Poll - UConn's Record after Two Games | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Poll - UConn's Record after Two Games

What will UConn's Record be after two Games

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Having been a coach for 32 years I've learned that anything is possible in sports!
That being said, I've followed UCONN WBB since 1995 and I've learned that you don't bet against a Geno Auriemma team! Geno is the master of finding the opponents strength and cutting it off.
FSU is a 20+ win and Baylor, even with their superior height advantage doesn't move as well as I've seen this year's version of the Huskies! Even though the 2 wins were against two lesser opponents, quickness, speed and great athletes remains a constant that Baylor can't match! This team has no real star but if they can play AS A TEAM offensively and defensively they will be tough all season!
Plus being in Gampel is worth several bonus points!

Reaction Score
itsasport - I will discuss the details after the Baylor vs UConn game. Also, I will answer your question "Why Baylor was able to pull away from Emporia in the fourth quarter".

It will be our secret. Geno doesn't read the Boneyard, and I won't tell him. Every other Boneyarder, promise to close your eyes.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I chose 0-2 because it's still very early days for this squad having lost its core and not having a lot of size outside of Butler and Irwin. I think this year's team will develop and progress more throughout the year than almost any team in recent memory, because it will have to and because Geno & Co. will make them do so. I am still guessing that by tournament time they will be a tough out.

I understand that Baylor did not look like a bunch of world-beaters against Emporia, but I think they will be a little too much for our guys right out of the gate. FSU has some talent and a #12 ranking, and they will be hungry for a home win. I just think this squad needs more time before I would expect a road win against a good team in early November.

Even if they do go 0-2, the only "bad" part will be that the streak of no consecutive losses, which began when Lincoln was president, would be over. Otherwise, early losses will be something they can build on. I'm not concerned about early losses against good teams, especially this year.

I'll be very happy to be proven wrong about these first two games!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I was wondering what you saw specifically that makes you feel that UConn can overcome Baylor's height advantage.

They were able to pull away in the fourth quarter. Why do you thing that was?

Their forum was very concerned about the Baylor defense- not intense, not fighting screens, allowing a lot of open shots. They don't have much time to get their act together.

Hope has been restored in Waco after an embarrassing 89 point win last night. It is no fun to watch that type of game. .

Lauren Cox is just tremendous around the basket. If she gets the ball in the paint chances are she is going to score. She has lead Baylor in scoring in both games with 17 and 19 points. And she is not starting.

If Butler gets into foul trouble that could spell trouble for UCONN so I think her performance is the key to the game.

Reaction Score
Hope has been restored in Waco after an embarrassing 89 point win last night. It is no fun to watch that type of game. .

Lauren Cox is just tremendous around the basket. If she gets the ball in the paint chances are she is going to score. She has lead Baylor in scoring in both games with 17 and 19 points. And she is not starting.

If Butler gets into foul trouble that could spell trouble for UCONN so I think her performance is the key to the game.
Not having seen Cox this year won't stop me from being an expert on defending her! :) I think what Geno will do is post Gabby and Pheesa to collapse around her to intercept or discourage high passes. They are surreally capable of timing their leaps. But your point is well made. It's a question of managing, not preventing, damage.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Not having seen Cox this year won't stop me from being an expert on defending her! :) I think what Geno will do is post Gabby and Pheesa to collapse around her to intercept or discourage high passes. They are surreally capable of timing their leaps. But your point is well made. It's a question of managing, not preventing, damage.

Cox is also a very good passer and she, Mompremier and Brown are very good at finding each other. That is really going to be a tough combo to contain, but Geno is Geno and the best prepared to counter that height.

I will not be surprised to see Chou get minutes if UCONN packs it in the paint. She has good size at 6-1 and is a pure shooter with a beautiful stroke on her shot. She has a sweet 3-point shot but she has surprised me with her ability to get to the basket. She very much reminds me of Penny Taylor with her footwork.

Reaction Score
Cox is also a very good passer and she, Mompremier and Brown are very good at finding each other. That is really going to be a tough combo to contain, but Geno is Geno and the best prepared to counter that height.

I will not be surprised to see Chou get minutes if UCONN packs it in the paint. She has good size at 6-1 and is a pure shooter with a beautiful stroke on her shot. She has a sweet 3-point shot but she has surprised me with her ability to get to the basket. She very much reminds me of Penny Taylor with her footwork.
Obviously, you're on top of this, and I know nothing. But just to say that it's not a question of UConn "packing the paint". Gabby and Napheesa, truthfully, are 2 of the finest pure athletes in WCBB today. They can't face up on Cox, because they don't have the bodies, and, if Cox does get the pass, they probably can't adequately prevent her from scoring. So it's not, I don't think, a question of Cox having to kick out to someone else. But they can anticipate brilliantly and leave their "man" when necessary to intercept or tip the actual pass to her. But overall, yes, I'm sure you're right: it will be very difficult for UConn.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not sure how we get this far into a discussion about a Baylor vs. UCONN matchup and the name Davis does not come up even once. Nina Davis is going to play at least 30 minutes of the game in the post. As great as Nina is that is to UCONN advantage because of her size. Cox, Mompremier & Brown can be run easily or lifted ( taken away from the baseline & basket) in the UCONN half court sets thus forcing Baylor bigs to either give up layups or mid range jump shots.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Not sure how we get this far into a discussion about a Baylor vs. UCONN matchup and the name Davis does not come up even once. Nina Davis is going to play at least 30 minutes of the game in the post. As great as Nina is that is to UCONN advantage because of her size. Cox, Mompremier & Brown can be run easily or lifted ( taken away from the baseline & basket) in the UCONN half court sets thus forcing Baylor bigs to either give up layups or mid range jump shots.

Davis is, at times, at a disadvantage due to her size, but she has a way of scoring. But in both exhibition games Mulkey has been playing two bigs at the same time pretty consistently and rotating Davis around to the 3. I don't think Mulkey will hesitate to have a combination of Brown, Cox, Cave and Mompremier on the court at all times if she feels that the height advantage is sufficient enough to give her an edge. And all four seem to be very good at passing the ball to each other.

Can you guys hurry up and beat FSU so that we can play this game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom