Polley is a go!! | The Boneyard

Polley is a go!!

Reaction Score
Looks like polley is going to be ready for the opener. Does this change your projected starting line up?

Attachments

• 3EC64488-CFD3-42BB-954D-2B5F57DF2E26.jpeg
    3EC64488-CFD3-42BB-954D-2B5F57DF2E26.jpeg
    344.7 KB · Views: 1,063
Reaction Score
Happy for Tyler. I think he's an important piece of next year's squad but it does not change my projected starting lineup. I'm expecting about 15 minutes a game, averaging about 7ppg on 6 shots. The talent level for 2020-21 is taking a big step forward and I think that makes Polley a 7th or 8th man. I'll still go with Cole, Bouknight, Jackson, Whaley, and Sanogo with the potential of swapping Gaffney for Jackson.

Reaction Score
I don't think this is news. We've all assumed he would be ready physically for the start of next season. The only question is whether he was mentally ready to trust the knee and not let it influence his play, which is a common issue for those coming off the surgery.

But obviously good that his recovery is going well and I hope he shows up 100% ready to protect his job from newcomers.

Reaction Score
Really happy for him. Being physically ready is awesome. What we don't know is he mentally ready? And they won't know that until first live practice. What depth we will have.

Reaction Score
Happy for him. Makes for any interesting dilemma on minutes, etc. True depth for the first time in years.

Tyler had an amazing game with 19 and 11 right before he got hurt and if he can return to form and play anything like he did in that game that would be a huge boost.I'm not only talking about productivity I'm talking about moving without the ball crashing the boards etc It seemed like things had finally clicked a bit for him.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
He was really starting to come into form and find his niche on the team. Even defensively a bit.

I think he might have a little trouble adjusting with a new team with more talent, depth, and coming off of injury.

But there’s always a spot for a tall guy who can stroke the 3 like he can. He will obviously be our best spot up shooter on the team.

I really hope he can carve out a nice senior season with this team in the Big East. He deserves a role on a great UConn team. The whole senior class does, for sticking with the program through all they’ve been through.

Reaction Score
If he shoots over 40% (which I think he will) he’ll play a lot. A shooter with his size and the spacing the guards will be able to create next year is extremely valuable. If he doesn’t shoot well then as Hurley said on Rothstein’s podcast today there are a lot of front court options for them to roll out there.

Reaction Score
Looks like polley is going to be ready for the opener. Does this change your projected starting line up?
scared the crap out of me lol! I misread it as he was leaving the school. This is great news. This makes us better.

Reaction Score
Wow, pleasantly surprised. His length and three-point shooting will be huge. He'll be next year's Niels Giffey!
Yup. But minus the hops and athleticism. you have to figure though with him and akok they won’t be as much behind the eight ball as they normally would’ve been due to a lot of players not being able to practice during this Covid thing. So that’s one slight positive I guess

Reaction Score
Assuming he is really good to go by then I think he starts and then eventually gets replaced by Jackson at some point. Polley’s shooting is extremely lethal and will in theory only be more effective with defenses focusing on our other threats. Please let there be a year!

Reaction Score
Happy for Tyler. I think he's an important piece of next year's squad but it does not change my projected starting lineup. I'm expecting about 15 minutes a game, averaging about 7ppg on 6 shots. The talent level for 2020-21 is taking a big step forward and I think that makes Polley a 7th or 8th man. I'll still go with Cole, Bouknight, Jackson, Whaley, and Sanogo with the potential of swapping Gaffney for Jackson.
If Tyler plays the way he did in the game before he tore his ACL he will be a main contributor. I am not sure what happened that game but he drove to the hoop,hit outside shots and REBOUNDED like a top notch player.Hopefully he gets back to that level.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Assuming he is really good to go by then I think he starts and then eventually gets replaced by Jackson at some point.
I see Jackson taking it to the rim and if he doesn't have the flush, kicking it out to Polley for 3.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I see Jackson taking it to the rim and if he doesn't have the flush, kicking it out to Polley for 3.

Since they play the same position, I don't expect them to be on the court together all that often. I see Martin being key to how much time Polley gets. If Martin is eligible, Polley has a tough position battle for time. If he is the dynamic all around player we saw for about one game last year, he will get minutes. If he's the 3 and D guy he has mostly been, he faces a lot of competition. Jackson, Adams, Polley and Martin all vying for minutes at the 3 spot.

Reaction Score
Wow, pleasantly surprised. His length and three-point shooting will be huge. He'll be next year's Niels Giffey!

And, wouldn't it be nice if he and the team have a senior year like Giffey...........#5.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If Tyler plays the way he did in the game before he tore his ACL he will be a main contributor. I am not sure what happened that game but he drove to the hoop,hit outside shots and REBOUNDED like a top notch player.Hopefully he gets back to that level.

I'm sure based on the past performances where he was not at all aggressive and very passive on defense, the coaching staff put a bug in his ear that others (BA, Whalley) were showing well in practice and would take minutes from him if he didn't turn it up.
He looked so different in that final game - just hope he didn't hurt himself because he was over exerting - that can happen.
The one issue I have in my mind is the mind set that athletes who have this type of injury have in recovery mode which lasts quite a while after their return to action - I have coached soccer for 30 years and the injury is prevalent in soccer, especially with females. Both sexes who have suffered this injury are especially tentative in coming back - there will be a rather long "breaking in" timeline and I don't think he will see more than 15-20 minutes for a while. He needs to maintain that last game hunger but may be timid at first. It's too bad it is his final year.
He's a good kid and I hope he has a great year

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Jackson can play the 1 through 4. The article just said so.

He can at this level. But he's our 3rd best PG. He's our 2nd or 3rd best SG. He may be our best SF. He's not our best PF, and since Hurley said he's likely an NBA PG, I don't think he wants to spend much time at PF. I think Josh, Sanogo, Whaley and Springs are all going to get minutes, and Akok when he comes back. Doesn't leave much at the 4.

Reaction Score

Yeah I don’t know what to make of that game. Guys will often have really good games here and there but that Polley looked like a player we’ve never seen before.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom