POLL: OK, let's vote on the most impressive Geno accomplishment | Page 2 | The Boneyard

POLL: OK, let's vote on the most impressive Geno accomplishment

What is Geno's most impressive acccomplishment as UConn WBB head coach?

• Four of the top five winning streaks in WCBB

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Six undefeated seasons vs. five combined for everyone else

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • Nine (and counting) consecutive Final Fours.

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • One, two, three, and four NCs in a row

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • Something else is even more impressive

Votes: 32 39.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Originally had the 1,2,3,4 NC streaks, but changed to 'something else' after I read the posts. Definitely 11-0 in NC games impressed me more. What an amazing feat! But CD deserves to share in that credit, obviously.

Reaction Score
Since 1995 I have been, as all of you, a fan of Geno and UCONN, all those choices above are all parts to the puzzle but in totality it's Geno's humanity that amazes me. His grasp of what is appropriate at that time, during practice, games, or just life in general! The total sum of the man never ceases to amaze me!
With the intelligence, the intuition, the compassion, the sense of humor, all make Geno Auriemma more than an excellent BB coach but someone that would be successful in anything he put his mind to!
The greatest "Geno story" I repeated here a couple of months ago but I'll repeat it for those who missed it-
It's long and in 2 parts:
Geno, Renee: Meeting Of Minds
Rebecca Lobo tells the story that the day before the Finals for the National Championship in 2009 Geno met with the press and she asked if he had read Jeff Jacobs column from that morning and Geno said no and RL gave him a copy and he read it there and when he reached the last sentence he started to cry uncontrollably and walked away! RL said in all the years she had never seen Geno break down like that!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In science fiction you would have "God" like beings transform a barren world into a virtual paradise - Geno went to Uconn and transformed the huskies into a basketball paradise - He now has acquired "God" like status. To me that is an impressive accomplishment.

Reaction Score
Originally had the 1,2,3,4 NC streaks, but changed to 'something else' after I read the posts. Definitely 11-0 in NC games impressed me more. What an amazing feat! But CD deserves to share in that credit, obviously.
I think everyone knows Chris is synonymous with Geno in the success UConn has had over the years. He is much more the FRONT man but she does so many amazing things behind the scenes and when you talk of accomplishments, who doesn't factor in Chris Dailey? His wit and gamesmanship have been more in the public eye but Geno has always made note of her importance in what has been done in Storrs Connecticut since they arrived on campus in the mid 80's.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Making it out of Norristown Pa to becoming one of the great basketball coaches of all time. My wife grew up near Geno, went to high school with him, and .
Congrats to you. You showed great taste in marrying her. Have you visited the area lately?

Reaction Score
Since 1995 I have been, as all of you, a fan of Geno and UCONN, all those choices above are all parts to the puzzle but in totality it's Geno's humanity that amazes me. His grasp of what is appropriate at that time, during practice, games, or just life in general! The total sum of the man never ceases to amaze me!
With the intelligence, the intuition, the compassion, the sense of humor, all make Geno Auriemma more than an excellent BB coach but someone that would be successful in anything he put his mind to!
The greatest "Geno story" I repeated here a couple of months ago but I'll repeat it for those who missed it-
It's long and in 2 parts:
Geno, Renee: Meeting Of Minds
Rebecca Lobo tells the story that the day before the Finals for the National Championship in 2009 Geno met with the press and she asked if he had read Jeff Jacobs column from that morning and Geno said no and RL gave him a copy and he read it there and when he reached the last sentence he started to cry uncontrollably and walked away! RL said in all the years she had never seen Geno break down like that!
You are soooooo right. There are so many dimensions to Geno and I've always loved hearing him interviewed to get a better sense of the MAN. I can never get enough of him and his love for the game and for his kids comes through all the time. It's wonderful to have Chris as a bit of a counter balance but what a blend!

Reaction Score
A week ago (or something like that), I started a thread on the most imposing/unassailable/impressive/etc. of Geno Auriemma's accomplishments as HC of uConn WBB. This time, I whittled the laundry list down to "only" four accomplishments and made them selectable options in a poll. Here are the choices:

• Winning streaks: UConn has four of the five longest winning streaks in WCBB history: 90 (2008-2010), 75 and counting (2014-2016), 70 (2001-2003), and 47 (2013 NCAA tourney to second game of 2014-15 season). The only entrant in the top five not involving UConn is #4: 54 in a row by La Tech 1980-82.
  • six perfect seasons: UConn went 35-0 in 1994-95, 39-0 in 2001-02, 39-0 in 2008-09, 39-0 in 2009-10, 40-0 in 2013-14, and 38-0 in 2015-16. Everyone else has combined for five perfect seasons: Immaculata 1973, La Tech 1981, Texas 1986, Tennessee 1998, Baylor 2012.
  • Nine Final Fours in a row: this is *still* an active streak. From 2008-2016, UConn made the national semis. The closest streak is five, authored by Notre Dame (2011-15), Stanford (2008-12), LSU (2004-08), UConn (2000-04), and *maybe* someone else as well.
  • One NC in a row (1995, 2000), two in a row (2009-2010), three in a row (2002-2004), and four in a row (2013-2016). Tennessee is the closest with one in a row (1987,1989,1991), two in a row (2007 and 2008), and three in a row (1996,1997, 1998).
So,what say you? What is the most impressive accomplishment Geno has managed, and under what criteria in your view?
I actually think it was the very first national championship in Minneapolis over Tennessee. Geno wasn't yet able to pick his recruits. He had to scratch and claw his way to be respectable.

Reaction Score
Hmmmm, all good. Maybe 11-0 in NC games.

This^^^ I can assume left this off the list because it would have been too easy. Not only 11 Titles, but as you stated 11 -0 in the Title Game.

The other options are beyond great too, but nothing compares to 11 - 0....until he makes it 12 - 0.

Reaction Score
The even more impressive accomplishment is that Geno convinced all of his players not to murder him.

Reaction Score
I would say all of the above but 11 national championships without losing is pretty good but he still is only in second place Chris Dailey is 12 and 0 in National Championship games so she will always have something to bust his butt about

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I went with the winning streaks which is also part of the undefeated seasons. I will be surprised if any of his records are broken - 11 NCs in 11 tries, 9 , etc. but the thing that I marvel at is how consistent his teams are game after game, year after year, decade after decade. That kind of consistency just doesn't exist in other major sports, and even taking into account the competitive landscape of WCBB it is unique. When you think of the dominant teams - TN in the late 90s with their 3 NCs in a row for example, they struggle to sneak in one undefeated season, or Baylor with Griner and Sims going 40-0 but failing to even win a championship in the years on either side of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom