Pomeroys are out | The Boneyard

Pomeroys are out

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
1BE646ED-6B85-47C1-ACFE-7669409F8592.png

Reaction Score
If WSU finishes that high it says a lot about Marshall. They lost a lot of players.

Reaction Score
I'm well known to be one of the biggest KenPom proponents around, but a sizable part of his preseason projections are the "infrastructure." Track record the last few years, coaching record/experience, etc. With a new coach, we're going to be more variable than most. Not to mention the middling efficiency our returning players feature due to bad offensive schemes and bad defensive efficiency due to some lackluster effort in a few games (again I lay much of the blame on the coach).

We're projected 70 spots higher than we finished last year, but I'd bet on us outperforming that. But still, it shows how much we'd have to outperform it to make the dance (another 60 or so spots).

Reaction Score
Since the starting rating is mostly based on last season I'm not surprised. Until a decent amount of games are played the KenPom ratings mean nothing.

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
Who cares about a statistical rating before the season starts where the dude who makes it just takes stuff from last year, regardless of departures, coaching changes, player improvement

Reaction Score
Who cares about a statistical rating before the season starts where the dude who makes it just takes stuff from last year, regardless of departures, coaching changes, player improvement

That stuff is all factored in.

Coaching changes just make things more volatile so it's less likely to be accurate. But the ranking IS adjusted for it.

Returning player production adjusted by age growth and recruiting pedigree is factored in. Minutes consistency and departing production is factored in. Coach pedigree and experience is factored in. Highly ranked recruits are factored in.

I will be honest I'm not sure how Gilbert is handled, though. A bit of a special case. We're probably underrated if he's back to true form.

Why is Memphis projected to go 8-9 in conference?

"Projected record is based on cumulative probabilities of winning each game and may not equal the sum of individual game predictions. "

Reaction Score

Coaching changes just make things more volatile so it's less likely to be accurate. But the ranking IS adjusted for it.

Returning player production adjusted by age growth and recruiting pedigree is factored in. Minutes consistency and departing production is factored in. Coach pedigree and experience is factored in. Highly ranked recruits are factored in.

I will be honest I'm not sure how Gilbert is handled, though. A bit of a special case. We're probably underrated if he's back to true form.

"Projected record is based on cumulative probabilities of winning each game and may not equal the sum of individual game predictions. "
Ya, I didn't understand that.

Reaction Score
Aside from the fact that Pomeroy does factor in most of those things, I presume the people posting in the thread?

If you don't care, why make a show about not caring? There are plenty of other threads.

Reaction Score
Because Houston is obviously playing one of their games....
Good catch! Thought he meant why does it show 8-9 when if you look at the individual games it would be 9-8.

Ya, I didn't understand that.
If you add up all the win probabilities, it adds up to 8.44 wins, but the site shows 9 wins for the individual games. So the expected value is 8.44 wins, but they're favored in 9 games. Means they likely won't win all the games they're favored in because you're just favored in a few. The odds are that they'd win 8 more often than 9 if they played the schedule multiple times, so the site shows 8-9 instead of 9-8.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

If KO was still here, we'd be well south of #250 imo. And that's not a deliberate dig either, just an honest assessment.

I doubt much at all. It's nigh impossible to factor him in, because even the people with the deepest firsthand knowledge of his health can only guess at his upcoming season. And anyone doing national rankings is going to know far, far less than that.

Reaction Score
I am expecting us to do much better. But in the meantime, good. This all serves as motivation for the guys on the team.

Reaction Score
Amusing that the Ivy seems to be emphasizing athletics again to some degree. They have at least 2 ranked FCS teams, Princeton and Dartmouth.

Reaction Score
If WSU finishes that high it says a lot about Marshall. They lost a lot of players.

If Teddy Allen gains eligibility for Wichita State this year, that's HUGE for Marshall's young squad.

Likewise, if Lance Thomas gains eligibility for Memphis this year, that will change the dynamics of Penny's team.

Just those 2 additions will make a difference.. and I don't see why they wouldn't be eligible if Heron got his.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom