Poll Who's in your Starting Lineup. Dorka or Aubrey | The Boneyard

Poll Who's in your Starting Lineup. Dorka or Aubrey

Who's your Starter Dorka or Aubrey

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I don't think Geno makes a change to the starting lineup once Dorka is fully healthy. However, who would be starting if you were coachingthe team? Dorka or Aubrey.

IMO I think with Aubrey starting the team is quicker, has better flow in transition offense and Aubrey has the ability to drive into the post to get points on her own. Aubrey is better able to guard smaller quicker players. Dorka gives the team more size, better passer out of the low post and can bang with opponents bigger post players. Dorka has the ability to launch shots outside the 3 point line.

Reaction Score
Dorka. No question. Caroline will start over Aubrey very soon if Dorka isn't back. After that I expect her to start over Lou. After the first few weeks of the season we will, God willing, have a relative embarassment of talent on the bench who will each play significant minutes. Ayanna is coming on strong also.

Reaction Score
Dorka has got to get back in game shape so predict for the first few games back she will be first off the bench. As I've said before, it doesn't matter who starts now, its the playoff minutes that count the most. The teams Huskies are likely to have to overcome have lots of talented height - look for Geno to make sure Dorka is good for the end of the year.

Reaction Score
I really don't think this is a difficult decision. Dorka may not start in her first game or two back, but should soon thereafter. Regardless of the "who is the better player overall" argument, in the most important games of our season, we will need size and a true C. Developing chemistry with Dorka at C before the tournament is another reason.

As for Aubrey, look at how valuable she has been, and can be at multiple positions. When a guard misses time, Aubrey is the answer, and when a big is out like Dorka, Aubrey is also the answer at PF with Aaliyah moving to C for part of the game. Now with Caroline returning to form, when Dorka is back we will have two very good, and very versatile weapons off the bench, with completely different skillsets.

The Iowa game was exhibit A for how valuable those options are. Early in the game Iowa played man to man and Aubrey (as a 4) with way more quickness than their bigs thrived. Then they went zone, our offense broke down somewhat, and Geno was able to insert Caroline as a counter with her perimeter skills and we turned it around.

Having two extremely good bench players is a major plus. Having both of them versatile enough to play 2-4, and to even substitute for Dorka (Aaliyah moves to C) or Nika (Azzi moves to the point) makes them even more valuable and allows them to get plenty of minutes. Then having those two players with totally different skillsets enabling Geno to strategically insert what is needed most for a given game situation is like a cherry on top.

Reaction Score
Dorka, When Uconn faces bigs , Aubrey when Uconn needs quickness. The next 5 games will cement Uconn's starting five. GO ALL PLAYERS!!! GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
Griffin ,bring Dorka off the bench untill she can show shes healthy and can handle the basketball without any problems.She will still be wrapped.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
There is a general principle, too often ignored or not understood, that applies to Auriemma coached teams. In regards to relative strengths and weaknesses, a player whose strength is to make the team as a whole function more efficiently will start over a player for whom that is a relative weakness. There may be times when particular individual strengths might be needed, including possibly the end of some games, but Auriemma starts games with players like Doty, et al, to start the team out on an efficient, stable footing.

On edit: On a somewhat related note. I was surprised at how well Iowa played against us. I chalk it up to the chemistry and efficiency of a team that has played together for awhile. Still, I do not think they will prove at the end of the year to be better than NC State, and may not even be better than Texas. In other words, we had better games against potentially better teams than Iowa, but I guess we’ll see.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I guess it’s just me, but I’m of the opinion that who finishes is more important than who starts. We’ve seen a starter pulled after 5-6 minutes of ineffectiveness and subbed for another player who in some cases is more effective in THAT game.

Aubrey is going to get her minutes whether she starts or comes off the bench. The same for Dorka. UConn is a different team when Dorka is on the floor. Geno is a master at moving chess pieces around during a game.

I’m more concerned about how Dorka and Aubrey play when they’re in the game more than whether they start or not. There will not be a consensus on this poll.

Reaction Score
I assumed the question applied to games in the near future so I want with Aubrey as Dorka will be eased into the rotation to get back into game shape.

After that Dorka starts when controlling opposing bigs is most important and Aubrey starts when parameter defense is more important.

For those games that are pretty much a sure win regardless of which one starts (or even if neither played) it will be interesting to see which way Geno goes.

Reaction Score
What a nice problem to have..........AG is such an energizer I think she's better suited coming off the bench unless the opponent has a smaller and quick starting lineup when AG might be the necessary choice..........

Reaction Score
Dorka will start, maybe not her first few games back. Wouldn’t be surprised if CD replaces Lou as a starter once fully healthy. However it seems Aubrey has been most successful at the beginning of games. She does so much. So maybe Aubrey starts.
Now a lineup I’d like to see more of is the four guards and one big. The big being AE. Although Patterson played it for a minute or two Sunday and scored. Then you have three guards who can score at all levels,Edwards who can score high or low. And a very happy Nika distributing. That four guards only works if Caroline cont. to play defense like she did sunday basically playing the 4 on defense .

Reaction Score
As a good friend of mine would say, "it depends."

If you are playing against a team that plays multiple big people together who may be considered "quickness challenged" in my opinion the nod goes to Dorka. If you are playing a quicker team that plays 4 out than I would go with Aubrey. Geno gets paid a lot of money to make these decisions so I will defer to him.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Start with the size of Dorka but give Aubrey starters minutes. What Aubrey gives up in height she makes up for in athleticism. Seeing a 6,4” kid go to the bench only to be replaced by a fast, scrappy player who jumps like she’s on a pogo stick, has to be disheartening.

It’s similar to the situation the men have with big east player of the year candidate Adama Sanogo, who is a skilled and powerful player starting only to be replaced by talented 7‘2“ phenom Donovan Clingan. By the end of the game opposing bigs are looking pretty tired.

Reaction Score
I guess it’s just me, but I’m of the opinion that who finishes is more important than who starts. We’ve seen a starter pulled after 5-6 minutes of ineffectiveness and subbed for another player who in some cases is more effective in THAT game.

Aubrey is going to get her minutes whether she starts or comes off the bench. The same for Dorka. UConn is a different team when Dorka is on the floor. Geno is a master at moving chess pieces around during a game.

I’m more concerned about how Dorka and Aubrey play when they’re in the game more than whether they start or not. There will not be a consensus on this poll.
Highlight says it all. Aubrey at Iowa, Portland, averaged a point every 2.3 minutes. Caroline and Edwards averaged a point every 1.6 minutes. Dorka's best games are against smaller teams (daaa?). For the near future the thumb is going have an impact on her shooting and probably attempted blocks.
Ayanna once she overcomes the Freshmen energy and fouling will be a big asset (she does her bit now). When that day comes, this will be a different, better, team. I'm very happy Geno is giving her game time to learn Div 1 college BB.
On that subject, I know Number 42 will not be the Post Uconn needs anytime soon. She shoots well, plays better than ok but IMO will never be the Post Uconn needs. So, let her be what she appears to be--a big forward. As you say Carnac, Geno knows best. Also, I agree, when I played, starting wasn't that important---PLAYING in the game was.

Reaction Score
What a nice problem to have..........AG is such an energizer I think she's better suited coming off the bench unless the opponent has a smaller and quick starting lineup when AG might be the necessary choice..........
Aubrey has come miles from 2 years ago. Yes, I know her physical issues. I'm thrilled for her, for me, for Uconn that she is such a FORCE

Reaction Score
Dorka is a very mobile C, as mobile in the paint as Liv ever was, though perhaps not as quick running the floor. I don’t think we lose any interesting speed with Dorka in the game, and having her there Aaliyah is freed to use more of her quickness.

I can imagine a rotation like this: Dorka and Aaliyah — with Aaliyah running high hedges and Dorka holding down the paint. And then Aubrey subs for Dorka and Aaliyah holds down the paint wile Aubrey runs the high hedges. And finally Dorka comes back in for Aaliyah etc. Slip Ayanna in for 10-15 mins as needed. You get the picture.

This gives us plenty of rest for a high energy frontcourt while maintaining our Nika Azzi Caroline Lou rotation on the perimeter. I really love the look of our team when Dorka returns

Last edited:

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Sorry, not picking sides between two Huskies. Geno has that difficult job not me. I'll root for whoever he puts on the floor, in whatever order.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
I must recuse. My affection for Aubrey, since her freshman days, makes me want her in the game. I enjoy her play, disruption of the opponent, ability to run the floor, always has head up and knows where to be. She may lack a lot of skills but she is just a joy to watch, making use of 100% of the abilities she does possess. The energy is never ending and opposing coaches surely envy not having her.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think the question is really Caroline vs. Dorka vs. Lou for 2 spots once all are fully healthy.

Will depend on team to team, but think they settle into a minute rotation like this
1. Nika - 35
2. Azzi - 38
3. CD/Lou -25
4. AE - 30
5. Dorka - 25

BE. CD/Lou - 22
BE. AG - 15
BE AP - 10

sun

Reaction Score
UConn may not need 2 bigs to start, especially against some BE teams.
I'd like to see Dorka finish better inside making baskets.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom