Portal Shopping List | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Portal Shopping List

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I don't beleive Geno has to go to the portal. He has 13 players right now.

Yes it is a young team in many respects, but this is how you keep the program relevant.

Develop the young talent. Live with their mistakes. Encourage them at every opportunity. Geno has the frontline depth now. No question he has the guards.

He may surprise us all and play 10+ players a game.

Reaction Score
Lots of great thoughts here, but not one mentions Hailey Van Lith. Controversial for sure, but think of the experience and knowledge of the top competition. Love to hear comments about her vs Chen.

Reaction Score

Yes it is a young team in many respects, but this is how you keep the program relevant.

Develop the young talent. Live with their mistakes. Encourage them at every opportunity. Geno has the frontline depth now. No question he has the guards.

And if we once again have 5 season ending injuries? Or just a couple, but all at the same position? Or a couple of newbies who don't pan out? Or a couple of players who don't recover from injuries as thoroughly or as quickly as we hope?

Having 15 players as opposed to 13 doesn't eliminate those risks, but it can mitigate the impact of some of those question marks. If Geno has 15 reliable and healthy players, I have every confidence that he'll find a way to play them.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score

Yes, 13 as of right now, however it's a reasonable guess that Aubrey won't play until the second semester, so that's 12. And that's assuming that Azzi, Caroline, and Ayanna will be ready in November. There's a lot of fluidity with who will be ready to go, especially as we won't know how much of the summer session these players participate in.

Reaction Score
Considering we ended this Big East Tournament one injury away from having to disqualify, it seems prudent to have 15 bodies on the roster. 14 and 15 in Nov can easily be 7 and 8 by March.

There is no minimum roster limit in the NCAA tournament.

The general rules, which apply to the regular season as well as to the tournament, say that you must have five players at the start of a game. But you are allowed to go down to as few as two during the game. Even one under certain circumstances.

Any special rules that conferences have adopted do not apply to any game during the tournament.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

The general rules, which apply to the regular season as well as to the tournament, say that you must have five players at the start of a game. But you are allowed to go down to as few as two during the game. Even one under certain circumstances.

Any special rules that conferences have adopted do not apply to any game during the tournament.
The Big East requires 7 healthy scholarship players.

Reaction Score

Normally I would agree 100% with the sentiment that we should build through recruitment. But the injury history of so many of our players makes me anxious. Can we realistically think that Azzi, Carol, Aubrey, and Ayanna will be reliably available and at the top of their game. Azzi has struggled to maintain the shooting touch she had as a recruit and freshman. To me that’s representative of the challenges faced by athletes recovering from major injury. Even Paige took awhile to get back up to speed. These four wonderful talented young athletes are almost a third of the team. I think UCONN would be gambling if it did not take the opportunity to deepen the bench. Probably don’t need more shooting guards- but having another solid point guard that could split time with KK and prevent the zebras from blocking our defensive intensity would be a nice luxury. I also like the previously mentioned idea of adding another post so we can play fast with fresh legs.

Reaction Score

The Big East Tournament there is, which is what my post was about. With Aaliyah out with a broken nose we were one injury away from disqualifying.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
All things considered, I encourage Geno to slip into the portal for some frontcourt help. My strong preference would be for a grad transfer (irrespective of the position).

I see a significant a difference between a grad transfer and the other version. I don't support the play immediately part of the undergrad transfer, but that toothpaste is out of the tube. A grad transfer rewards academic achievement: You did the work and you got your degree. And if in fact another school offers a graduate program of interest and your original school does not, and you have a year of eligibility left, then I support the transfer and the immediate opportunity to play. In sum, at least on paper, the grad transfer rewards academics. Beyond all that, a scholarship for a grad transfer does not take up a scholarship that could be used on a recruit in future years, and a recruit knows that that player will not be around when it comes her time to matriculate and lace them up.

The undergrad transfer does no such thing. It helps the rich stay rich or get richer. So I prefer UConn, with their preeminent brand, not engage in it, if possible. If Geno does go for an undergrad, he needs to walk a fine line (as others have noted) and not make a current young player feel like she's being recruited over.

I'm eager to see how it all turns out. Good luck, Geno.

Reaction Score
She’s 6’3”, mostly a stretch-4 (over half of her attempts were from three) but can also score in the post and mid-range. Shot 39.5% from three and 88.5% on free throws.
I was impressed by her play in the tournament.......... she can shoot and has good rebounding skills.......I suspect she will stay out West possibly to Stanford or UCLA but if she wants to appreciate all four seasons UConn would be as good a spot as any..........can we make a package deal for Beers if she enters the portal too?

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
The team has everything they need.
I'd rather find ways to develop a flexible strategy for our abundance of riches to maximize the number of players who can be used effectively and overcome the challenges that each opponent's roster and style present.

Reaction Score
I also see Lety Vasconcelos the 6'7" center from Baylor is in the portal. She was a freshman this year and has 4 more years of eligibility. Geno only marginally recruited her.
Kaitlyn Chen I think is more of a ball-dominant guard and I don't think points will be a problem for us this year. We also need to get more athletic. Shade isn't the most fleet of foot and neither is Que or IceInteresting I also see Saylor Poffenberger in the portal. Has she matured enough to come back home in the fold? Double points and rebounding are a rarity.
Hannah Gusters the 6'5" center from Oklahoma State is a load in the paint and has put up decent numbers.
(14.3 ppg, 4.1 RPG) She is a Senior and a one-year rental.
Grace VanSlooten, 6’3, F, Soph. (15 ppg, 7.1 rpg, 2.6 apg) is a beast and if we get her is will be a major upgrade. She is remarkably agile for a big.
Nyayongah Gony a 6'4" Jr. forward is super athletic Not a major points person but defense is a premium at Miss St.

TCU

Reaction Score
A reminder that it is 2024 and not 2014. The game has significantly changed. It would be silly and delusional for Geno and UCONN to avoid using the transfer portal under this notion of only sticking to development when literally all of the competition sans maybe Stanford is going to be fighting hard tooth and nail for the transfer portal. The last two champions (LSU and SC) succeeded due to recruiting but also because of key transfers that gave them the edge (Angel Reese last year and Te-Hina PaoPao this year).

Reagan Beers would be an awesome addition and would probably start knowing Geno.

Reaction Score
Maybe I don’t understand, and not to quote the Book of Matthew, but I don’t think there is room at the Inn? I thought 15 was max?

Edit: okay, so, 15 scholarships, but walk-one can also be there with no scholastic aid. Couldn’t find a limit on that though. So, I guess not all UConn Women are on scholarship?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I
She’s 6’3”, mostly a stretch-4 (over half of her attempts were from three) but can also score in the post and mid-range. Shot 39.5% from three and 88.5% on free throws.
and she rebounds at 7 a game for a non starter! She’s everything we can only hope Ice can become as a shooter but ALREADY IS. Until Beers declares, she’s my #1 portal focus. If and when Beers enters make it a double order of Beavers for me!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The last NCAA championships since UConn won in 2016 and notable transfers:

2017 South Carolina: Davis and Gray

2018 Notre Dame: Shepard

2019 Baylor: Jackson

2021 Stanford: None?

2022 South Carolina: Cardoso

2023 LSU: Reese, Morris, Williams, Carson, Poole

2024 South Carolina: Cardoso

In 6 of the last 7 championships, a key transfer was instrumental in getting her team the win. I think it's a mistake not to utilize the portal.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
The last NCAA championships since UConn won in 2016 and notable transfers:

2017 South Carolina: Davis and Gray

2018 Notre Dame: Shepard

2019 Baylor: Jackson

2021 Stanford: None?

2022 South Carolina: Cardoso

2023 LSU: Reese, Morris, Williams, Carson, Poole

2024 South Carolina: Cardoso

In 6 of the last 7 championships, a key transfer was instrumental in getting her team the win. I think it's a mistake not to utilize the portal.
Plus 2024, Paopao.

Reaction Score
Sorry but I rather watch our incoming and current players develop then add players through the portal and potentially lose current players because they aren't playing or getting minutes.
Agreed
I would very surprise if UConn has any interest
In the portal
We have 10 returning plane with some point been
A starter and three very highly regarded
Freshman
People talk about the portal like this is the NBA we’re let’s go out and get some players for insurance crazy

Reaction Score
6'6" Kyla Oldacre out of Miami of Ohio.
2023-24 (As a Sophomore)
  • Started all but one non-conference game
  • Played nearly 31 minutes, scoring 10 while blocking three shots and grabbing eight boards to help Miami past Southern Nov. 17
  • Held it down in the paint, scoring 10 while reeling in seven boards to aid in the 75-70 win against DePaul Dec. 8
  • Scored 11 points and nabbed six boards against No. 10/13 Baylor
  • Reeled in a career-best nine boards at Boston College Jan. 4
  • Notched a career-high six blocks to help Miami set a program record for blocks in a game during the win against Wake Forest Jan. 7

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
All things considered, I encourage Geno to slip into the portal for some frontcourt help. My strong preference would be for a grad transfer (irrespective of the position).

I see a significant a difference between a grad transfer and the other version. I don't support the play immediately part of the undergrad transfer, but that toothpaste is out of the tube. A grad transfer rewards academic achievement: You did the work and you got your degree. And if in fact another school offers a graduate program of interest and your original school does not, and you have a year of eligibility left, then I support the transfer and the immediate opportunity to play. In sum, at least on paper, the grad transfer rewards academics. Beyond all that, a scholarship for a grad transfer does not take up a scholarship that could be used on a recruit in future years, and a recruit knows that that player will not be around when it comes her time to matriculate and lace them up.

The undergrad transfer does no such thing. It helps the rich stay rich or get richer. So I prefer UConn, with their preeminent brand, not engage in it, if possible. If Geno does go for an undergrad, he needs to walk a fine line (as others have noted) and not make a current young player feel like she's being recruited over.

I'm eager to see how it all turns out. Good luck, Geno.
I tend to agree, but no doubt this is a lot better for the athletes and doesn't involve rather odd waiver decisions.

It is why the Juco Pania Davis sounds interesting to me - 6'6 Aussie who does not shoot the three and blocks 3 shots per game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom