OT: - Popular vocalist you dislike (for any reason) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Popular vocalist you dislike (for any reason)

Reaction Score
Whitney Houston agreed. doesn’t so much sing as yell.
bob Dylan...yuck.
any of the singers since the 90s who sound like they’re grunting on the toilet...a la nickelback.

Reaction Score
Ethel Merman. A voice that could kill trees and make animals start hibernating. As a kid, it seemed like she was on Ed Sullivan every other week...along with Ed’s other geezer faves like Sophie Tucker and Jimmy Durante

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Otis Redding? This man is one of the smoothest, most soulful voices ever. Too soon departed.

To me he was not smooth. He made some smooth songs wild. Listen to the difference between his version of "Try A Little Tenderness" and the Aretha Franklin version. You will see what smooth is from Aretha on that song. I did not like that "got ta got ta got ta kind of style. Smooth to me is the lead singers of the Flamingos, Spaniels, Heart Beats, and the second version of the Five Satins, among others. Mathis, Sinatra, Como and Cole personify smooth. JMO.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Geez, there are so many. But a few jump right to the front:

Celine Dion -- on so many levels.
Christopher Cross, the guy who sings for REO Speedwagon, and the guy who sings for Cheap Trick. Don't like their music, don't like their songs, don't like their voices.
Geddy Lee -- I actually have a great deal of respect for Rush, I want to like them, but my reaction to his voice is at the most base level, I can't get past it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
To me he was not smooth. He made some smooth songs wild. Listen to the difference between his version of "Try A Little Tenderness" and the Aretha Franklin version. You will see what smooth is from Aretha on that song. I did not like that "got ta got ta got ta kind of style. Smooth to me is the lead singers of the Flamingos, Spaniels, Heart Beats, and the second version of the Five Satins, among others. Mathis, Sinatra, Como and Cole personify smooth. JMO.

Not smooth. Soulful. And a legend.

Reaction Score

Christopher Cross, the guy who sings for REO Speedwagon, and the guy who sings for Cheap Trick. Don't like their music, don't like their songs, don't like their voices.
Geddy Lee -- I actually have a great deal of respect for Rush, I want to like them, but my reaction to his voice is at the most base level, I can't bet past it.
Rush is extremely talented, but as far as Geddy Lee's voice is concerned, I'd say its a toss up between listening to him sing, or getting poked with a sharp stick in the eye!

Reaction Score
Whitney Houston! I don't know...........maybe its just the song, but if I have to listen to "I Will Always Love You" ...................... AGAIN, the 'regurgitation' process will be imminent! :p
The Dolly version is SO much better.

Reaction Score

Geddy Lee -- I actually have a great deal of respect for Rush, I want to like them, but my reaction to his voice is at the most base level, I can't get past it.
Celine Dion makes me want to stab my brain.

Reaction Score
Billy Ray Cyrus. Every time I heard his "Achy Breaky Heart it was like metal nails going across a chalk board. Then, to top it off, he's responsible for giving the world Milay Cyrus.

Reaction Score
Wow. When I looked at the description of the post I expected to see a group of second rate vocalists. Sort of surprised to see some of the names like Smokey, Otis, Sinatra and Elvis. Goes to show, some peoples junk are other peoples treasuers and visa versa. Aside from "Memories Are Made Of This" I never really cared for Dean Martin. When he sang "That's Amore" I sort of wished someone would throw a Pizza Pie in his eye.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Celine Dion makes me want to stab my brain.
Sometimes she is okay to listen to but very hard to watch. She acts as if she is God's gift to singing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom