Poll I thought UConn's Record Would Be? | The Boneyard

Poll I thought UConn's Record Would Be?

I thought UConn's Record After 12 Games Would be

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I thought UConn would be the best team come March but only slightly ahead of ND, Baylor and SC. I also expected some growing pains in light of inexperience. I'm delighted to have been proven wrong!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I thought realistically that neither KLS or Phessa would be as good as they are at this moment. Therefore, I thought ND and MD would pick us off on the road due to the high revenge factor. Glad I was wrong

Reaction Score
I thought they'd be anywhere between 9-3 and 12-0. Before the season started, who could really know how they'd do against the ND/s Baylors or MDs of this world? Having said that, I told my wife before the NCAA tournament last year the the second five players on UConn last year (Gabby, Pheesa, Saniya, Nat and Ekmark) would have gotten to the elite 8 and perhaps the final 4. IMHO those first three names who among the three best non-starters in the country were under-rated) So, no, I'm not surprised that the Huskies are 12-0 and I don't think anyone should be shocked. I think that at least in part Geno's talk about his expectations of losing some of the OOC games and being flabergasted at being 12-0 is just talk, partly to motivate the team and partly said just in case they did/do lose.

Reaction Score
Of course I thought this Uconn team would have a perfect record TODAY.

Also I knew how great KLS, Collier, Gabby would be--and i thought Danger would be playing at Div 1 level right now.
I had exceptional hopes for Chong and Natalie.

Of course i truly believed Uconn would lose the Baylor game and the ND game--this was an unproven team. However I knew the starting five plus one would develop and get to the Final 4--I said that many times earlier.
I knew the talent was there---what I didn't know was: The desire and determination of the 10 kids on this team. Big time talent play at a big time level--they do.

Geno is not beyond : Speaking in smoke and mirrors and creating flack for himself to protect his team---he may be truly amazed but he'd be truly angry had they lost 5 games at this point in the season.

Reaction Score
Before the season started I thought that it might take this team some time to find its rhythm. With a much smaller margin for error, I thought there would be an early loss or two. I went to the Baylor game prepping myself that they could possibly lose and it would still be okay for the season - but I would hate to see it! Happily that didn't happen and they remain undefeated so far.

During the AAC season they can work on increasing that margin for error and integrating more players into the game. ND reminded us that good teams can stumble unexpectedly. I would be okay with an inexplicably bad game and unexpected loss before the tourney,(preferably not SC) but this team seems locked in so far without that "teachable moment".

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I though Baylor, ND and MD would be in the loss column. I wasn't sure we could deal with big frontlines right away.

I had confidence that the team would come around but it would take time.

Reaction Score
I thought it would be 10-2. I did not think the FSU game would be so close, but I did think out of Baylor, ND and Maryland, we'd lose 2 out of the 3.
That's exactly what i was thinking...and just prior to the MD game , my sense was that we would lose. However, before the season started I thought we would be a final four team and go as far as the NC if Butler really upped her game. However, IMO , now we have a good shot at the NC if Nat can be just somewhat helpful like her play against MD.

Reaction Score
I figured we would have no more than 1 loss, and at most 2 losses for the whole season with a good chance for a championship and a definite final 4 appearance. The issue for UConn was never about the offense. It was a question of can UConn defend, especially in the post. The biggest surprise is the defensive performance of our post players, GW, NC and yes NB. They have collectively been outstanding. This is the reason we are where we are. In both tight games, FSU and MD, our post players got into foul trouble and the defense suffered as a result. UConn gave up 8 and 19 more points in the second half to FSU and MD, respectively. If UConn post players stay in the game and defend like they are capable of; no one can stop the offense. We have a good shot at 12.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
10-2 for me. Don't ask me which 2. I'm still in a bit of a state of disbelief over where the team is right now. When you think about it all these "kids" made a decision some time ago to devote themselves to becoming as good as they could, striving to be good enough to get the nod from UConn and continue to drive themselves in college to become pros and Olympians. The motivation engine of each of these young people is vey, very high. Losses may still come for any number of reasons, but this team has more than earned their jerseys and our trust.

Reaction Score
Like many others I thought UConn will be at 10-2 with the losses being the Baylor and ND with a strong possibility of losing at MD as well. This team has been nothing less than amazing to watch so far! The growth of the players is astounding and the coaching staff has earned every penny they are getting paid :) I do believe that this is Geno's finest job so far!

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I was sure we would lose at South Bend and I thought a loss to Baylor was probable. I underestimated FSU badly and of course we stole that one in the sense that Romero didn't play.

I was not so concerned about Maryland and would in fact be very comfortable playing them again in two weeks on a neutral court. I would predict a 15-20 point win. A lot of Maryland comeback was Slocum going wild and the foul trouble negating our interior defense.

As far as playing them again in three months . . . well, I'm willing to take my chances on them. I would be confident playing ND again. Baylor is the one I'm concerned about.

Reaction Score
That's exactly what i was thinking...and just prior to the MD game , my sense was that we would lose. However, before the season started I thought we would be a final four team and go as far as the NC if Butler really upped her game. However, IMO , now we have a good shot at the NC if Nat can be just somewhat helpful like her play against MD.

My desires are for Natalie to become what she ain't. She'll never be more mobile. Although she was quicker down the court than Jones.
I don't understand her indecision at times. If you watch the 4 they get the ball and know almost immediately where it's going--sometimes defense slows that down--but they still pass without hesitation.
She did better getting rid of the ball as she rebounded--not quite there yet but better.
She had one blatantly bad move--guarding Jones , she had Jones pinned, but slipped by her to take on an MD with the ball--jones stepped out made a half turn and scored. Geno replaced Butler immediately with 4 fouls Collier. That can't happen again.
Yet I have hopes.

Reaction Score
Geno has said he thought team would have an 8-5 or possibly 10-3 OOC Record. College women's basketball: UConn finishes up 2016 surprisingly undefeated. Geno is including the So Carolina Game.

What did you think UConn Record Would be after 12 Games? Not what you hoped, but what you believed/acceptable
With me, it was a tossup whether it would be one loss or undefeated. I thought there was the potential for one slip up but maybe not. It's ironic that I considered an FSU win an automatic and yet that was the closest they came to losing. I think Notre Dame at Notre Dame was a concern but that was pretty much it. I do love this teams grit, though. And I thought KLS would be sensational and she has been. I saw her evolving in the latter part of last year both offensively and defensively and her confidence growing. I'm not surprised by what she's done and I felt that Napheesa would be pretty impressive, as well. Gabby and her all around play has really made an great impression on me. Gotta love these kids!

Reaction Score
My desires are for Natalie to become what she ain't. She'll never be more mobile. Although she was quicker down the court than Jones.
I don't understand her indecision at times. If you watch the 4 they get the ball and know almost immediately where it's going--sometimes defense slows that down--but they still pass without hesitation.
She did better getting rid of the ball as she rebounded--not quite there yet but better.
She had one blatantly bad move--guarding Jones , she had Jones pinned, but slipped by her to take on an MD with the ball--jones stepped out made a half turn and scored. Geno replaced Butler immediately with 4 fouls Collier. That can't happen again.
Yet I have hopes.
Wonder if Nat's thumb ever fully healed. Appears at times she has the "yips," in lacking confidence when going for ball or contested shot. I do give her credit for working on her physical conditioning. Look at her body type and ability to make it down the floor quickly and she is better than most of these "All Americans."

Reaction Score
I have to admit, I didn't have any number in mind before the FSU game because I had no clue how this team would blend together. They hadn't really played as a team at all last year. I didn't think FSU would be that big a challenge. I was wrong, but what I saw in that game was enough to make me a believer, even though I didn't think they would be undefeated. 11 - 1 hit me that day and has ever since. But needless to say I very much hope I am/was wrong.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Wonder if Nat's thumb ever fully healed. Appears at times she has the "yips," in lacking confidence when going for ball or contested shot. I do give her credit for working on her physical conditioning. Look at her body type and ability to make it down the floor quickly and she is better than most of these "All Americans."

She's busting her backside to help the team and be (for Geno) trustworthy. No problem with her effort. She sometimes seems to react to a miss or mistake by backing off a little, not pouting, just appearing a little less confident. Shooters need to have a short memory and keep shooting (sports clichè #863). She needs to keep at it and get her short shots going in; if she does that, overall confidence and performance will grow. Natalie gave good contribs against MD, and she will continue to do that. We really need her, and she surely knows that.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I though Baylor, ND and MD would be in the loss column. I wasn't sure we could deal with big front lines right away.

I had confidence that the team would come around but it would take time.

I thought the same way, at least 10-2, possibly 9-3. Based on the way the subs played during garbage time last year when all of the subs were on the floor together, I figured we'd lose a couple, maybe three. They were pretty bad in some of those games. I did not see this coming. We obviously under estimated our girls, and over estimated their opponents. It shows you what we know. I too sign off on the "I'm glad I was wrong" tally sheet. It's very hard to go undefeated during a season, any season. Since we did it last year, there was no reason to think we could do it again, especially after losing the BIG 3.

The hardest part of their regular schedule is behind them. Other members of their conference have shown some improvement, but still have a long way to go. USF appears to be improving the most.
They currently have an 11-1 record losing to Long Beach State by 5 in a tournament in Las Vegas. When they meet UConn on January 10, it will be the first ranked team they see this season.

To their credit, they did beat North Carolina and Georgia pretty handily. USF has been UConn's most competitive conference foe since joining the AAC. I'm confident that the Huskies will not take their games lightly. Currently, South Florida is ranked 23/25 in the AP/USA today coaches polls.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
In watching the OSU-IU game today, I too was reminded how hard Nat worked on her physical conditioning as the little McBride (or not so little) and the IU center were woefully out of shape. The thing I worry about with Nat is a lack of any post moves and her willingness to try and shoot the 10-12' shot instead of trying an up and under move ala Morgan. I was hoping to see her earn more minutes than she has shown as I do worry about Baylor in the Tournament.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I voted 11-1. In October, I didn't concede any game, but I thought the game at ND would be very tough. I thought the Baylor game also would be tough, but we could win at home. I thought the Maryland game on the road might be tough. After the very close FSU game, I became pessimistic. After the Baylor game, my optimism returned.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I had them at 12-0. I didn't think the FSU game would be so close, but a win is a win. Maybe, it was wishful thinking, but I knew they would win against Baylor, Texas, Notre Dame and Maryland. I didn't see LSU, DePaul, Ohio State, Kansas State and Nebraska as a threat.
* UConn won against Maryland by 6 points, but they still won, and a win is a win :).

Baylor - Kim Mulkey waited until Mo, Morgan and Stewie was leaving to schedule UConn.
Texas - I feel Karen Ashton did the same thing Kim Mulkey did.
Notre Dame and Maryland - Muffet McGraw and Brenda Freise were talking too much. How about "Parity" now ? :).

This is a very talented group of ladies. Like the teams before them, Geno Auriemma and Chris Dailey were there for all them.

Last edited:

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I had them at 12-0. I didn't think the FSU game would be so close, but a win is a win. Maybe, it was wishful thinking, but I knew they would win against Baylor, Texas, Notre Dame and Maryland. I didn't see LSU, DePaul, Ohio State, Kansas State and Nebraska as a threat.
* UConn won against Maryland by 6 points, but they still won, and a win is a win :).

Baylor - Kim Mulkey waited until Mo, Morgan and Stewie was leaving to schedule UConn.
Texas - I feel Karen Ashton did the same thing Kim Mulkey did.
Notre Dame and Maryland - Muffet McGraw and Brenda Freise were talking too much. How about "Parity" now ? :).

This is a very talented group of ladies. Like the teams before them, Geno Auriemma and Chris Dailey were there for all them.

Also, I didn't see Dayton and Chattanooga as a threat.

Reaction Score
I am the only person ( besides Geno) who knew how awesome Collier would be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member