need to be done. You see a lot of youth and we're going to get a look (or another look) at some players that certainly deserve a look. You DON'T see the mainstays like Howard, Bradley, Altidore, Wood, Pulisic, etc. I think that's also the right thing to do right now. We know what we have with those players. We now have 2 years to figure out what we have with everyone else. In 2019, we sort out our true best 11 and prepare for the qualifying rounds with a better squad and hopefully a better coach...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You mean like missing the World Cup?
Oh you can whine about that, it's happened. The stuff you're whining about now, has not and may never. You are whining about players being called in, who were not actually called in. :confused: I mean, we know you like whining, but please, you don't need to make up stuff to whine about.

Reaction Score
I think you go with pure youth. Set a goal to qualify for the Olympics, and use that as a platform to blood the new kids.

I don’t see much appetite to bring people like Altidore, Howard and Bradley in any meaningful way.
Oh you can whine about that, it's happened. The stuff you're whining about now, has not and may never. You are whining about players being called in, who were not actually called in. :confused: I mean, we know you like whining, but please, you don't need to make up stuff to whine about.

Don’t confuse whining with pointing out that the US Soccer establishment is still hung up on protecting its equities despite the fact that doing so was the root cause of this historic miss.

Here’s to hoping that Sarachan and company can’t even get a job coaching an overpriced suburban U-12 odp squad next spring.

Reaction Score
Don’t confuse whining with pointing out that the US Soccer establishment is still hung up on protecting its equities despite the fact that doing so was the root cause of this historic miss.

So we're bringing Sargent who's on his way to Bremen. Andrew Carleton is close to that level, but signed to ATLU. Could it be that MLS doesn't want to showcase and potentially lose their prized possessions early? Just throwing it out there - I mean, what's the point of Bedoya getting called?

Reaction Score
So we're bringing Sargent who's on his way to Bremen. Andrew Carleton is close to that level, but signed to ATLU. Could it be that MLS doesn't want to showcase and potentially lose their prized possessions early? Just throwing it out there - I mean, what's the point of Bedoya getting called?

Another baffling selection..

Reaction Score

Also watch how hard they make it for Carleton to move to Europe. There is a reason why Weston and Haji ran away when they could.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
3:45 today FS1.

Looks like

Horvath
Yeldin - Miazga - Brooks - Lichaj
Adams - Williams - McKennie - Acosta
Sapong - Agudelo

Could be a 4-2-3-1 also??

Online statistics

Members online