POLL: Pick one question mark to be true for 2013-14 | The Boneyard

POLL: Pick one question mark to be true for 2013-14

Which of the below, if true, would have the most positive impact on UConn?

• Stef plays like the best center in WCBB

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • KML hit 100+ three-pointers for a second consecutive year

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Bria is all the way back physically and mentally

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • Banks overcomes all physical/psychological issues with ACL tear

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • MoJeff makes a sophomore leap

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • The light comes on for Kiah Stokes

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • Other

Votes: 3 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Imagine you get to pick any of the options above as true. Which would have the most positive impact on this UConn team? By the way, I left "Other" as the last remark because seven options is all you can have in polls on this board.

Some thoughts about the options.

Stef now has the opportunity to be the best center in WBB now that Brittney Griner is gone. That's going to be a sizable advantage for UConn if true. Can she turn into that kind of player, possibly even contending for First-Team AP AA?

KML had a record-setting performance from behind the arc, hitting more treys than anyone in the history of UConn WBB. She has a chance to set the career UConn record next season (or at least be very close), and she could be the one to set the NCAA-wide career record as a senior. Will she make history as a junior? And if so, will her shooting keep being the primary weapon for UConn?

Bria was a WBCA AA as a sophomore, but an injury and associated psychological issues prevented her from moving forward. In her senior year, will she go back to being the big-time, dangerous player?

Brianna Banks suffered a season-ending ACL injury against St Johns. We expect the rehab to have gone well, and we hope she'll play without the fear of re-injury impacting her game. IN short, we'd love to see the improving Brianna Banks on the team next season.

Moriah started showing all the signs by season's end. She's got the tools that made recruiting services drool. Can she put it together as a sophomore and become the great PG she's been projected to be as a prospect?

Kiah's issues with Geno have been well-documented, but this has got to be her year. Not only would it be really lethal for UConn to have so much post depth this coming season, but when Stef graduates, it's critical that Kiah be a great starting center in 2014-15. Will we start seeing positive signs of this all occuring?

There are plenty of other interesting question marks. After voting, you could suggest some other things you're not sure if you're going to see but would like to.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
OK, I voted the Kiah option partially because it is the development I want to see most. I see that 6'3" frame, wide shoulders, rebounding strength, and great timing on blocked shots and I think what an intimidating factor she could be coming off the bench. Steph or one of the other posts has to come out and here comes the eraser off the bench. Almost not fair... Kiah needs to watch hours of Rebekka Brunson highlights to see the level of aggressiveness she needs to bring.

Putting my own fan interest aside, the most impactful developments on the list would probably be the guards... MoJeff and Bria in that order. If Moriah can be a real Geno point guard, running the show effectively and being a consistent shooting threat, and Bria is at least the Bria from 2 years ago, that will have the greatest impact.

The other choices? Stef was terrific last year. The team does not need her to be better than that, but if she shows improvement... awesome, but not the overall team impact of stellar guard play.

Similarly, with KML... she was RIDICULOUS shooting 3s last year! If she gets better she's even more ridiculous, but the team impact overall would be less than if Moriah and Bria were the best 1/2 in WCBB.

Brianna Banks.... if she comes back 100% of where she was when it happened, there is simply no way out for opposing back courts. Bria or Moriah have to sit? In comes the defensive disruptor with a slashing drive and an effective 3. I don't remember which game it was but Moriah and Brianna were getting minutes together and the result was mayhem for the opposing offense... complete disruption. I loved that weapon.

"Other" is probably Morgan first... If Morgan takes a sophomore leap, we might have two starting teams that could win the AAC. She is a finisher and a position player with a demonstrated outside shot that was inconsistent last year. Potential to be Tamika Williams/Asjha Jones hybrid. WOW.

Another "Other" is Stewie... What would the impact be if she plays all year at or above the level she played at in the tourney? My gosh, our already CRAZY-good team would be unstoppable.

The other, other "Other", Saniya... she comes in with an expectation for BIG upside, but she is in a situation of little to no pressure and she has great teammates and coaches to bring her along as "Bria-in-waiting". Its good to be Ms. Chong. If she comes out of the blocks with impact this year there just won't be enough basketballs and minutes to go around.

Biggest problem for UConn is not enough high level competition exists in the country, let alone the league to challenge them night-in and night-out. Its tough to improve when you are crushing opponents by 40 points every game. If we had gone to the ACC the situation would be a bit better.

It strikes me that it is likely that one or more of these scenarios will come to pass. Barring injuries, this is going to be a memorable and possibly magical year. We are in line for nine.

GO HUSKIES!!!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Tough question, Alex. If you mean that the other choices WON'T happen, then it's almost impossible to choose.

Stef played like the second best center for most of last year until injuries impacted her towards the end of the season. She will be, if not the best, one of the best and she was AA last year. Tough to make 1st team, but either way, she will have a positive impact on the team.

KML will make a ton of three point shots. Book it. Will it be 100 plus? Doesn't matter. 90-110, she will have a positive impact.

Hartley showed in the NCAA and the WUG that she is back, physically and mentally. So a player that plays close to an AA performer is who Uconn will have. Positive impact a plenty.

The other choices in your poll are much more questionable. So I chose one of those.

I always think that the point guard is incredibly important to winning a championship. So I chose Jefferson to be a great point guard. If she can hit a few outside shots, her ball handling, passing, driving, and defensive abilities are already great and shy will make the most positive impact between anything that Banks and Stokes can bring.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I voted the Kiah option because I think all the rest are coming true without my vote. Staggered that 47% had voted with me!

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I picked Stokes because she could be the most important bench player on the team. An offensively minded Stokes would reduce Dolson's minutes and just as important it would set her up to be the starting center next year.

I don't have any doubts about Hartley this year and Dolson doesn't need to be the best center in D1 for UConn to win another NC. She just needs to be healthy.

Reaction Score
Kiah is my choice on this one. I believe she has more instinct on defense than Stef. If she can put up some offense and be consistent all around, she would be a great back up for Dolson.

Reaction Score
Stef Dolson Kaleena Mosqueda Lewis, Breanna Stewart, Morgan Tuck and Kiah Stokes. No team in college women's college basketball has that kind of depth. No team would be even close.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
It seems that Kiah is the new Heather in terms of fond hopes prior to each season.
Not disparaging those well-wishers but my money goes on Bria, whose killler instincts and ambition (now that she's overcome her physical and emotional demons ) will come forth with the leadership and firepower to discourage all who hope to challenge.

Just as she did in both final-four games.

Reaction Score
If Bria Hartley excels scoring and distributing the ball with few turnovers, the team will be virtually unbeatable.

Reaction Score
I wanted to vote for them all, but I am a big fan of Kiah, so I voted for her to do well this year.

Reaction Score
Tough choice between Kiah and MoJeff. I kind of wanted to go with Kiah because I so want to see her reach her potential and I think a lot of WCBB fans will be shocked by just how dominating she can be. That said, with Stef and Bre at the 5 and 4, the light going on for Kiah would really just give us more depth, which I'm hoping we don't need. MoJeff making the sophomore leap would, I suspect, be more impactful. Not that I don't expect her to, but the tiny bit of uncertainty I have about this team would be erased if MoJeff makes that leap. At that point only injuries or a Louisville (vs. Baylor) like performance will be able to stop us from picking up #9.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
It seems that Kiah is the new Heather in terms of fond hopes prior to each season.
Not disparaging those well-wishers but my money goes on Bria, whose killler instincts and ambition (now that she's overcome her physical and emotional demons ) will come forth with the leadership and firepower to discourage all who hope to challenge.

Just as she did in both final-four games.

Kiah and Heather in terms of fond hopes? Not even close.

The question was "Which of the below, if true, would have the most positive impact on UConn?" Not which you think will happen.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The question was "Which of the below, if true, would have the most positive impact on UConn?" Not which you think will happen.

Good gracious Doggy is that two demerits or three?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
At first glance, I thought Bria. She had a subpar year by her standards last year. If she gets back to where she was and the others perform as they did much if last year, we are very solid. But Bria looked good late, especially in the Final Four, so I'll assume she's back or close.

But I like MoJeff as the choice. We had a sophomore PG win the Lieberman Award 13 years ago. She was really good, and the team was devastating. If Moriah plays like Sue Bird, this team will run the table and challenge multiple records. I expect Stef, Kaleena, Bria, and Stewie to play at or near an AA level. If Moriah does too, this will look like an All-Star team.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
At first glance, I thought Bria. She had a subpar year by her standards last year. If she gets back to where she was and the others perform as they did much if last year, we are very solid. But Bria looked good late, especially in the Final Four, so I'll assume she's back or close.

But I like MoJeff as the choice. We had a sophomore PG win the Lieberman Award 13 years ago. She was really good, and the team was devastating. If Moriah plays like Sue Bird, this team will run the table and challenge multiple records. I expect Stef, Kaleena, Bria, and Stewie to play at or near an AA level. If Moriah does too, this will look like an All-Star team.

Yup - Mo and our PG play are the real limiting factors at work this season. If she's so-so, we'll be dominant for the most part but not legendary. If Mo takes a big step forward, we could have an all-time team on our hands.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Mo Jeff would be the one- and I think Banks is second most important. Just think about what Skylar did to us and Kimba Walker did for a young and relatively average team!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom