Poll - Will offense or defense be more important in 2023? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Poll - Will offense or defense be more important in 2023?

Which will be more important in 2023, offense or defense?

• Offense

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • Defense

Votes: 54 45.4%
  • Both are equally important

Votes: 37 31.1%
  • Not sure/ I don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
I’d say that specific parts of offense and defense will be the most important. Specifically, consistent perimeter shooting will be key and UConn has struggled with that over the past couple of seasons—outside of Paige and Azzi, who still both have their off days, which means others need to be reliable perimeter threats. I imagine Caroline’s health played a part in her shooting percentages, so hopefully that fixes itself as she gets healthy. Nika being more reliable from 3 and having Ice and/or Aaliyah be able to step out and hit a decent percentage will help UConn.

As for defense, defensive rebounding will be key. UConn’s defense was pretty good last season all things considered, but even great defense won’t be all that effective if they’re giving up offensive rebounds. Other title contenders are good at getting offensive rebounds (e.g., South Carolina and LSU), so keeping them off the glass after a good defensive possession will be key. Preventing the other team from scoring and securing the rebound also limits the ability of opposing teams to set up full court presses. Playing solid defense overall can lead to fast break opportunities and easier scoring opportunities in general.
I love your post. Generally, I go with "Balance" that's what wins but the OP spoke of" most important," and this year I feel it's like a fluke year. IMO this UCONN team if healthy - if healthy - can be the greatest offensive show wcbb has ever seen. So, it’s a matter of perspective. The night or nights they don't shoot well, - what issue is most to blame? The other team's Defense, or UCONN' Offense? I don't think that there is a team in the league that UCONN should feel that they will struggle to score against to such a degree that it must be a grind type game. So, - it's all about UCONN's Offense.

The pros imo with UCONN's Offense are many. The bottom line is that UCONN just isn't going to rely on outside scoring. Think of this - UCONN's 4th (or 5th if some think Aubrey is better) best 1/2/3 position player is Nika Muhl. This is the same 4th year player that this past season broke Sue Bird's assist record. The passing on this team is potentially unprecedented. As a result, UCONN's Offense is so much more that perimeter shooting. It's not like the opposing team's defensive strategy after halftime will be to sag in the paint because Paige and Azzi are off. (and as we expect Caroline to improve and actually Nika's 3's weren't that bad at all.) So, the lane should always be open enough. So not only will the shooting need to be off. But the passing needs to be awful too. That's a lot of things to basically collapse.

With all this said, going into this season UCONN already has a very, very good projected Defense. There should be no reason why it won't be very, very good. So, imo the question isn’; t the Defense. but how prolific the Offense could be. Though it is possible to a lesser probability that the Defense overall could be "prolifically great."

sun

Reaction Score
Last year UConn was ranked 27th in scoring offense by scoring 75.9 points per game.
UConn was ranked 47th in scoring defense with opponents scoring 58.8 points per game.

UConn ranked 7th in scoring margin with an average margin of 17.1 points per game.
UConn was not ranked in the top 50 in steals per game.
UConn was not ranked in the top 50 in blocks per game.

UConn was ranked 3rd in FG% with 49.4%.
UConn was not ranked in the top 50 in free throw %.
UConn was ranked 26th in 3 point % by making 35.7%.
UConn was ranked 5th in Assists Per Game with 18.8.
UConn was not ranked in the top 50 in free throw attempts per game.
UConn was not ranked in the top 50 in 3 point attempts per game.
UConn was ranked 7th in Field Goal Percentage Defense with opponents making 34.8%.
UConn was not ranked in the top 50 in Turnover Margin.
UConn was ranked 50th (Tie) in 3 Point Percentage Defense with opponents scoring 28.3%.
UConn was ranked 5th in Rebound Margin with 10.5 more rebounds per game than opponents.
UConn was not ranked in the top 50 in offensive rebounds per game.
UConn was ranked 9th in Defensive Rebounds Per Game with 30.2.
UConn was ranked 31st in Rebounds Per Game with 41.11.
UConn was ranked 31st (Tie) in Assist Turnover Ratio with 1.14.
UConn was not ranked in the top 50 in Turnovers Forced Per Game.

Reaction Score
Last year UConn was ranked 27th in scoring offense by scoring 75.9 points per game.
UConn was ranked 47th in scoring defense with opponents scoring 58.8 points per game.

UConn ranked 7th in scoring margin with an average margin of 17.1 points per game.
UConn was not ranked in the top 50 in steals per game.
UConn was not ranked in the top 50 in blocks per game.

UConn was ranked 3rd in FG% with 49.4%.
UConn was not ranked in the top 50 in free throw %.
UConn was ranked 26th in 3 point % by making 35.7%.
UConn was ranked 5th in Assists Per Game with 18.8.
UConn was not ranked in the top 50 in free throw attempts per game.
UConn was not ranked in the top 50 in 3 point attempts per game.
UConn was ranked 7th in Field Goal Percentage Defense with opponents making 34.8%.
UConn was not ranked in the top 50 in Turnover Margin.
UConn was ranked 50th (Tie) in 3 Point Percentage Defense with opponents scoring 28.3%.
UConn was ranked 5th in Rebound Margin with 10.5 more rebounds per game than opponents.
UConn was not ranked in the top 50 in offensive rebounds per game.
UConn was ranked 9th in Defensive Rebounds Per Game with 30.2.
UConn was ranked 31st in Rebounds Per Game with 41.11.
UConn was ranked 31st (Tie) in Assist Turnover Ratio with 1.14.
UConn was not ranked in the top 50 in Turnovers Forced Per Game.

Stats from the entirety of D1 are not all that helpful without factoring in SoS.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
As compared to last year where we at times struggled to score, I think it is offense.
During a TV broadcast this past season, the camera panned over to the UConn bench. On the bench were Paige, Azzi, Ice, and Caroline. The commentator remarked....."there's at least 50-60 points sitting on the UConn bench." That's why at times, we had trouble scoring.
The envelopes say UConn IS NOT going to have any trouble scoring this coming year.

UConn has 4 players (Paige, Azzi, Caroline, and Ashlynn Shade) that can hit "consistently" from beyond the arc. Whether they win or not and by how much, will depend on their ability to make stops, and keep their turnovers in single digits. :cool: As we all know, turnovers help to keep the other team in the game. :confused:

sun

Reaction Score
If we look back at the NC game, the importance of offense becomes more apparent.
LSU was able to make the big buckets when it counted & Iowa couldn't.
LSU set an offensive record for NC points scored by winning 102 - 85.
UConn beat Iowa 86 - 79 in Nov. with a healthy team & at a neutral court.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I love your post. Generally, I go with "Balance" that's what wins but the OP spoke of" most important," and this year I feel it's like a fluke year. IMO this UCONN team if healthy - if healthy - can be the greatest offensive show wcbb has ever seen. So, it’s a matter of perspective. The night or nights they don't shoot well, - what issue is most to blame? The other team's Defense, or UCONN' Offense? I don't think that there is a team in the league that UCONN should feel that they will struggle to score against to such a degree that it must be a grind type game. So, - it's all about UCONN's Offense.

The pros imo with UCONN's Offense are many. The bottom line is that UCONN just isn't going to rely on outside scoring. Think of this - UCONN's 4th (or 5th if some think Aubrey is better) best 1/2/3 position player is Nika Muhl. This is the same 4th year player that this past season broke Sue Bird's assist record. The passing on this team is potentially unprecedented. As a result, UCONN's Offense is so much more that perimeter shooting. It's not like the opposing team's defensive strategy after halftime will be to sag in the paint because Paige and Azzi are off. (and as we expect Caroline to improve and actually Nika's 3's weren't that bad at all.) So, the lane should always be open enough. So not only will the shooting need to be off. But the passing needs to be awful too. That's a lot of things to basically collapse.

With all this said, going into this season UCONN already has a very, very good projected Defense. There should be no reason why it won't be very, very good. So, imo the question isn’; t the Defense. but how prolific the Offense could be. Though it is possible to a lesser probability that the Defense overall could be "prolifically great."
If healthy..the greatest offensive show WCBB will see this year. Three players can carry a team. This year's UConn team has 4.
All of them ARE NOT going to be off (out of sync) at the same time. ;) Three of the four should be "ON" for every game.

Reaction Score
If we look back at the NC game, the importance of offense becomes more apparent.
LSU was able to make the big buckets when it counted & Iowa couldn't.
LSU set an offensive record for NC points scored by winning 102 - 85.
UConn beat Iowa 86 - 79 in Nov. with a healthy team & at a neutral court.

I'd disagree on both counts.

1. In the NC game, LSU bench players who'd averaged 33% from 3 (career) shot 9/10 from 3 and helped build that 15 pt halftime lead. Fluke results like this don't form a reasonable basis for any conclusions. If Iowa hadn't been down 15 at the half and thus been forced into a desperation style of play, I think it would have been a toss up at the end. But all this result tells us is better D and Iowa could have won the NC. Similarly, if LSU had played better D, Caitlin couldn't have kept it as close as it was at the end of the 3rd quarter.

2. UConn beat Iowa 86-79 because we played better D -- and we weren't healthy. Dorka was out and we effectively played 6 (plus Ayanna for 7 mins). Kate Martin shot well above her average from 3 (6-6) but Nika corralled Caitlin who ended up 9-24 and Aaliyah shut down Czinano (3-7) while scoring 20 on 10-16 shooting. Take away 3 of Martin's 3s and the true dimensions of their defeat are more apparent. The game only looked close, but the 2nd half belonged to the Huskies and Caroline and Azzi effectively shut the door. Defense won that game, even though we also played better offense by every measure. In the second half, we held them to 12-35 shooting while we shot 21-31.

Last edited:

sun

Reaction Score
I'd disagree on both counts.

1. In the NC game, LSU bench players who'd averaged 33% from 3 (career) shot 9/10 from 3 and helped build that 15 pt halftime lead. Fluke results like this don't form a reasonable basis for any conclusions. If Iowa hadn't been down 15 at the half and thus been forced into a desperation style of play, I think it would have been a toss up at the end. But all this result tells us is better D and Iowa could have won the NC. Similarly, if LSU had played better D, Caitlin couldn't have kept it as close as it was at the end of the 3rd quarter.

2. UConn beat Iowa 86-79 because we played better D -- and we weren't healthy. Dorka was out and we effectively played 6 (plus Ayanna for 7 mins). Kate Martin shot well above her average from 3 (6-6) but Nika corralled Caitlin who ended up 9-24 and Aaliyah shut down Czinano (3-7) while scoring 20 on 10-16 shooting. Take away 3 of Martin's 3s and the true dimensions of their defeat are more apparent. The game only looked close, but the 2nd half belonged to the Huskies and Caroline and Azzi effectively shut the door. Defense won that game, even though we also played better offense by every measure. In the second half, we held them to 12-35 shooting while we shot 21-31.
The final Coaches Poll which came out after the NC game ranked UConn at #9 and Ohio State at #6.
UConn had its best defenders playing when it lost to Ohio State 73-61 and its offense still wasn't good enough.
And when Ohio State went on to lose to VT 84-74, it showed that defense has its limitations to beat elite teams.
UConn's offense was not only too weak to beat Ohio State, but as good as Ohio State's defense was, it still wasn't good enough to slow down VT.
The stronger defensive teams like UConn & Ohio State simply didn't have enough firepower to make it to the FF.
That's just my perspective on why offense will become more important than defense next year.
I'm not saying that defense should be non-existent, only that defense is slightly less important than scoring points.
I don't think that LSU will be a worse team than they were, and may actually be a stronger all around team than last year.
And maybe Scar will prove to be a stronger & more balanced team too.
All the more reason for UConn to focus on improving its offense & point production next year.
If one of UConn's stars goes down at an inopportune time, UConn needs to have players prepared to pick up their slack in point production.
That's what UConn's depth should be used for & mostly about, teaching them how to score.
For example Amari & Patterson already know how to block shots., now they they need to learn how to score points.
Even at the beginning of last season Geno said that he didn't work on teaching any defense yet, but that he was focusing on teaching them offense first.
Defense is mostly reactionary whereas offense requires more initiative.
Not too many players can play shutdown defense like Ricky Moore, if any,

Last edited:
Reaction Score

We lose Dorka and replace her with unproven entities in the paint. Not sure how that projects UConn to have a “very , very good projected defense”? I see a big question marks. Do they have the potential to be good, sure! But they will have to prove it, especially against elite teams with strong inside games.

Reaction Score
The final Coaches Poll which came out after the NC game ranked UConn at #9 and Ohio State at #6.
UConn had its best defenders playing when it lost to Ohio State 73-61 and its offense still wasn't good enough.
And when Ohio State went on to lose to VT 84-74, it showed that defense has its limitations to beat elite teams.
UConn's offense was not only too weak to beat Ohio State, but as good as Ohio State's defense was, it still wasn't good enough to slow down VT.
The stronger defensive teams like UConn & Ohio State simply didn't have enough firepower to make it to the FF.
That's just my perspective on why offense will become more important than defense next year.
I'm not saying that defense should be non-existent, only that defense is slightly less important than scoring points.
I don't think that LSU will be a worse team than they were, and may actually be a stronger all around team than last year.
And maybe Scar will prove to be a stronger & more balanced team too.
All the more reason for UConn to focus on improving its offense & point production next year.
If one of UConn's stars goes down at an inopportune time, UConn needs to have players prepared to pick up their slack in point production.
That's what UConn's depth should be used for & mostly about, teaching them how to score.
For example Amari & Patterson already know how to block shots., now they they need to learn how to score points.
Even at the beginning of last season Geno said that he didn't work on teaching any defense yet, but that he was focusing on teaching them offense first.
Defense is mostly reactionary whereas offense requires more initiative.
Not too many players can play shutdown defense like Ricky Moore, if any,
I think you make some god points here -- though I don't share your reading of last season, and mainly for situational reasons.

First of all, tOSU is not simply a strong defensive team. They were a very particular type of defensive team, one that can surprise stronger opponents (as in our case) but which can also seem out of balance against teams that manage to break the press. But I agree that their offense wasn't really good enough to go much farther than they did.

Second, UConn didn't fall short because it lacked offensive firepower. I think the girls were just emotionally spent at that point. They'd endured so much all season long and this finally caught up with them. Had they played tOSU a month earlier, they'd have rolled over them like a Ferrari over a pebble in the highway. As it was, however, they looked like deer caught in the headlights for much of that game.

Finally, defense and offense aren't just two separate halves of a team. They are intimately connected. When Geno says -- as he so often has -- that the offense grows out of the defense, he doesn't just mean that it generates transition opportunities, though it does this too. Most importantly, defense, and practicing defensive cohesion, builds team culture. The defensive mindset, the reliance on teammates is where the signature offensive mindset that looks for the extra pass comes from.

Reaction Score
We lose Dorka and replace her with unproven entities in the paint. Not sure how that projects UConn to have a “very , very good projected defense”? I see a big question marks. Do they have the potential to be good, sure! But they will have to prove it, especially against elite teams with strong inside games.
The opposing teams aren't pro teams. They are also flawed. As for UCONN, Griffin was the backup PF for a Final Four team as a sophomore. And she filled in fine when Dorka was out this past year. Now, she is a 5th year senior.

And we hear all the time how great players make other players better all the time. SO UCONN potentially has two superstars in Paige and Azzi - yet they are going to be unable to make any other tall player UCONN has not including Edwards as "serviceable?" UCONN’s recruiting has been that pathetic?

In addition, the versatility of UCONN is also off-the-charts. For example, Caroline Ducharme if healthy if healthy can play PF. She has played it -- and very effectively. The big teams have to guard her on the outside too. Good luck to them - if if if she is healthy.

Elite teams with strong inside games are then not perfect on the outside which UCONN would then be far superior. I'll take the superstars on the perimeter of Paige and Fudd vs any team you want to cite.

IMO "better basketball players" usually win regardless of something like size as long as you aren’t overwhelmed by it. To be overwhelmed, which team's are so impossible to guard inside that can also affect big time an elite Bueckers and Fudd run offense at the other end? Because some teams don’t have the shooters and you can pack a zone. etc. Or if they have the shooters their perimter defense is probably suspect if they also have a super power inside game. Unless UCONN is playing a pro team without any flaws?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

In regard to Defense- Pressing for 1.-- Aand one player in which quite a few were h/s aa's or top tier recruits - they can't find 1 in 4 or 5 to be decent while UCONN has tremendous D with Nika, Griffin and Edwards for halcourt?

Was Patterson's defense that awful last year as a frosh as an example?

The poitn above is that UCONN's offense can dictate tempo which then will affect how a team can attack UCONN.

Last edited:

sun

Reaction Score
Playing tenacious defense can sometimes hurt a team.
The players can accumulate too many quick fouls and even injuries as a result.
I can recall how willing that Paige was on more than occasion to take a hard charge in the paint, where she ended up slamming her head into the hardwood as she fell backward.
Is it advisable for a star player like Paige to risk being out for 10 days due to potential concussion just to make a single defensive stop?
We all appreciate good defense but a lot of energy can get expended in the process.
If UConn focuses on making a great defensive efforts then they may need to use more of its bench to help keep players fresh which hopefully won't cause the offense to lose too much of its scoring efficiency.
Either way there could be a lot of substituting going on this year to determine which of the newer players can be stronger 2 way players on both offense & defense.
Or sub in some for more offense and others for more defense.

Reaction Score
Playing tenacious defense can sometimes hurt a team.
The players can accumulate too many quick fouls and even injuries as a result.
I can recall how willing that Paige was on more than occasion to take a hard charge in the paint, where she ended up slamming her head into the hardwood as she fell backward.
Is it advisable for a star player like Paige to risk being out for 10 days due to potential concussion just to make a single defensive stop?
We all appreciate good defense but a lot of energy can get expended in the process.
If UConn focuses on making a great defensive efforts then they may need to use more of its bench to help keep players fresh which hopefully won't cause the offense to lose too much of its scoring efficiency.
Either way there could be a lot of substituting going on this year to determine which of the newer players can be stronger 2 way players on both offense & defense.
Or sub in some for more offense and others for more defense.
Bit of a stretch to say tenacious defense leads to more fouls and injuries. A poor defender is much more likely to commit a foul than a strong defender, as they grab etc to make up for lack of defensive movement. Taking a charge is not really something that I would consider a characteristic of a strong defender. I'd guess that more of the serious injuries occur at the offensive end, with players leaving the floor, or when they land. UConn's championship teams were usually shut down defensive teams. Expended energy never seemed to be a problem.. Last season's team was not anywhere near a strong defensive team. UConn won't win another championship until their defense improves. If a team is strong defensively they will be effective every night. Not so on the offensive side.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Kinda silly question for a UConn fan. Geno has said a thousand times in one form or another, 'Our offense is predicated by our defense.' Defense is always the focus.
Again…..UConn will not have a problem scoring this coming year. They have more than enough players that can put the ball in the basket. So that means they focus on their defense. Making stops and pushing the ball up the court, feeding whoever has the hot hand, and putting/keeping the opposing team on its heels.

If UConn can do that along with keeping the turnovers to a minimum, the Huskies will be hard to beat. Anybody can win a game when the opponent keeps giving them the ball.

Reaction Score
Kinda silly question for a UConn fan. Geno has said a thousand times in one form or another, 'Our offense is predicated by our defense.' Defense is always the focus.
That's a general broad statemnt he makes. But was his Ofnese predicated on his defnese vs NC State? It was essentiallty predicated on Page being heroic. wasn't it?

The more effective his defense is, the more he can get out on fatsbreaks- which is great. But there is an assumption that you can run fastbreaks efficiently. That's Ofense too.

And I beleive he has also said the more effective his offense is, then his defense can be better too, hasnt he? If you score, you can set up your defense better at the other end.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Again…..UConn will not have a problem scoring this coming year. They have more than enough players that can put the ball in the basket. So that means they focus on their defense. Making stops and pushing the ball up the court, feeding whoever has the hot hand, and putting/keeping the opposing team on its heels.

If UConn can do that along with keeping the turnovers to a minimum, the Huskies will be hard to beat. Anybody can win a game when the opponent keeps giving them the ball.
And yet Imo UCONN will not have much of a probelm with their D. Nika, Griffin, Edwards are tremendous. If healthy Paige, Azzi and Caroline are fine. And then we have former H/s a/a's and top recruts to fill 1 spot in which Patterson looked fine last year on D and should be a year better. It was her Offense (not her D) that was bad. And I beleive there was a lot of talk that Brady was doing very well beforeher injuries.

The player at the 4/5 beside Edwards doesn't need to be "Bill Russell" in order for UCONN to have a fine defense. The other teams are college teams too and not super pros at every spot. You can play zone or even sag if need be and doing that you still have a very fine defense. Adn as your lead goes up - it's harder for teams to comnintue to go inside.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
That's a general broad statemnt he makes. But was his Ofnese predicated on his defnese vs NC State? It was essentiallty predicated on Page being heroic. wasn't it?

The more effective his defense is, the more he can get out on fatsbreaks- which is great. But there is an assumption that you can run fastbreaks efficiently. That's Ofense too.

And I beleive he has also said the more effective his offense is, then his defense can be better too, hasnt he? If you score, you can set up your defense better at the other end.
Agreed but still a silly question. One game does not create a focus or a pattern. Offense is more skill related while defense is work related. Returning you have the season record holder for assists, 2 wings capable of shooting 40/50/90, an uber-athletic swiss army knife and a potential all american. The offensive skill level is one of the best in years. Scoring will not be a problem. The focus must be on getting the players to function as a defensive unit.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The opposing teams aren't pro teams. They are also flawed. As for UCONN, Griffin was the backup PF for a Final Four team as a sophomore. And she filled in fine when Dorka was out this past year. Now, she is a 5th year senior.

And we hear all the time how great players make other players better all the time. SO UCONN potentially has two superstars in Paige and Azzi - yet they are going to be unable to make any other tall player UCONN has not including Edwards as "serviceable?" UCONN’s recruiting has been that pathetic?

In addition, the versatility of UCONN is also off-the-charts. For example, Caroline Ducharme if healthy if healthy can play PF. She has played it -- and very effectively. The big teams have to guard her on the outside too. Good luck to them - if if if she is healthy.

Elite teams with strong inside games are then not perfect on the outside which UCONN would then be far superior. I'll take the superstars on the perimeter of Paige and Fudd vs any team you want to cite.

IMO "better basketball players" usually win regardless of something like size as long as you aren’t overwhelmed by it. To be overwhelmed, which team's are so impossible to guard inside that can also affect big time an elite Bueckers and Fudd run offense at the other end? Because some teams don’t have the shooters and you can pack a zone. etc. Or if they have the shooters their perimter defense is probably suspect if they also have a super power inside game. Unless UCONN is playing a pro team without any flaws?
I have a hard time following your logic chain, but certainly respect your right to share it. Your final sentence actually supports my point. Every team, including pros and including UConn, has flaws. My observation is that some Uconn fans have a hard time excepting that Uconn has flaws and prefer to claim that UConn has an unstoppable offense and elite defense. While I would agree that they have the potential to be very strong offensively, there are certainly reasons to temper that enthusiasm. 3 point shooting is an example. Azzi and Caroline are both 34% career 3 point shooters , yet some posters like to claim that between Paige, Azzi , Caroline and some freshmen that UConn will be a 3 point juggernaut! Maybe, but I am just saying that I prefer to see it before I buy it. Same is true with defense. Anyway, it all keeps the off-season interesting. We will have our answer later this year!

Reaction Score
Agreed but still a silly question. One game does not create a focus or a pattern. Offense is more skill related while defense is work related. Returning you have the season record holder for assists, 2 wings capable of shooting 40/50/90, an uber-athletic swiss army knife and a potential all american. The offensive skill level is one of the best in years. Scoring will not be a problem. The focus must be on getting the players to function as a defensive unit.
It's an unimportant question and we're all bored until the season starts. But for fun-speak I agree "offense is more skilled" -- but for great offensive players they need a certain level of athleticism on the perimeter. IMO for Azzi and Paige in order to be great and have super stats they need to be healthy enough to be as athletic as they were. And if they do - if that offense from those two along with if Caroline if healthy along with Edwards - their defense doesn't need to be great.

So imo the main question is if Paige, Azzi, Caroline (and Ice to a degree) can play to near to their past high levels for them- the Offense will be too much for everyone. OFC an off-game is possible on any given day but as you say – 1 game doesn’t make a pattern.

Think of it this way though - UCONN would have two Caitlyn Clark's, plus much better offensive players than Caitlyn played with; - one Caitlyn took down South Carolina. With the 3 that are coming back Paige/Azzi/Caroline imo their ceiling as players is much more important if they hit their near-top level as scorers on offense vs their near top-level if they get to on defense.

Reaction Score
I have a hard time following your logic chain, but certainly respect your right to share it. Your final sentence actually supports my point. Every team, including pros and including UConn, has flaws. My observation is that some Uconn fans have a hard time excepting that Uconn has flaws and prefer to claim that UConn has an unstoppable offense and elite defense. While I would agree that they have the potential to be very strong offensively, there are certainly reasons to temper that enthusiasm. 3 point shooting is an example. Azzi and Caroline are both 34% career 3 point shooters , yet some posters like to claim that between Paige, Azzi , Caroline and some freshmen that UConn will be a 3 point juggernaut! Maybe, but I am just saying that I prefer to see it before I buy it. Same is true with defense. Anyway, it all keeps the off-season interesting. We will have our answer later this year!
I believe I followed your chain but I believe your points are wrong but respect it. My last point squashed your point about a 2nd big player. When you are looking to pound teams inside - it's not just one pass and all of sudden you get an easy inside shot. vs other top teams And as you pointed out that the 2nd player is more inside oriented too-- well then it would most likely mean that the big team isn't as fast break proficient if they are that big to pound UCONN inside. As we both agree teams have flaws. Even the big teams that feature inside play. So, the big inside team has to have a flaw or 2 on the perimeter, right? So, when the big team falls behind, they are in huge trouble as game goes on, because they are eating up the clock to get 2 point shots, right?

However what is evident obviously and I say this with respect that as a non-UCONN fan that you are- it's very evident not only about your comments of UCONN fans but how you're so willing to cite Fudd and 34%. Because you aren't a UCONN fan there is no way you are going to give someone like Fudd an inch because you just don't want to. I mean everyone makes some type of predictions. But a non-UCONN fan such as yourself won't look at anything but stats, and the heck with anything else because it's UCONN, right?

I say this because as a non-UCONN fan you are going to hold onto 34% and don't care one bit about the accumulation of information that 1.) she was regarded as a supreme superstar (especially as a shooter) in h/s in which she was poy as a soph before her injury over Paige and Jones. 2.) Geno usually critical of young players said right from start he wants Azzi to shoot and surprised when she misses. 3.) Chris D usually critical of young players said right from start she wants Azzi to shoot and surprised when she misses. 4.) UCONN played 4 games vs good teams early- one was Iowa -- and Fudd averaged 8-9 3's and shot near 50% from three vs those 4 teams. 5.) At the start of the year, UConn/Geno Auriemma featured Azzi Fudd and her 34% 3pt shooting in which she averaged 8.5 three's per game over Edwards, Dorka, and Lou. 6.) By citing 34% as you have, you aren’t going to look one inch beyond your toes that injuries may have affected her, right? I mean it's okay - you are a respectful poster but you just don't want to look outside the box with Azzi, right?

So, as a non-0UCONN fan you will highlight 34% but you don't care about injuries or what the UCONN coaches say or especially what they show they will do. Yet to me and many other UConn fans the 6 points (and I'm sure others have others) above highlight why Geno scoffs at the stats some of you non-UCONN fans might cite. Otherwise, please explain why with a tough schedule playing Texas, Nc State, Duke, and Iowa along with the talent UCONN had with Edwards, Lou and Dorka, why would Geno and staff feature/encourage a 34% 3pt shooter to take between 8 to 9 three's per game vs good teams to an elite team like Iowa if that stat had an iota of relevance? Yet you as the non-UCONN fan want to hold onto it without looking an inch beyond your toes.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom