Poll Who Should be WNBA MVP?

Who Should be MVP of the WNBA

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Who should be the MVP for the WNBA? IMHO although Tina is having a good year, I'm not sure she deserves it with the road record the Sun have.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
my vote is for Tina - just because she's had such a terrific year and i don't think the Sun would be in the playoffs without her. of course, the same could be said about the other teams' best player. but i just think Tina has had such a terrific year and should be rewarded for setting the record for double doubles two years in a row.

there are several players who averaged more PPG (Fowles, Taurasi, and McCaughtry in particular), but Atlanta was out of the playoff picture even while Angel was playing. it wasn't until Sancho Lyttle came back that the Dream made their push and bumped Chicago out of the playoffs.

but you really can't go wrong with any of those players. and i know you can't just go by PPG, but Sue is averaging 14.8 PPG to Catch's 15.7, and Sue has way more assists as her role is larger than Tamika's (IMHO). i'd honestly put Sue ahead of Lindsay as PG's go. but i've not WATCHED enough games to say what their roles actually are irrespective of the stats...

i'll be really curious to see how the voting goes. it depends how they define MVP also.

Reaction Score
Tina should get it simply because she has had the best year.

Reaction Score
Who should be the MVP for the WNBA? IMHO although Tina is having a good year, I'm not sure she deserves it with the road record the Sun have.
LOL, of course you don't.

Who deserves it over Tina then? Statistically she's been better than anyone not named Sylvia Fowles, but the Sun are 5.5 games ahead of the Sky.

The only only players who are in the conversation are Taurasi (Phoenix is 19-13, 2nd in the West) and McCoughtry (Atlanta is 19-14, 3rd in the East), but both have things holding them back in this race (Taurasi didn't do enough outside of scoring this year, McCoughtry's shooting percentage and A/TO ratio are brutal for a wing).

This one seems pretty cut and dry to me.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Penny Taylor is as likely as Taurasi according to some.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
LOL, of course you don't.

Who deserves it over Tina then? Statistically she's been better than anyone not named Sylvia Fowles, but the Sun are 5.5 games ahead of the Sky.

The only only players who are in the conversation are Taurasi (Phoenix is 19-13, 2nd in the West) and McCoughtry (Atlanta is 19-14, 3rd in the East), but both have things holding them back in this race (Taurasi didn't do enough outside of scoring this year, McCoughtry's shooting percentage and A/TO ratio are brutal for a wing).

This one seems pretty cut and dry to me.
you might think, but there's a lot more that goes into it than just who has the most double doubles.

there are 6 players in the league who average more PPG than Tina - Taurasi, McCaughtry, Pondexter, Fowles, Langhorne, and Parker. IMHO Parker, Langhorne, and Fowles have no shot whatsoever as they led their teams to an early vacation by not making the playoffs. Then Penny Taylor and Siemone are right behind Tina.

The Dream stormed into the playoffs sprinting past Chicago. even tho they started winning consistently only when Lyttle came back, i could see them giving it to Angel. Phoneix ebbed and flowed and while Diana scored much more than Penny, i'd have to trust Cam if he says Penny should get it over DT. still, it seems if it's that close, they might split the votes that might have all gone to their teammate.

i don't get the push for Catchings. terrific player, and certainly deserving of some award, but she barely scored more PPG than Bird, and Sue does much more with the ball for her team than Catch does. i also don't get the push for Whalen over some of the others, including Siemone, but as i said above, it's more than just about scoring and i haven't seen enough games to make a truly informed decision.

Bottom line, no one scored as much AND got as many rebounds as Tina and playing on the 2nd best team in the east, with those gaudy numbers, makes my vote for her. btw if Chicago had made the playoffs i'd say Sylvia deserved it over Tina...

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
IMHO Sue Bird or Tamika Catchings are deserving of the award.

Sue for how she held the Storm together and got them into the playoffs with the injury to Lauren Jackson.

Tamika for helping the Fever with the best record in the Eastern Division. Also IMHO she might get some sentimental votes for her longevity in the league and being one of the best players in the league during her career.

Tina has had a good year, but there were other players in the league that contributes as much as she does.

quote="UConn990411, post: 12335"]LOL, of course you dont.

This one seems pretty cut and dry to me.[/quote]

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
MVP is an individual award. The Sun's road record is irrelevant. Tina (Geno) has made herself into the best center in the World and her team is heading to the WNBA playoffs riding her broad shoulders. I'm still in awe of how incredibly good she has become. A certain guy took a fair amount of heat for pushing her so damn hard. But that guy knew what only a genius could...just how special she could be.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
MVP is an individual award. The Sun's road record is irrelevant. Tina (Geno) has made herself into the best center in the World and her team is heading to the WNBA playoffs riding her broad shoulders. I'm still in awe of how incredibly good she has become. A certain guy took a fair amount of heat for pushing her so damn hard. But that guy knew what only a genius could...just how special she could be.
that is very true. and special she is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom