Poll: Do You Really Want Mccummings To Take All Of The Snaps? | The Boneyard

Poll: Do You Really Want Mccummings To Take All Of The Snaps?

Do you want McCummings to take 100% of the snaps in the next game?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm still in favor of a mix...but figured I'd start a poll.

Reaction Score
I don't think he's ready for 100% - still needs to work on his passing game and pocket awareness. (Plus as much as we get on JMac, he threw some key completions yesterday.) But I definitely think SMac brings a different dimension to the offense and should get at least as many reps next game if not more. Really depends on what's working and what's not working as the game progresses. It's on the coaches to recognize that.

Reaction Score
I think McCummings should get majority of the snaps, but not all the snaps. They should bring Nebrich in for the other 3rd and keep MAC on the bench as a backup.

Reaction Score
McCummings will be the change of pace guy his entire career here. It's really nice to have as he is a great athlete and is a tough runner and it just makes other teams have something extra to game plan for. If the coaching staff believes Mac is better than Nebrich, you have to leave him in as the starter as long as a bowl game is possible. I'd love for them to play in the Pinstripe bowl, partially because I'd love to have a cold weather game and partially because it would actually be a shorter commute for me :)

Reaction Score
Absolutely nebrich with mccummings. What is holding pp back? I think it is obvious to everyone except the coaching staff. Hopefully nebrich can show pp something in practice the next two weeks.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
All you have to envision with McCummings taking all the snaps was his one passing play where he held the ball for around four years in the pocket while a Syracuse player ran at him in seemingly slow motion and then knocked the ball loose. He's certainly a tough runner and can make some nice plays on occasion but I don't see how anyone can see him as a full-time option when you are basically admitting that you will be taking an entire component of the game out of the list of options.

As for Nebrich / Mac, I have no clue anymore. When Mac was making consistent progress, I was in favor of giving him more time to continue to develop. That progression seems to have halted and if anything, reversed a bit. Do I think Nebrich would be better as a pure passer? Probably not right now (the coaches must be seeing something in practice every day from Nebrich which we can't see from him holding a clipboard on the sidelines). I'd be open to giving him a shot at it though just to see.

Reaction Score
Absolutely nebrich with mccummings. What is holding pp back? I think it is obvious to everyone except the coaching staff. Hopefully nebrich can show pp something in practice the next two weeks.

Agree, except that "playmaking" as per lack of mobility, etc. really comes into play in game not against scout teams. Can't imagine they are hitting QB's in practice or putting the type of pressure on he gets in games. If Nebrich and JMc are in the same Zip Code in practice this is indication need to start Nebrich.

Who did Calhoun make Kemba's sidekick - Beverly or Bazz. I see same with JMc vs. Nebrich - only now coach P has 9 games of chuck and duck by JMc and has wasted some serious game time improvement opportunity for Nebrich. I can see for some reason Nebrich getting in and doing well and some people saying "look how well coach P prepared him, was finally ready to play", or if he plays poorly (hard to play worse than JMc but anything is possible) after one game "that's why coach P didn't put him in" (forgetting this would be experience wise about for Nebrich the Vandy game for JMc).

Continuing to play JMc after his 9 games of performance without even trying the Nebrich alternative (since appears he hasn't given SMc all the plays) is bad coaching (or his comments about Nebrich in practice are not true).

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
All? No not quite yet. Most? Yes.

Reaction Score
All you have to envision with McCummings taking all the snaps was his one passing play where he held the ball for around four years in the pocket while a Syracuse player ran at him in seemingly slow motion and then knocked the ball loose. He's certainly a tough runner and can make some nice plays on occasion but I don't see how anyone can see him as a full-time option when you are basically admitting that you will be taking an entire component of the game out of the list of options.

As for Nebrich / Mac, I have no clue anymore. When Mac was making consistent progress, I was in favor of giving him more time to continue to develop. That progression seems to have halted and if anything, reversed a bit. Do I think Nebrich would be better as a pure passer? Probably not right now (the coaches must be seeing something in practice every day from Nebrich which we can't see from him holding a clipboard on the sidelines). I'd be open to giving him a shot at it though just to see.

No, not 100% that's the extreme.For sure, I'd like to see the other QBs in for full series at a time. not one play here and two plays there. McCummings and Nebrich were recruited as quarterbacks at a time when we had no starting QB.. MacEntee was not recruited at all. Doesn't recruiting mean anything?
Other 1A teams have started first year QBs when a need like this existed and permitted them to grow into the system.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
SM scares me doing anything other than running, included taking the center snap.

Start JM, let MN run the wildcat package with some straight passing options. Use SM as the second running back.

I'm only sort of kidding. SM is a force carrying the ball. Imagine a wildcat set with MN, SM, LM all in the backfield?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score

The coaching staff sees Nebrich play at practice. We have not seen Nebrich play for weeks. So I do not understand how it can be obvious that Nebrich should be playing. Maybe he should and maybe he should not, but the coaching staff has far more information to base that decision on than we do.

Reaction Score
Definitely NOT at this point in McCummings career... He's not ready to do it all... We can still go with the 2 headed monster, but he should CLEARLY be getting the majority of snaps....

Reaction Score
No. I've said this how many times? There are in any given football game about 60-70 plays on average. If you go by the box score, we ran 61 plays on Saturday. McCummings isn't listed with a single pass attempt, although I was bit tipsy, I'm 99% sure that I saw him drop back for a pass at one point, and only once, and nearly lost the ball and it never came out in the air.

The offense McCummings runs, with the unit of players we've got on the offensive side of the ball is good for about 12-15 plays a game - 20 tops. This is what we have been doing all year long. If you run it all at once, you'll get a good quarter out of it, and we did in the fourth quarter against Cuse. The game was perfect for it - tie score, ground game, offensive line controlling scrimmage. If you try to get 4 quarters out of it, we're going from the strength of that offensive package to the weaknesses.

If you start going up above that number of plays with a running QB, defenses are going to start to key in stopping that QB run, and they're going to force either a pitch, or throwing offense to get involved, and they'll leave open receivers down field to stop that QB, or they'll leave holes open for the pitch to stop that QB. We are not built for that as an offensive unit. With Todman, Frey and two fullbacks? Yup - ready for that. We'd be Georgia Tech North. We don't have a backfield taht can do all the multiple blocking and runnign styles you need. McCummings has yet to demonstrate that he can accurately throw down field with any regularity.

What McCummings does ahve going for him, is that this is a big, powerful, tough kid. He can take the ball into a gap in the defense and take a defender or two with him for positive yardage before the knee goes down.

Reaction Score
FWIW - this is not the first time that deleone has put together this kind of offense based on the personnel they've got. I think it was Marvin Graves first year in Syracuse, 1989 or 1990, and they had just graduated MacPherson. I don't remember who the QB's were. P wasn't head coach yet. They were platooning QB's and had almost the same kind of thing they've got going right now, and I'm not exactly sure, but I think Graves was in the same kind of position that Nebrich is in right now watchign mostly from the sidelines and learning. Marvin Graves turned out to be a pretty productive player learning the offense, and then running it by himself. Anyway, not the first time they've done this.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
McCummings has gotten more effective, I think... and at times I think they don't go to him enough... and the occasional play action pass that he can make is a real winner.. BUT he just isn't there yet. Of course I don't know who is "there" yet.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
I don't feel comfortable with him having the throw the ball 20 times, so no. That is not entirely his fault though. They have given him no experience throwing the ball. That is really a shame because it is holding him back from taking the reins and being "the guy".

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
FWIW - this is not the first time that deleone has put together this kind of offense based on the personnel they've got. I think it was Marvin Graves first year in Syracuse, 1989 or 1990, and they had just graduated MacPherson. I don't remember who the QB's were. P wasn't head coach yet. They were platooning QB's and had almost the same kind of thing they've got going right now, and I'm not exactly sure, but I think Graves was in the same kind of position that Nebrich is in right now watchign mostly from the sidelines and learning. Marvin Graves turned out to be a pretty productive player learning the offense, and then running it by himself. Anyway, not the first time they've done this.

If McCummings becomes half of what Marvin Graves was, I'll be ecstatic.

Reaction Score

Sometimes people post things that just make no sense...how could it possibly be "obvious to everyone" that a guy who has done nothing but hold a clipboard for the last 6 games should be the #1 quarterback? Or did you see him toss a gatorade to one of the Moores in a perfect spiral?

Reaction Score
IMHO, if HCPP was going to burn Nebrich's RS, he should have been given him a better chance to prove what he could do under live conditons.

On another note, it's obvious most boneyarders have an opinion about the QB carousl we've witnessed since the spring. After only a few games, the ensuing frustration that has spawned as we've tried to will our opinions into actions concerning HCPP's choice for the starting QB has been agonizing. I know I'm a little ahead of things here, but just imagine the experience WE'LL have in being able to discuss this issue when it comes up again next year...and the way I see it right now - it will. Regardless, you couldn't ask for a better cast to choose from. In no particular order there'll be the CT Gatorade State Player of the Year vs a member of the MA High School Football Coaches Association All-State Team vs a first team all-state player and player of the year from VA vs Trick Shot Johnnie from CA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom