Polley and Akok injury updates | The Boneyard

Polley and Akok injury updates

Reaction Score
Hurley expects Polley to return for the start of next season and Akok to be back some time during Big East play.

David Borges on Twitter

As I said all along based on the conversation I had with an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in foot and ankles.

Reaction Score
I still think that Akok will not be ready.... He is only 1 month removed from Surgery. He is HOPING to be ready by Big East play, but until he is on the court and testing our his Achilles for the riggers of BE competition, it is still wishful thinking...

Reaction Score
Actually, you didn't
I know this isn't what Hurley meant, but don't we kick off our schedule with Big East games because of the 20 game conference schedule? Just playing devil's advocate.

Reaction Score
I know this isn't what Hurley meant, but don't we kick off our schedule with Big East games because of the 20 game conference schedule? Just playing devil's advocate.
Hurley later went on to say that Akok would be like a "mid-season transfer" so unfortunately I don't think so lol.

Reaction Score
Hurley is not planning on Akok being back next year. But we're in March, and it's 10 months from the middle of the season, and at this point you need to keep him motivated through rehab to get ready as soon as possible.

Obviously, I hope I'm wrong.

Reaction Score
Hurley later went on to say that Akok would be like a "mid-season transfer" so unfortunately I don't think so lol.
Yeah I get that he meant the end of Non conference play. Am I right about them squeezing two conference games in during the non-con part of the season or am I making that up?

Reaction Score
Yeah I get that he meant the end of Non conference play. Am I right about them squeezing two conference games in during the non-con part of the season or am I making that up?
Yeah that's what the ACC does, not sure if that's the plan for the Big East as well. UNC opened the season against Virginia, but Duke didn't start until mid December so it's a toss up

Reaction Score
I think he’ll do everything he can to come back and play even if it is as late as Feb-March. The kid was a borderline 5-star with a modern pro basketball skill set and potential. Can’t imagine he wants to stay in school for 5 years...

Reaction Score
Great news about Polley!

I'm still betting on Akok taking a medical redshirt, but hope I'm wrong!
Since the original plan for Akok was not to be a 4 year college player I think if he can come back some time next season he will. If he recovers his athleticism he'll still have another 1 or 2 full seasons to get to where he ultimately wants to go.

Reaction Score
I think he’ll do everything he can to come back and play even if it is as late as Feb-March. The kid was a borderline 5-star with a modern pro basketball skill set and potential. Can’t imagine he wants to stay in school for 5 years...
He has to get alot stronger to play in the NBA. Or really improve his shooting and handle. Missing an off season of development hurts tremendously

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He has to get alot stronger to play in the NBA. Or really improve his shooting and handle. Missing an off season of development hurts tremendously
I would expect that he's be working his upper body strength pretty hard while recovering.

FWIW, Akok's quick hops is what made so effective. I wonder whether he'll regain that completely.

Reaction Score
Yeah I agree akok wasn’t going to be around for four years anyways so I don’t really consider it like he’s losing a year next year if he comes back mid late January- honestly though just going off gut - nothing else I think he ll be back by the beginning of January

Reaction Score
Actually, you didn't

Comical.

All of this talk right now just means they are on schedule.

So Tyler had his surgery mid January. This update is just saying that he has full range of motion and out of his brace now that it’s been 2 months.

Still a long way to go in terms getting back to jogging,l hopefully by 3 months. Sprinting by 4 months. Plyometrics by 6 months. And basketball related activity by 8ish months and cleared for all contact activities without restriction by 8-9 months if all goes well.

Encouraging news.

Akok had surgery Feb 18th. So this update means his incision healed well. The repair is intact. And he’s probably close to getting out of his boot. Long way to go for him.

Reaction Score
Doubt Akok gets a redshirt if he can play in BE play. He probably only needs 1 season after this upcoming season until he leaves. Gotta win now while Bouk is still in town.

Reaction Score
Doubt Akok gets a redshirt if he can play in BE play. He probably only needs 1 season after this upcoming season until he leaves. Gotta win now while Bouk is still in town.
Redshirt is 20% of games so about 6 games. Even if he plays half the Big East conference games he's well past the threshold

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I honestly don't see Akok back at all next year.
Hopefully Polley can contribute - he needs to come back strong with a desire to mix it up - don't know if he'll be ready for that

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom