Poll - Will the talented bench force Geno to give them more PT? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Poll - Will the talented bench force Geno to give them more PT?

The talented bench will force Geno to make more substitutions than ever this year.

• True

Votes: 71 59.2%
  • False

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • No opinion, don't know

Votes: 10 8.3%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
I post things that come to mind to keep the discussion objective & lively, not only because I think it was true but also because it could continue to be true.
Let's look at some of the nitty gritty of individual player performances at various times:
1—Sometimes any player needs time. Again, UCONN is not pros.

2—Why would you think with Paige and Azzi being healthy that Nika’s turnovers wouldn’t reduce a lot? So again I’ll mention that the core players are not the enigma. The bench is.

3--- Caroline is not a pro. Neither is the bench you want to see play. But Caroline has showed she can be the #1 option over CWill, Evina, and Edwards. This is not an enigma. It’s a fact. And yet again you are pushing the enigma. None of the enigma players have shown a #1 option capability in college for a top tier team yet. So why assume it? None of them coming out had Paige?Azzi buzz.

4—Again UCONN is not a pro team. College kids for all teams do miss bunnies. Even the UCONN freshmen will.

5—In re to foul trouble even pros get into foul trouble.

6—When n you say “supposedly our core” – no that’s wrong; that IS our core. Could be more but it IS.

7- What you need to understand about the3pt shot is that you get an extra point. Extra points are more valuable than taking more shots unless you make a lot. Yet you want to assume that the bench enigma's will make a lot. However, it really is simple math. You can’t ignore math. When a player shoots 40% from 3 -- that scores 12 points. A player from 2 needs to shoot 6 for 10 from 2 to get the same 12 points. So to say 3’s are a waste is like saying math doesn’t count because you say so. But math does count. In this case you still get the same 12 points.

8—I sometimes have to remind posters, usually the ones in love with rebounding, that the object of the game is to score more points. Not get more rebounds. With you I’d like to remind you is that the object of the game is to score more points not miss less shots. If you make more 3’s – even though you miss more you can still win. It’s about math and object of the game.

9--- You’re right if starters aren’t playing well it could mean that. It could also mean that the team needs to keep sticking with what they’ve done all year. For example, I wonder how bad Azzi was getting crucified during the Iowa game early? The moronic thing Geno would have done was to pull her instead of having her learn to work her way out of it. Which she did in amazing fashion. That's why super players come to a school like UCONN. The super palers come because they know they are good and they know they are going to learn and play a lot.

10—There doesn’t need to be an effective sub 1-for-1 for everyone (history has shown you can have a core 7/8 player rotation.). That is a made-up myth without any substance other than someone’s personal preference. It’s not bound in any fact. It’s just made up.

11—I like to think in reality that the bottom of the bench players are there for a reason. And to sub in them and take out your super players for example is a guaranteed failure. Outside the box thinking can be disastrous.

12—In regards to Paige we have to remember that UCONN is not a 1-player team. Other player’s make Paige better too. Paige getting open for 3’s at 46.4% is much better than any of the young freshman will do from 2 if they take enough shots.

13—Suppose Paige is having a bad day. Then wouldn’t it stand to reason that Azzi would have needed more time while Paige is in? Suppose Paige and Azzi are struggling. Then wouldn’t it stand to reason Edwards needs more time while Paige and Azzi are in? These are your best players. Sitting your potential A/a’s on the bench in tight games is about as backwards-thinking as one can get if that is their thought process.

Part of the success of the team will be Paige and Azzi and others hitting 3’s so the lane will be open for inside shots and/or drives and/or passes toward the basket. And defenses won't be able to key as much on her becuase Azzi is there etc.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awy
Top Bottom