Poor Shoni | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Poor Shoni

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Shoni's exactly what RU's missing.....the deadly 3pt shooter or 2!! Change teams and RU is L'ville and Lville is RU. I think I read somewhere it was down to L'ville and RU for her services a few yrs back ? I hope Shrita Parker from Va. can fill that role next year.

Reaction Score
Sonny...Why not just "Shoni" in stead of "Poor Shoni"?
I guess I just feel sorry for her. She had very little support that night and lost oh so many times to us. And as a senior this season is her last chance.

Reaction Score
I think she [Jude] could play in the WNBA. Though I think she'd be more of a role-player like Kelly was last year.

If I was to compare Jude to a former UConn player it wouldn't be Kelly, she doesn't have that hard-nosed defensive edge. I think a very fair comparison for Jude would be Meg Gardler.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I guess I just feel sorry for her. She had very little support that night and lost oh so many times to us. And as a senior this season is her last chance.

it seems very patronizing to me...I guess it is just my take.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score

I'm glad Ozzie asked the question and that you clarified, because I had the same initial interpretation on the thread title. Definitely shows the limitation of language!

Reaction Score
Did anyone notice that Shoni tried to post up Mojet a few times and they
couldn't get her the ball. I don't remember seeing that in the previous
games. Interesting strategy if they could have gotten her the ball.

Reaction Score
it seems very patronizing to me...I guess it is just my take.
She does for some strange reason elicit sympathetic and nurturing feelings !?! Maybe its because we all want to see her win and succeed unless its against UConn?Go get em Shoni !!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I have to say that at least she got the UConn Monkey off her back. I'm sure she was happy to see shots go in.

I wonder if she sees it that way. Shot 7 for 25: under 30%. Another way of looking at it is she shot her team out of contention.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Just to confirm, we are talking about 5-6 Jude Schimmel, who is averaging 5.2 points, 3 assists and 2.6 rebounds, shooint 29% from three point range and 58% from the FT line playing in the WNBA? Mulkey's daughter will play in the WNBA before Jude will, and that ain't happening either.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If I was to compare Jude to a former UConn player it wouldn't be Kelly, she doesn't have that hard-nosed defensive edge. I think a very fair comparison for Jude would be Meg Gardler.

I'm sorry, but Jude is not half the player that Faris was/is.

Reaction Score
There is a seat reserved for Shoni in the Hall of NCAA greats. Just last year's performance against Baylor is enough to gain entrance. Attracting 22,000 to the Yum center to a large extent by the force of her personality is another accomplishment. Yes, UConn contributed to that turnout, and dimmed the lights for Louisville. But greatness isn't always measured by success and Shoni is deserving for all that she has done for women's basketball. She will always be remembered.

Reaction Score
I wasn't comparing her to Kelly, I noted that her role on a WNBA team would be similar to Kelly's role on the Sun last year. Pretty much what her role is now.
Her steal in the USF game was a game-saver for the Cards. I think she'll be a key player for them next year.

Reaction Score
While we're discussing the Schimmels, the documentary about them 'Off the Rez' is on ITunes. It's $5 to rent I believe.
It's very good, worth a watch.

Reaction Score
Shoni's exactly what RU's missing.....the deadly 3pt shooter or 2!! Change teams and RU is L'ville and Lville is RU. I think I read somewhere it was down to L'ville and RU for her services a few yrs back ? I hope Shrita Parker from Va. can fill that role next year.

I think RU is a power forward away from being a top team in the country. Their center could be a shot blocking machine next year. They'll be fun to watch in the ACC at the very least (that is where there going, right?).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
While we're discussing the Schimmels, the documentary about them 'Off the Rez' is on ITunes. It's $5 to rent I believe.
It's very good, worth a watch.

How do you watch those things anyway? Do you have to use your computer?

Reaction Score

I don't think she's too disappointed about it. I think the whole country realizes that UCONN is a juggernaut this season and was turning into one at the end of last season.

They may still have another chance or UCONN could get upset or lose to Notre Dame in the meantime. Nothing's for certain in sports.

Reaction Score
Just to confirm, we are talking about 5-6 Jude Schimmel, who is averaging 5.2 points, 3 assists and 2.6 rebounds, shooint 29% from three point range and 58% from the FT line playing in the WNBA? Mulkey's daughter will play in the WNBA before Jude will, and that ain't happening either.

Jude has been supporting her sister since she joined the team. I don't doubt that she could've started on any number of other teams and been a great scorer. I think she'll shine next season at Louisville.

As for the WNBA I think she has a good chance of being drafted since they'll probably continue to be in the national spotlight.

Reaction Score
There is a seat reserved for Shoni in the Hall of NCAA greats. Just last year's performance against Baylor is enough to gain entrance. Attracting 22,000 to the Yum center to a large extent by the force of her personality is another accomplishment. Yes, UConn contributed to that turnout, and dimmed the lights for Louisville. But greatness isn't always measured by success and Shoni is deserving for all that she has done for women's basketball. She will always be remembered.

"That Shot" the "Griner Shot" probably cemented her fame as well as the TLC program about her.

If she gets drafted by the Washington Mystics I'll buy a season ticket with courtside seats and go to every game this year.

Reaction Score
I'm glad Ozzie asked the question and that you clarified, because I had the same initial interpretation on the thread title. Definitely shows the limitation of language!

First: She felt she had to do it alone tonight. At least a couple of her mates grossly under achieved due to our suffocating defense. She had to force a lot of shots. Oh well at least she scored some points.

Later I added: I guess I just feel sorry for her. She had very little support that night and lost oh so many times to us. And as a senior this season is her last chance.

I don't understand the confusion. "Poor somebody" means you feel sorry for them doesn't it? What does simple compassion have to do with patronization??????

Reaction Score
"That Shot" the "Griner Shot" probably cemented her fame as well as the TLC program about her.

If she gets drafted by the Washington Mystics I'll buy a season ticket with courtside seats and go to every game this year.
They made the documentary when she was still in high school.
But you're right, that play was/is a big reason why she's become a household name. I didn't know anything about Louisville other than that Angel McCoughtry played there until that game last year.

Reaction Score
Jude has been supporting her sister since she joined the team. I don't doubt that she could've started on any number of other teams and been a great scorer. I think she'll shine next season at Louisville.

As for the WNBA I think she has a good chance of being drafted since they'll probably continue to be in the national spotlight.

I read somewhere that she got an Ivy League scholarship offer but turned it down to play at Louisville. She has like a 3.8-3.9 GPA and she skipped a grade. Could've actually graduated this year with Shoni, but she's staying to work on her bachelor's.

Reaction Score
I think RU is a power forward away from being a top team in the country. Their center could be a shot blocking machine next year. They'll be fun to watch in the ACC at the very least (that is where there going, right?).
I'm confused?RU isn't going into the ACC? L'ville is but I saw somewhere RU and UConn are going to keep it going either at Barkley Center or MSG because CVS said so in an interview. I don't know if L'ville is on the future schedule or intends to be? And yes Hollivay is gonna be a dominant Post with Butts an above average backup but outside of 2 G's Im not sure a big F is coming in next yr? I'd hope maybe they can find 1 or 2 top 35 type very soon. Lots of luck even finding 1 ha ha.I also heard Geno and CVS liked the venue and discussed hosting a Thanksgiving Tournament there soon?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They made the documentary when she was still in high school.
But you're right, that play was/is a big reason why she's become a household name. I didn't know anything about Louisville other than that Angel McCoughtry played there until that game last year.

It was kind of a legendary game. I didn't even bother to watch it cause I thought Baylor was destined to win it all again. I didn't know who Shoni Schimmel was and if I read about I probably didn't realize she was a Native girl. At the time I just thought "Well, they fouled the heck out of Brittney and wouldn't call the fouls". Which is what happened (I gather cause I've never seen the game).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom