Portals, Waivers, and Possible College Basketball Free Agency | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Portals, Waivers, and Possible College Basketball Free Agency

Reaction Score
I’ll add a twist. Recruits and schools negotiate the length of time a scholarship is good for 1-4 years. A player can transfer without sitting out under any of the following conditions:
1. The contract has expired.
2. The coach is fired.
3. The player and school agree to the transfer. This one is tricky since a school may not want to get a rep for always playing hardball. But it would take care of players like Rakim Lubin.

Reaction Score
Kids should have the free choice to go wherever they wish to play, but they need to figure out a way to stop 95% of MBB becoming the top of a funnel for Duke, UNC, UK, and Kansas.
ESPN is happy to show those teams in prime time almost every night with their lead broadcasting crews. All the best players on all the fewest teams. We can’t change that.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Put transfer caps on each team. Only two transfers can be on your team at once.

It's still gonna hurt the smaller schools imo. Those schools don't have a lot of talent, so poaching the top kid really, really hurts a program like that. The big schools don't need to take a lot of kids. Say the Top 10 teams took two transfers each. That's 20 kids. If they are all quality kids, that effectively pillages lesser programs.

And if you take a grad transfer as a one-year rental, you take a scholarship hit for two years instead of one.

If everyone can play immediately, then a 'grad transfer' isn't a thing, right? You've got 4 years of eligibility to play wherever you want.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Obviously, only within the limits of other programs willing to use one of their valuable available scholarships on you. You sign on to the "portal", and coaches can then try to recruit you, or even re-recruit you.

Reaction Score
If and when schools are forced to guarantee 4 year scholarships then maybe some of y’all would have an argument against transfers.

Till that day comes, there’s no argument against it.

I’m sorry, but the success or failure of your favorite team and, thus, the enjoyment you derive from consuming* this product* should have zero bearing on where a kid decides to play ball and live their lives.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
If and when schools are forced to guarantee 4 year scholarships then maybe some of y’all would have an argument against transfers.
Till that day comes, there’s no argument against it.

Why? This is hardly a big problem, rarely is a scholarship not honored if the kid follows the rules, actually tries, and really wants to stay. And If a kid has a scholarship pulled, he should obviously be allowed to transfer where ever he wants.

Otherwise, a kid could come in he could effectively do whatever he wants. You couldn't kick him off the team for not giving a crap. The kid has to have some incentive to walk the straight and narrow.

Now, if you are talking about instituting 4 year guarantees based on getting kicked off to accept replacement transfers, then that's something to look at.

I’m sorry, but the success or failure of your favorite team and, thus, the enjoyment you derive from consuming* this product* should have zero bearing on where a kid decides to play ball and live their lives.

If it's a free for all, then it's not an even playing field so not worth having as a sport. Cuncel da baseketball.

The entire 'product' revolves around being a fair competition, if you don't have that, you don't have a sport. Then there's no scholarships for anybody.

Reaction Score
Why? This is hardly a big problem, rarely is a scholarship not honored if the kid follows the rules, actually tries, and really wants to stay. And If a kid has a scholarship pulled, he should obviously be allowed to transfer where ever he wants.

Otherwise, a kid could come in he could effectively do whatever he wants. You couldn't kick him off the team for not giving a crap. The kid has to have some incentive to walk the straight and narrow.

Now, if you are talking about instituting 4 year guarantees based on getting kicked off to accept replacement transfers, then that's something to look at.

If it's a free for all, then it's not an even playing field so not worth having as a sport. Cuncel da baseketball.

The entire 'product' revolves around being a fair competition, if you don't have that, you don't have a sport. Then there's no scholarships for anybody.

You make a lot of intellectual jumps here; this will not cause college basketball, or college sports, to cease to exists.

I don’t think this will be nearly as devasting to non blue blood schools as some are saying. For every kid that leaves to go to Kansas, it’ll force someone from Kansas’ roster and give schools farther down the ladder access to Kansas-level talent that otherwise wouldn’t have that access.

Talented coaches will know how to navigate this system.

Remember, the only reason you care about this is because it impacts something that is a form of entertainment to you. I think it’s wrong to try and tell someone how to make life decisions based on what’s best for your favorite basketball team, y’know? If a kid is on a theatre or music scholarship to UConn and they want to transfer, should they have to sit out a year at their new school before they perform again?

Bottom line: if a kid doesn’t want to be at UConn, then let them leave. They shouldn’t be punished for that decision.

The arguments you and others here are using are the same arguments that were used against free agency in pro sports 40 or 50 years ago. Those arguments were wrong then and they are wrong now.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
You make a lot of intellectual jumps here; this will not cause college basketball, or college sports, to cease to exists.

I didn't mean it would cause it to cease. Just that it would be pointless to watch a system that skewed towards the few. It's kinda like our economy!

I don’t think this will be nearly as devasting to non blue blood schools as some are saying. For every kid that leaves to go to Kansas, it’ll force someone from Kansas’ roster and give schools farther down the ladder access to Kansas-level talent that otherwise wouldn’t have that access.

Yeah, but the rich already got richer. The other schools will be much further down the line than they were, even if they get some of the top schools' dregs.

Talented coaches will know how to navigate this system.

Talented coaches with the most money to spend will navigate the system. More so than now.

Remember, the only reason you care about this is because it impacts something that is a form of entertainment to you. I think it’s wrong to try and tell someone how to make life decisions based on what’s best for your favorite basketball team, y’know? If a kid is on a theatre or music scholarship to UConn and they want to transfer, should they have to sit out a year at their new school before they perform again?

Dude, we the fans are the whole reason why this monstrosity exists. Without us, there's no MCBB as we know it.

The arguments you and others here are using are the same arguments that were used against free agency in pro sports 40 or 50 years ago. Those arguments were wrong then and they are wrong now.

That's not a good analogy. Pro sports are not in any way like MCBB, other than there's a lot of money involved. In MCBB, there's no draft, there's no way to alter/regulate their spending (salary cap stuff). There's no farm system. Practice squad. etc etc Replenishing players is a lot harder, and higher risk.

It takes two or three years of recruiting a kid to land him. And then he leaves, and you got a hole in your lineup. And you couldn't recruit some other kid cause your stud was ahead of him and nobody wanted to sit.

I mean, if we want to go this route, then there should be a draft of sorts, where every year, the worst teams get to choose the high school player they most want in order of finish. Yes, I get how ridiculous that sounds.

Last edited:

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I think the NCAA giving Justin Fields immediate eligibility will come back to haunt some schools and the NCAA as a whole. It was a short sighted decision as he wasn't leaving because of any reason but being behind an potential first round pick next year at quarterback. That's not a reason, but that decision will harm teams for years to come

Reaction Score
My gut tells me the NCAA cares most about how attractive its schools' products are to broadcasters so the system will evolve like it has for pro sports.

The best kids want the spotlight and the name schools offer that, the name schools make for the best ratings, the best ratings bring the highest revenue, the NCAA wants the revenue and ESPN wants its share, so guess what will happen over a few years? The system will be pure free agency and guys like Ja will be at some name school after his freshman year.

They might even be so bold as to cut out the automatic bids to the lesser conferences. Why share the money?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom