Portland to WNBA (?) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Portland to WNBA (?)

Reaction Score
Fertitta from Houston is now interested in bringing the W back. Given that he already owns the Rockets, gotta figure he’d have an advantage in winning an expansion.
There has been some low-key talk about Houston getting back into the W, same with Detroit. A lot of investment groups and other big money folks are looking to bring teams to the WNBA. Great time for expansion with such a wealth of talented players currently on WNBA rosters, players coming out of college, players in college, and players that are currently in high school. The women's game is in great hands!

Reaction Score
I’d like to see Philly. It is a hoops city. Arenas:

Wells Fargo (Sixers) 20,000

Liacouras Center (Temple, NCAA Regionals) 10,000

Palestra (Penn, historic) 8,700
Would Philly support women's basketball? I remember the Philadelphia Rage aka Richmond Rage, back in the 90s in the ABL. They were fun to watch but even hometown legend Dawn Staley could not get fans in the seats. Maybe the minds have changed over the years amongst the fans.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
But my argument was about the southeast in general — it does not have a great track record in supporting non -FB sports.
I met a woman from Atlanta about 10 years ago. She told me the major religion in the Southeast is college football.

Similarly, the top 3 sports Texas are college football, pro football, and high school football.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
One of the nice things about all this expansion is that investor groups are actually pushing and fighting for a franchise. That's a huge indication of the increased interest in the WNBA. Also with salaries set to rise in the very near future, it's becoming a much more lucrative market.

I hope the W continues to be a "destination" sport where interest continues to grow. I'd like to see the W tell Atlanta to get a new facility to play in, or risk losing the franchise. Not sure it's possible for the W to pressure them like that, but no excuse to play in a 3,500 seat arena. If Atlanta isn't interested in supporting their team, apparently plenty of other places for them to go.

Not sure where i'd like to see the next franchise go, but I don't think you can look to WNBA "history" for fan interest since the entire WNBA landscape has changes so much in the past few years...

Reaction Score
One of the nice things about all this expansion is that investor groups are actually pushing and fighting for a franchise. That's a huge indication of the increased interest in the WNBA.

I hope the W continues to be a "destination" sport where interest continues to grow. I'd like to see the W tell Atlanta to get a new facility to play in, or risk losing the franchise. Not sure it's possible for the W to pressure them like that, but no excuse to play in a 3,500 seat arena. If Atlanta isn't interested in supporting their team, apparently plenty of other places for them to go.

The market should be able to handle it. If the team isn’t being supported then the franchise is likely losing money, and there’d be incentive to sell it since franchises are in demand now and almost surely at an all-time high in terms of valuation.

Since Philly has added a W team to their bid to get a new arena downtown, I’m guessing that will tip things to them.

That still leaves Houston’s Fertitta. Maybe they’re next up in a few years out or could take ATL?

Reaction Score
Since The Wings ownership has no clue on how to run a franchise maybe they can relocate to Houston then the final opening would or could be Philadelphia.

Reaction Score
Since The Wings ownership has no clue on how to run a franchise maybe they can relocate to Houston then the final opening would or could be Philadelphia.
How would a relocation improve things if the same ownership group is in place? Or are you suggesting they sell the team to a group who would move the team to Houston?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom