POLL: Pick one player (not EDD) you wish Geno had at UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

POLL: Pick one player (not EDD) you wish Geno had at UConn

Pick one player (not EDD) who you most wish played for Geno

• Bridgette Gordon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sheryl Swoopes

Votes: 10 9.1%
  • Chamique Holdsclaw

Votes: 12 10.9%
  • Candace Parker

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • Skylar Diggins

Votes: 9 8.2%
  • Brittney Griner

Votes: 31 28.2%
  • Other- indicate who in the thread

Votes: 22 20.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was intrigued by Giled Goring (sp). At that time she sounded
Ike a B Griner type player. She committed o UCONN but alas, ended up at an Iowa Jr College. As far as I know she never did much as a BB player after that. But who knows what might have been had she come to UCONN?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Come on. Tamika catchings in a landslide.

A more odd choice for me: semeka Randle. Loved her fire and toughness (consequently hated her at TN). Always thought Geno could have made her a far better player.

Reaction Score
I'm torn between Holdsclaw and Griner given the list in the poll. At the end of the day my vote is for Chamique.

Reaction Score
Griner....4+years ago ; And Aja' Wilson today. Griner was a game changer. And could have won 4 NC's at UConn in my opinion.

Put Aja' Wilson on this years team (with Stewie) and you have another 2 straight NC's .....at least.
Put Aja anywhere and UConn has another 2 straight NCs ...at least ...if you get my drift;)

Reaction Score
Katie Smith bc she was awesome and I grew up idolizing her before I even knew about UCONN

Catchings bc just look at her.....she's 1st coming of Maya Moore and embodies the UCONN mold

Reaction Score
All good choices. I think for me it's not so much who would have been the most fun to watch at UCONN, but who could have brought the most NC's while at UCONN. UCONN didn't win #1 until 1995 so i'm not sure Gordon or Swoopes would have made a difference I had to go with Holdsclaw - if she could have helped UCONN win 2 or 3 more, that would have been pretty cool!

None. Geno and CD have done incredibly well with the players they've had.
My choice would be the one's Geno and Christine brought to Uconn. Griner--is NOT my choice. As a Pro with USA she played well, showed her hot heat side--I don't think at Baylor, if the truth be told, Mulkey didn't get her to be the team mate she wanted. Can't complain about the players on this list--I honestly don't see a Uconn player type on it.

Reaction Score
Katie Smith bc she was awesome and I grew up idolizing her before I even knew about UCONN

Catchings bc just look at her.....she's 1st coming of Maya Moore and embodies the UCONN mold
Katie Smith--was a low profile player (with the media) but skilled, tough, tenacious, and a scorer. Her bright light was hidden.

Reaction Score
I was intrigued by Giled Goring (sp). At that time she sounded
Ike a B Griner type player. She committed o UCONN but alas, ended up at an Iowa Jr College. As far as I know she never did much as a BB player after that. But who knows what might have been had she come to UCONN?
Am I wrong didn't she actually play one season with Uconn --academics, and practice were her limiting factors--she moved thru about 5 colleges, me thinks!! Her potential was better than her results.

Reaction Score
Is your real name Alison Bales? (can't help it, I'm a Terp) If Kristi stays healthy and can be a little more consistent, she could be a real star. She is understated and does not get the attention she deserves, in my biased opinion.
Kristi Oliver--a Harrisonburg, Va HS star--ran thru Rockingham HS teams--she WAS really,really good--operative word, WAS is now making her money playing in Europe.

Reaction Score
What about that Jackie Germoles or whatever her last name was out of Cali.... But in all seriousness.... the player I would have love to have landed at UCONN is Chiney. I think had Chiney been with us we could have kept going.... and going... and going....
I'll second that along with Nneka--but let us be thrilled--we got Lou Samuelson--that will make up for a lot of "didn't gets".
Nneka and Sis play hard, rebound with the best and are fair to midland scorers (understatement)

Reaction Score
Brittany Hunter as a freshman and therefore all four years as the superstar she could have been.
Think of bond Hunter had with Geno. She got to play the minutes she defined, WOW. Brittany was talented and determined.
She came to UConn from Duke, who couldn't fix her knee---Uconn Med Ctr--didn't really fix it but gave her more mobility than was ever expected and she gave Uconn excellent minutes and a superb teammate.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
I honestly don't see a Uconn player type on it.

Sheryl Swoopes and Gordon were both UConn-type players.

It's a tough call between Catchings and Swoopes but I picked Swoopes, I mean, come on.

On the other hand, I really would love to known what Jackie Stiles would've been like at UConn.

Reaction Score
After the recent world championships, I get the sense that Nneka wishes she had gone to UCONN, and we would have been lucky to have her. She was one of the most motivated to make the team, and took great joy in making the most out of her contributions in helping USA win.

I also think that Kara Lawson would have made a great UCONN player.

Reaction Score
Tamika Catchings is the closest Vol player to UCONN's heart & soul, all out style of play! No other Vol player is close!
Lindsay Whalen is my 2nd choice! Geno loves coaching her on USA team!
Brittany Griner would be my 3rd choice! Interesting to think what Geno & staff could have done with all that potential in college!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Tamika Catchings is a basketball treasure and as fine a person as you can expect to meet, but I question what impact she would have had on the program. After all, She did win a national championship in her freshman season, but 1997-98 would have been a challenge for UConn even with her given the Sales injury. 1998-99 had similar conclusions for both UConn and Tennessee. Catchings was the NPOY in 2000, but UConn won the NC that season without her anyway. Finally, she was injured in 2000-01, and you can't count on her health at UConn.

Don't get me wrong- Tamika is wonderful, and I have the utmost respect and fondness for her. I just think a player like Brittney Griner or Sheryl Swoopes would have had a greater impact to the dominance of UConn, be it because of making UConn a championship program earlier (Swoopes) or helping UConn produce an utterly unfathomable 235-game winning streak (Griner).

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Makes perfect sense, Alex: but, the lovely thing about the way the question is worded is, it doesn't ask who would've had the greatest impact, or who would've brought the most success. It simply asks who would you have liked to see, which allows folks (like me) to indulge in a certain degree of impracticality.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
pinotbear said:
Makes perfect sense, Alex: but, the lovely thing about the way the question is worded is, it doesn't ask who would've had the greatest impact, or who would've brought the most success. It simply asks who would you have liked to see, which allows folks (like me) to indulge in a certain degree of impracticality.
Totally agree- everyone's got different criteria here. :)

Reaction Score
Whalen

wnba_g_whalen_576.jpg

I agree.

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
Not so sure that we even need to indulge our personal appetites for impracticality on this one. Although it is the bread and butter of sports forums, impact is a funny thing to extrapolate/interpolate from data that for the most part doesn't exist...

We all know that life is an imponderably large series of decision points. Do we go left or do we go right... the consequences of our choices are made crystal clear to us, but there is nothing to suggest that we would meet the same consequences had we taken different actions. The only thing we can know for sure is that but we can never know what would have happened if we had taken the path we didn't choose.

So given that ridiculously obvious introduction, I believe that we can't assume that Catchings injuries, would still have happened if she had come to us... who knows... another possibility would have her career badly decayed... we can't know these things, so it makes little sense to look at the consequences of a player's decisions for guidance. What does make sense is to look at the native talent and basic character attributes of a person if we would like to make merely harmlessly horrible guesses about what different decisions would have brought to a players career and to the team for which she might have played..

And then there is chemistry. Catchings was a pure Geno player. TC would be a great fit no matter where she would have gone because that was one of her special super powers -- universal chemistry. As much as I admire Griner and am happy to see that she has grown and found better footing in life, the inner turmoil that was so much a part of her college years would certainly have been an issue wherever she chose to go because that turmoil was so central to her life at the time. And let's remember, Geno doesn't do player angst. He's a wonderful guy, a spectacularly gifted BBall mind, a great coach, but dealing with deeply seated player turmoil is not one of his super powers. If she had come to UConn she may have spent an incredible amount of time with the swim team. Who knows... Griner might have won Olympic gold in Freestyle and Butterfly had she come to UConn!!!!

When SS played, UConn was just beginning to gel under Geno's leadership and I really don't see her bringing us a championship in 1992 or 1993. Had she played for us a bit later (make that after she graduated) I think that she might have made the difference. 1994 is a case where she may have helped. 1996,7,8,9 are possibilities too, but they are all years that would require the NCAA to give us a waiver to allow a college grad to play for a college team...(tongue meet cheek)

Overall Swoopes would be a good choice too if we are talking players and not championships, but I'd still choose the special talents and chemistry of Catch any day even wrt impact(especially since she played during our lean years of 1997,8 and 1999.

Boo

Reaction Score
Am I wrong didn't she actually play one season with Uconn --academics, and practice were her limiting factors--she moved thru about 5 colleges, me thinks!! Her potential was better than her results.
Yes you are wrong. Goring next made it to UCONN. She was part of a group that tabbed themselves the Fab Five prior to even stepping foot on UCONN as students. However, there were academic issues around Goring as she came from a Caribbean Island if I am not mistaken and moved from school to school to school. It was decided that she would start at a JUCO with her scholarship offer in tack and when she was academically able to play she would come back to UCONN.... but between that time and graduation a number of things came into play. Academics remained an issue, work ethic as well. Out of the Fab Five poor Nicole Wolff had her medical issues, Willnett Crocket was a beast who was inconsistent... Barbara Turner was one of the most impressive undersized players we have had. Ann strother was the #1 player that year... she finished at UCONN with 1,699 points... she was a 3 point shooter and had the height.... Turner finished with 1,629 points with Shea Ralph being the only player in between them for points....

I would have loved to seen Goring at work. She was supposed to be 6'6" if I am not mistaken. That could have helped us their junior and senior years...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom