POLL: which was UConn's best season? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

POLL: which was UConn's best season?

Which UConn season would be considered its greatest/best?

Votes: 12 14.0%

Votes: 33 38.4%

Votes: 2 2.3%

Votes: 5 5.8%

Votes: 34 39.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
People keep talking about who was on the team, and who could handle who(m). That's not the OP's question, which SEASON, (not team i.e. who's gonna guard whom) is the best. Not how the teams would do against each other, but how each team did against their competition their year.

I agree with Suebird10fan, the stat I'd like to see is MoV vs. top 10 teams. That I think would be most telling.

Absolutely correct Meyers, I got distracted by the A vs. B posts.

It's still '02 on the season question, tho'. They just made it look easy 97% of the time. And they were the team that forced Geno to say they played a perfect 20 minutes of basketball.

Reaction Score
I greatly admire R.L.,N.S.,S.B.,S.R.,S.A.,S.B.,M.M.,T.C. and now B.S. but nobody can compare to D.T..

Reaction Score
I greatly admire R.L.,N.S.,S.B.,S.R.,S.A.,S.B.,M.M.,T.C. and now B.S. but nobody can compare to D.T..
Yub! The only player that Geno can say "we have Diana and you don't". He he..

Reaction Score
The 2014 is a very special team. They were going into the season with a short bench to begin with. Then in the second game they lose KML and Tuck to injury. Both are out the next 8 games. KML comes back but her injury lingers and affects her shooting pretty much the entire season. Tuck plays a couple of games but is again dealing with injury. Banks is up and down after coming back from an amazing sophomore season where she ended up tearing her ACL. As a result this year she was trying to get her way back into game shape. She was doing fairly well, I thought, until the NCAA tournament where Geno barely played her. Chong hit the freshman wall, and again I was shocked Geno did not play her in the NCAA's.

Bria, Stef, and Stewie were the best players in their positions this year. One could make an argument that Jefferson's improvements this season were the most impressive and she is a key component to this years win. KML had she remained healthy all season would have made some big history this year. So in a season where she was out for 12 games due to an elbow injury and Mono, she had what was for her a sub-par season, which many players across the nation would have killed for as their total season stats. There are some players who cannot score 374 points in three seasons let alone 2/3rds of a season.

This team had a lot going for it... but the fact they were able to win with all the adversity. Losing players, injuries, illnesses, short benches, not getting into foul trouble, etc... it was very impressive.

However I am still very much partial to the 2000 team. Something about seeing BamBam going out a Champ! ;)

Reaction Score
I feel this years team took less of a hit to graduation Buck (limited minutes), Doty (limited minutes knee) and Faris unlike 2002 with class of Kelly S, Svet, Shea, Rigby and Marci graduating in 01 and Johnson leaving to play for Purdue. JMO

Reaction Score
2003. They continued the streak, only lost one game, and won a championship that I would never have predicted.

BTW: The 2002 team should not even be in this discussion. As good as they were, their schedule that year was very, very weak. At the end of the season there were no other Big East teams in the Top 25.

Reaction Score
SportsPageMike- - -I agree, I voted 1995 for being the 1st and opening the eyes of the country to the coaching staff/players and got really good players thinking of UCONN as an option to established programs TN, GA, LA Tech, VA, Stanford, etc.
My 2nd choice would be the 2002 team as they made it seem so easy vs any oppt.
I have a special place in my heart though for the 2000-2001 that lost both Svet & Shea to injuries and lost to TN during the season but if they stayed healthy they would have dominated that FF! They had 7 All-Americans on the roster!
The 2000-2001 Roster: (IMHO the greatest WCBB team ever)
D. Taurasi G AA/WNBA/POY/OLYMPICS GOLD
M. Conlon G
S. Bird G AA/WNBA/POY/OLYMPICS GOLD
K. Schumacher C WNBA
M. Czel G
K. Walters G
A. Jones F/C AA/WNBA/OLYMPICS GOLD
M. Valley G
A. Battle G WNBA
K. Johnson G
S. Abrosimova F AA/WNBA/OLYMPICS SILVER USSR
J. Moore C WNBA
S. Cash F AA/WNBA/OLYMPICS GOLD
S. Ralph G/F AA/POY
T. Williams F AA/WNBA
C. Rigby C
This team- wasn't the overall consensus that UCONN was the #1 team in the country and its bench #2?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'd love to see Lobo, Wolters, and Sales take them on.

Stewie would have been too much for Becca, Wolters would have shied from the challenge. Sales would have been the only match-up winner for that team, but not enough to win.

I also vote None Of The Above. That 2000 team was the game-changer.

Last edited:

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Stewie would have been too much for Becca, Wolters would have shied from the challenge. Sales would have been the only match-up winner for that team, but not enough to win.

Stewie definitely would've been a handful for Rebecca but Kara would've been waiting for her once she got by Rebecca.

You really think Kara would've back down from that? Granted, it's sophomore Kara Wolters, but, still. She hung 31 on Stanford in Minneapolis.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You really think Kara would've back down from that? Granted, it's sophomore Kara Wolters, but, still. She hung 31 on Stanford in Minneapolis.

I can't get past a 10-loss UT team saying their game plan was to jam it down her throat and she let them.

Reaction Score
Kara Wolters has repeatedly said that in today's WCBB she would be coming off the bench for limited minutes because the game has gotten so fast and so much more athletic than when she played in the late 1990's! Pam Webber started every game her 4 yrs. at G at UCONN and she would be like a walk on with today's roster! That's why the refs su..k so bad, the speed of the game is too quick for them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom