PONs for G8 | The Boneyard

PONs for G8

Status
Not open for further replies.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
My biggest disappointment is how this game revealed that Auriemma must pay attention to the Boneyard. In the first half we were outscored 12 to 8 in the paint after many games of dominating the point production there. Obviously Auriemma read about the risk involved with this and decided to reel in the team for that first half. I'm sorry folks, but I don't want any coach, let alone a HOF coach for a juggernaut, determining their coaching strategy from what they read here.

He obviously learned the error of his ways in the second half, as KML scored quite a few of her points in the paint, but by then the damage was done. We are now a team afraid of physical play. Why, our players don't even like getting fouled. Can you imagine that? I know when I played the game getting fouled was the best part!

So our offense is not up to snuff? I have two suggestions for that, the first based on what Auriemma himself observed. It's easier to get fewer players in sync with each other, and Auriemma concedes there is a big difference between the top four and the next four. We saw who the top four were last night. KML, obviously. Banks was tremendous. The period of play that changed the game was when Jefferson came in (and Faris went out for the only time in the game, by the way). Those are three of your four starters right there. I'll begrudgingly allow that Dolson must be the other top four Auriemma had in mind. I suppose you could pick from a hat who the fifth starter should be (though, once again, perhaps Faris's name should be left out of that hat), but those five players then need to get 30+ minutes a game from now on.

Oh, I understand what Auriemma is doing, eye on the prize and all that. Get experience now for 8 or 9 players down the road. No doubt the same reasoning led to him focusing on offense this past week. How did that work out? That's my other piece of advice for improving the offense. They say insanity is doing the same thing and expecting the a different result. For Auriemma to continue his focus on improving offense in practice now would be insane. It doesn't work. He should be focused on improving the defense, instead. Maybe in so doing both our sluggish offense and matador defense will come around.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
The best parody is one that, if you didn't know it was meant to be farce, you could take seriously. This one is good, digger: real good, particularly the latter paragraphs. Well done!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So our offense is not up to snuff? I have two suggestions for that, the first based on what Auriemma himself observed. It's easier to get fewer players in sync with each other, and Auriemma concedes there is a big difference between the top four and the next four. We saw who the top four were last night. KML, obviously. Banks was tremendous.
May I suggest that Geno only play 4 at a time? That would give the added benefit of shortening up his bench also.

Reaction Score
My PON takeaway from the game was what on earth was KML doing shooting the three ball? If you look at her stats, she shot 5 of 5 from the free thow line. Then that dropped down to 4 of 6 from two point land. Then she absolutely killed her game shooting percentage from 3 point land only shooting 4 of 7. If she'd only just drive to the basket and get fouled she could have kept up that 100%. Geno obviously needs to address this with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom