Poor Practice Player Shines During Game | The Boneyard

Poor Practice Player Shines During Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Jimmy Garappalo was impressive for the Patriots in his first NFL game tonight. The announcers kept saying how poorly he had performed during practice and how little was expected, but some players have a "game presence" that belies what occurs in practice. Mirrors our own experience with Casey Cochran.

Reaction Score
When the lights go on and the bullets start flying some players shine

Reaction Score
If talent was all that was needed to succeed as a QB Jeff George and Ryan Leaf would be in the Hall of Fame, yet soft tossers Jeff Garcia and Chad Pennington were better than both of them, Case Keenum is another soft tosser that comes to mind that is having success at the next level. That said Casey needs to practice better, don't leave any doubt.

Last edited:

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Jimmy Garappalo was impressive for the Patriots in his first NFL game tonight. The announcers kept saying how poorly he had performed during practice and how little was expected, but some players have a "game presence" that belies what occurs in practice. Mirrors our own experience with Casey Cochran.

John Wooden told a story over and over about a player like that.

Reaction Score
John Wooden told a story over and over about a player like that.
SDhusky, So sorry to be so far under your skin. You can check the data from the RSS yourself, anyone can. There are charts everywhere. All it takes is an iota of intellectual curiosity.

BTW, it's possible for the continent to be cooling while "part of the continent" melts. It just take reading comprehension to understand.

As to the original observation, coaches tend to over value practice because there is a lot more of it than games. They also control virtually every aspect of practice and the same is not true of games.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well if we assume what we hear is true....

Casey was a 5'11 247 lb quarterback.

Think about that for a minute and then maybe reflect on why he wouldn't be at the top of the depth chart?

Reaction Score
Well if we assume what we hear is true....

Casey was a 5'11 247 lb quarterback.

Think about that for a minute and then maybe reflect on why he wouldn't be at the top of the depth chart?

That shouldn't really matter. Grasp of the offense. Ability to make plays. Production. Using your criteria Russel Wilson (5-11) doesn't see the field.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That shouldn't really matter. Grasp of the offense. Ability to make plays. Production. Using your criteria Russel Wilson (5-11) doesn't see the field.

Do you misrepresent things intentionally or are you seriously this aggressively stupid? I'll spell it out for you:

Quarterbacks are tasked with being leaders. If you are 30 lbs above a proper playing weight, the vast majority of college football coaches are not going to trust you with the position. He was lucky they were so bad they had no choice. I'm sure next you'll show me pictures of Jared Lorenzen because one time someone had a fat quarterback.

Reaction Score
Do you misrepresent things intentionally or are you seriously this aggressively stupid? I'll spell it out for you:

Quarterbacks are tasked with being leaders. If you are 30 lbs above a proper playing weight, the vast majority of college football coaches are not going to trust you with the position. He was lucky they were so bad they had no choice. I'm sure next you'll show me pictures of Jared Lorenzen because one time someone had a fat quarterback.

Lorenzen was a terrific college QB. Even played in the NFL. Coaches shouldn't get caught up in heights and weights.

I am not misrepresenting your position. El Amin was pudgy and he was one of the best leaders to ever step onto the campus.

More to the point, coaches should NOT judge practice as more important than games. Everyone does not fit the same profile. Players need to be judged on production when the lghts are on and the stands are filled.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Lorenzen was a terrific college QB. Even played in the NFL. Coaches shouldn't get caught up in heights and weights.

I am not misrepresenting your position. El Amin was pudgy and he was one of the best leaders to ever step onto the campus.

More to the point, coaches should NOT judge practice as more important than games. Everyone does not fit the same profile. Players need to be judged on production when the lghts are on and the stands are filled.

So they should just put players in games to find out if they are good game players? Just randomly create the depth chart throwing darts, disconnecting game playing time from practice. That sounds like a winning strategy. One that would really build confidence in a coaching staff from the players.

And you did misrepresent my point because I was talking about his weight and you started blabbing about short.

Reaction Score
So they should just put players in games to find out if they are good game players? Just randomly create the depth chart throwing darts, disconnecting game playing time from practice. That sounds like a winning strategy. One that would really build confidence in a coaching staff from the players.

Straw man, no one has said anything remotely like that.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Straw man, no one has said anything remotely like that.

Well then when would someone put a player in games who doesn't earn playing time in practice to hit on this mythical lightening in a bottle?

Reaction Score
Well then when would someone put a player in games who doesn't earn playing time in practice to hit on this mythical lightening in a bottle?
What do you do when the player you put on the field doesn't produce? Pasqualoni just left him in.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
BTW, it's possible for the continent to be cooling while "part of the continent" melts. It just take reading comprehension to understand.

"the longer 50-year trend depicts that, on average, temperatures are rising across the continent" - NASA

On the subject of reading comprehension, what does "across the continent" mean?

Pal - you have a disagreement with NASA - take it up with them, not me. Offer to fly down and help their PHD's interpret the data and explain why they got it all wrong.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What do you do when the player you put on the field doesn't produce? Pasqualoni just left him in.

Yes because making changes really fixed things when Weist took over. They went from run of the mill beatings to not being competitive.

Reaction Score
Yes because making changes really fixed things when Weist took over. They went from run of the mill beatings to not being competitive.

Ha? We were competitive in 5 of the final 8 games and won 3. If they discovered Cochran sooner 4 (USF) or 5 (SMU if that wasn't Cochran's 1st start) wins would have been very possible, i'll even goes as far to say that Louisville was ripe for a beating when we played them if we had better QB play. Heck the Cincy game was close to a draw until the final 3 minutes before the half when our QB imploded.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Ha? We were competitive in 5 of the final 8 games and won 3. If they discovered Cochran sooner 4 (USF) or 5 (SMU if that wasn't Cochran's 1st start) wins would have been very possible, i'll even goes as far to say that Louisville was ripe for a beating when we played them if we had better QB play. Heck the Cincy game was close to a draw until the final 3 minutes before the half when our QB imploded.

If you want to claim that games like Cincinnati were competitive then sure you can come up with any conclusion you want. If you want to say staying 'competitive' with USF at home is an accomplishment that's great too. Louisville was ripe for a beating in a game they won by three touchdowns in which they didn't even pretend to care?

You sound like Mr Burns: I don't know why Harvard bothered to show up, they barely won.

What neither of you geniuses can seem to tell me is how or when the coach determines which bad practice player they should insert into the lineup.

Bad in practice and 30 lbs above playing weight!? You are my starter at the most important position on the field. Seriously everyone is an idiot because they didn't come to that conclusion? Do you not see how painfully idiotic your contentions are?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
BTW, Casey got to play not only the dregs of the conference, but the dregs of FBS. You want to compare Whitmer's performance against Maryland and Michigan to what Casey did against Temple, Rutgers and Memphis and don't seem to want to acknowledge the competitive difference.

And oh yeah one of them played with Foley coaching the offensive line and one didn't.

Reaction Score
If you want to claim that games like Cincinnati were competitive then sure you can come up with any conclusion you want. If you want to say staying 'competitive' with USF at home is an accomplishment that's great too. Louisville was ripe for a beating in a game they won by three touchdowns in which they didn't even pretend to care?

I didn't say we were competitive against Cincy, I said they were ripe for a beating but our QB play terrible. We were competitive in 5 of the final 8, you implied that we weren't competitive in any games.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I didn't say we were competitive against Cincy, I said they were ripe for a beating but our QB play terrible. We were competitive in 5 of the final 8, you implied that we weren't competitive in any games.

Post firing things got worse when you compare the teams they played. There was an uptick at the end against horrid competition.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me when you put in players who don't win jobs in practice and are 30 lbs too heavy. What criteria does a coach use to make that decision?

Reaction Score
BTW, Casey got to play not only the dregs of the conference, but the dregs of FBS. You want to compare Whitmer's performance against Maryland and Michigan to what Casey did against Temple, Rutgers and Memphis and don't seem to want to acknowledge the competitive difference.

I think it is very obvious based on what Diaco has said that Whitmer is going to get another chance early in the season to win the job. I like Whitmer and I think he is a good QB, it would be cruel if every D1 game he played in had PGDL running his team.

I honestly don't care who the QB is, I just want to see the team get back to winning.

I only defend Casey when jackasses on this board imply what he did was easy or not impressive, it certainly was not easy and it was impressive.

Reaction Score
Post firing things got worse when you compare the teams they played. There was an uptick at the end against horrid competition.

Nope, the last game pre-firing was Buffalo and we got spanked and Rutgers is not horrid competition, that's just you being a jerk.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think it is very obvious based on what Diaco has said that Whitmer is going to get another chance early in the season to win the job. I like Whitmer and I think he is a good QB, it would be cruel if every D1 game he played in had PGDL running his team.

I honestly don't care who the QB is, I just want to see the team get back to winning.

I only defend Casey when jackasses on this board imply what he did was easy or not impressive, it certainly was not easy and it was impressive.

He played well. I just don't get why anyone would try to claim the staff made a mistake not putting him in sooner. 247 + poor in practice = a conversation about your committment to the program not a promotion to starting QB.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Nope, the last game pre-firing was Buffalo and we got spanked and Rutgers is not horrid competition, that's just you being a jerk.

Yes I know the Buffalo game everyone quit.

Rutgers was 124th out of 125 FBS teams against the pass... so maybe I'm not being a jerk maybe I understand who was on the schedule.

Since I was the guy telling everyone not to look past Towson, maybe I know what I'm talking about.

Reaction Score
"the longer 50-year trend depicts that, on average, temperatures are rising across the continent" - NASA

On the subject of reading comprehension, what does "across the continent" mean?

Pal - you have a disagreement with NASA - take it up with them, not me. Offer to fly down and help their PHD's interpret the data and explain why they got it all wrong.
A trend can change at any point. You think the 50 year trend will hold?

You have no idea what you are posting about. Just apologize to me and than me for enlightening you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek