Poll: Renewing Season Tix if Diaco Stays? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Poll: Renewing Season Tix if Diaco Stays?

If Diaco is our coach next year, will you renew your season tickets?

• yes

Votes: 103 34.2%
  • no

Votes: 163 54.2%
  • cutting down

Votes: 35 11.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We need every marginal fan we can get and we've got the Fan Police here trying to chide people for being fair weather. YOU are part of the problem, holier than thou new guy.

Yes, the marginal fan is the one arguing that you should go to the game. I'll see you guys if we start winning again I guess.

Reaction Score
You know what - I support the GD programs enough that even though the basketball team doesn't play a single interesting OOC game at home after 4 NCs in 2 decades..

I spent 7 hours going round trip to MSG on a frigging Monday and spent $300+ all in to sit in the second to last row.

I'm a fair weather fan? Call me when you've driven to Newark Delaware for an A-10 game. So whichever dipsh!t poster you used to be - GFY.

Now that sounds like a die hard basketball fan. You did all of the even though the basketball team isn't doing so hot this year.

I just think its bizarre you guys all come on here yelling about how the program can't afford to pay for a proper coaching staff or how we should be in a P5 conference because we have such a great fan base that turns out, and then you turn around and are stumping for people not to show up. You don't think it's a little weird that you guys are actively trying to convince people why they shouldn't go to the games?

We had an awful season. It wasn't fun to watch. I'm sorry I triggered you by calling it how I saw it. I actually understand if you don't want to go to the games any more. Maybe fair weather fan is too harsh of a term but what would you call it? All I know is I'll keep your seat warm in case we start winning.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Yes, the marginal fan is the one arguing that you should go to the game. I'll see you guys if we start winning again I guess.
Lol. So I'm a marginal fan now huh? Ok Fan Police. You don't have the slightest clue what you are talking about and I have no need to defend my "fandom" to you. Keep yelling at people to attend and collecting those participation trophies, let me know how that strategy works for filling seats. You do have a plan better than berating people, yes?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Now that sounds like a die hard basketball fan. You did all of the even though the basketball team isn't doing so hot this year.

I just think its bizarre you guys all come on here yelling about how the program can't afford to pay for a proper coaching staff or how we should be in a P5 conference because we have such a great fan base that turns out, and then you turn around and are stumping for people not to show up. You don't think it's a little weird that you guys are actively trying to convince people why they shouldn't go to the games?

We had an awful season. It wasn't fun to watch. I'm sorry I triggered you by calling it how I saw it. I actually understand if you don't want to go to the games any more. Maybe fair weather fan is too harsh of a term but what would you call it? All I know is I'll keep your seat warm in case we start winning.

Thanks Superfan. We want THE GD SCHOOL TO CARE AS MUCH AS WE DO. We are trying to get their attention and let them know we aren't going accept garbage like Bob Diaco.

Reaction Score
I understand I'm probably going to get run out of the joint, but I really have to say this. I'm not happy with the results and wish we were in a better spot just as much as anyone here. I've gone to pretty much every single home game for the past 10 years or so (with the exception of 3-4 due to deaths) and have suffered through as much awfulness as possible for the past 6 years.

With that said, in my opinion, those 160 who said they will not renew are the textbook definition of fair weather fans. And you can come at me and disagree with me all you want, which I know you all will, but when you do all I ask is that you post a link to the definition of what a fair weather fan is and then explain to me how its not you.
I have been a season ticket holders snice the last season at Memorial. I did not attend uconn. I have been to all our bowl games except last year. I attend at least 1 out of town game a year. Been to our best out of town games in ND and Maryland and our worst ecu this year and ucf 3 yrs ago. I also attend osu and wvu games with uconn gear on. I bought an extra season ticket when diaco was hired. had a hard time getting someone to use it but this was my way to support program. If diaco is here after Jan 2 I will not renew. He has made us a joke around the country . If I am a fair weather fan then kiss my fat a×$

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
One other thing. Everyone will be back before we start winning. They will be back when Diaco is gone and there isn't any chance they are winning before then.

Reaction Score
Lol. So I'm a marginal fan now huh? Ok Fan Police. You don't have the slightest clue what you are talking about and I have no need to defend my "fandom" to you. Keep yelling at people to attend and collecting those participation trophies, let me know how that strategy works for filling seats. You do have a plan better than berating people, yes?

Yes, my plan is to show up to the games and support my team when they're winning or losing. I'm not asking you to defend your fandom, just to own it.

Reaction Score
Thanks Superfan. We want THE GD SCHOOL TO CARE AS MUCH AS WE DO. We are trying to get their attention and let them know we aren't going accept garbage like Bob Diaco.

That is going to be a fruitless exercise. There is a reason why they haven't fired Bob Diaco. We simply don't have the money. And honestly, unless the money was specifically earmarked by the donor to fire him, it would be better spent elsewhere. Not showing up may send that message, but I'm pretty sure they already have gotten the message. Just nothing they can do about it now. The people who are getting the message are other schools and conferences looking at an empty stadium. You're doing more harm than good.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have been a season ticket holders snice the last season at Memorial. I did not attend uconn. I have been to all our bowl games except last year. I attend at least 1 out of town game a year. Been to our best out of town games in ND and Maryland and our worst ecu this year and ucf 3 yrs ago. I also attend osu and wvu games with uconn gear on. I bought an extra season ticket when diaco was hired. had a hard time getting someone to use it but this was my way to support program. If diaco is here after Jan 2 I will not renew. He has made us a joke around the country . If I am a fair weather fan then kiss my fat a×$

If you would like him gone and want to get the school's attention, I suggest you raise the $5 million to buy him out. The problem we have is 1) we don't have that money laying around and no donors is ponying up and 2) firing a coach at the beginning of January is suicide since it's literally a month before signing day.

Reaction Score
One other thing. Everyone will be back before we start winning. They will be back when Diaco is gone and there isn't any chance they are winning before then.

And I'll welcome you all back with a big smile.

Reaction Score
This kid just doesn't get it and frankly lacks any kind of foresight, being so busy up there on his high horse. He thinks we can't handle losing, when we (fans as well as the program) really just can't tolerate another season of Bob Diaco's especially demoralizing style of losing.

Reaction Score
This kid just doesn't get it and frankly lacks any kind of foresight, being so busy up there on his high horse. He thinks we can't handle losing, when we (fans as well as the program) really just can't tolerate another season of Bob Diaco's especially demoralizing style of losing.

I don't get how I'm being on a high horse, is it because I said I'm going to go to the games win or lose?

And you literally just said that I think you can't handle losing and that you can't tolerate the especially demoralizing style of losing in the same sentence.

Reaction Score
I don't get how I'm being on a high horse, is it because I said I'm going to go to the games win or lose?

And you literally just said that I think you can't handle losing and that you can't tolerate the especially demoralizing style of losing in the same sentence.
Randy had some bad losses.

PP had some worse losses.

But neither of those men would have lost to Navy, BC, ECU, and Tulane (and those are just losses from this season) in the respective fashions in which did Diaco. That qualitative form of losing, especially when followed by such flippantly delusional response to said form of losing, cannot be tolerated by any football program that wishes to be taken seriously by anyone. And it's to the point where it feels like the only thing anyone who cares about the program can do is hurt the administration in their wallets until they wake up to that fact and make the necessary changes.

Reaction Score
Randy had some bad losses.

PP had some worse losses.

But neither of those men would have lost to Navy, BC, ECU, and Tulane (and those are just losses from this season) in the respective fashions in which did Diaco. That qualitative form of losing, especially when followed by such flippantly delusional response to said form of losing, cannot be tolerated by any football program that wishes to be taken seriously by anyone.

This is what I can't understand about this. The program has their hands tied. There is nothing they can do. So worst case you have to ride out another ugly year of Diaco. Best case is that there is something we all missed and it turns around next season. Either way he is going to be the coach. As a fan who, I'm assuming takes pride in saying that they were there in the darkest days when they first moved to D1, why would you want to change that answer now?

And here's the more important question. A lot of you are now saying it's Diaco not the losing that is making you not show up and support the team. Even as unrealistic as you may think this scenario is, what are you going to do if Diaco wins 7 or 8 games next year and is around for another 3 or 4 seasons? Do you buy tickets if Diaco is still the coach but is winning?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That is going to be a fruitless exercise. There is a reason why they haven't fired Bob Diaco. We simply don't have the money. And honestly, unless the money was specifically earmarked by the donor to fire him, it would be better spent elsewhere. Not showing up may send that message, but I'm pretty sure they already have gotten the message. Just nothing they can do about it now. The people who are getting the message are other schools and conferences looking at an empty stadium. You're doing more harm than good.

No offense but you are completely nuts.

It's still 3.4 million at the end of next season.

Better spent elsewhere? My lord on what?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What about that is nuts? If they had the money and wanted to fire him, he'd be gone. Is that something you disagree with?

They still need the money in the future. So there is no reason to delay finding it.

Reaction Score
They still need the money in the future. So there is no reason to delay finding it.

If 2017 turns out like 2016 I think it would make donors more inclined to open up the checkbook. They obviously haven't been convinced that terminating his right now is worth the money.

If 2017 is ugly Diaco would probably be looking to move on himself in order to get another HC or DC job. The buyout is $1.7 million starting in 2018, but since it would be better for Bob to be out there job hunting in December, he would probably take the 2018 buyout in December.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If 2017 turns out like 2016 I think it would make donors more inclined to open up the checkbook. They obviously haven't been convinced that terminating his right now is worth the money.

If 2017 is ugly Diaco would probably be looking to move on himself in order to get another HC or DC job. The buyout is $1.7 million starting in 2018, but since it would be better for Bob to be out there job hunting in December, he would probably take the 2018 buyout in December.

The administration created this mess. They are paid to solve it. Go find 3.4 million in the budget.

They have no problem bragging about having the highest G5 budget - how about flexing that muscle.

Is 3.4 million going to cause pain - yep and that's what happens when you screw up.

Allowing this coach to run potentially the worst FBS school in the country onto the field next year combined with a recruiting class that is a fireable offense on it's own is the absolute worst thing they can do for the health of the AD.

Reaction Score
It's not there.

The administration 100% created this mess, but the only solution is donor money. If it's not there all they can do is slap some lipstick onto the pig and roll it back out there. It's unfortunate, it will most likely be painful, but that is what is in the cards.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's not there.

The administration 100% created this mess, but the only solution is donor money. If it's not there all they can do is slap some lipstick onto the pig and roll it back out there. It's unfortunate, it will most likely be painful, but that is what is in the cards.

That's what go find it means. It means 3.4 million of cuts to other things.

Reaction Score
That's what go find it means. It means 3.4 million of cuts to other things.

I understand what you are suggesting, but that's unreasonable and would not fly. First of all, the total athletic budget is around $72M. So to come up with $3.4 million would mean cutting 5% which would be a draconian task. To put the $3.4 million into perspective, the Women's basketball program currently operates on a budget of approximately $7-8 million. Obviously you wouldn't cut in to one of the bigger programs, which means you'd have to pretty much eliminate smaller programs to find that kind of money. On top of that, all of the cuts would have to come from current men's sports programs, otherwise the proportional Title IX spending would be thrown out of whack.

Also, since the university currently subsidizes the athletics program to the tune of $28 million, mainly coming from tuition, spending that money on firing someone would be a PR nightmare. The university is already under heavy scrutiny for the high subsidy amount. The administration would lose their jobs in a heartbeat if they did that.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes, this kid would like you to explain how you make $3.4 million suddenly appear. The nerve, right?

It happens in organizations all over the world every day.

Your premise is that they lose their jobs if they do the right thing but will keep them for doing the wrong thing.

What will happen to them next year when they have a 1-11 trainwreck on their hands and even less money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom