Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Suppose Elena announces before the draft that she will only play close to home, i.e., Washington / New York / Connecticut. Does that cause her to drop to #4 where Washington can get her, or does someone draft her and trade her? Would the Sun bid for her in that case? I can't figure out a trade that the Sun could offer that would provide equivalent value to her, but I would love to see her playing in Connecticut.

Reaction Score
The Sun have no trade bait, and their core players besides Tina, that is Asjha and Kara, are running out of time to win a title.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I'm with those who think EDD will be a big star whereever she goes, always thought so, have followed her to Princeton, Hofstra and Columbia (she didn't play that night), have watched the team regularly on their streaming network and have driven down for a few games.
Her critics just haven't watched her enough, she's the real thing.

Reaction Score
More analysis of both players is needed.
EDD has played against few good players, so harder to evaluate how she'd do in the W. Also will be interesting to see how Diggins will do with a weaker supporting cast.

How would Diggins professional team's supporting cast be "weaker" than her college team? Different players and coach may be the better question mark. I think Diggins goes 3rd. I think Tulsa should consider trading her to a team that has a loaded bench. They could get a couple of good, serviceable players from a New York or LA and hold off till the next draft if they want a pg with both Hartley and Sims available. Diggins would be a marketing dream for larger markets. Regardless of what some may think of her skill as a player she is without doubt being groomed to be a crossover star. I think she's around 264,000 followers on Twitter, has interned with ESPN doing both behind the scenes and camera work for them, and has been given public recognition from "stars" that has brought new attention to the game. I don't think Chicago or Tulsa would be best for her or the WNBA.

Reaction Score
How would Diggins professional team's supporting cast be "weaker" than her college team? .

I was referring to ND this year vs ND the last two years.
Some folks have alleged that Diggins isn't _that_ good, and has benefited from the team around here. I dsagree and think we will see her leading this team. Either way, something important to see in order to evaluate her talents.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Diggins is a very good player. She had Sims on her almost all game in the championship and still put up 20+ points. Sims is a pretty darn good defender. Diggins will probably elevate her game even more this season.

I would say that she made those around her better, not vice versa.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I agree that Diggins is a very good player and has delivered admirably in crunch time the lasr coupla years as we all know.

But she also has a tendency to get frustrated and lose concentration, a trait that will surely be exploited at the next level until she grows up, stops being a prima donna and understands that everything doesn't always go your way; despite how talented you are and how attractive you are.

She surely will learn this over the next few of the 10-12 month seasons that our young woman play and will eventially be a true super-star

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The problem with EDD is that, if I own a franchise, I am not 100% sure how dedicated she is to competing at and winning at the highest level. Her talent and potential are unquestionable. However, she seems to have found a niche at Delaware where she's happy, fulfilled, and still able to play ball. I'm not criticizing that, but what happens if you take her out of that comfort zone? How will she handle it? Is being the best she can be on the court her priority? Again, that's not a judgment on her personally; it's how you'd have to think if you're running a business and making a potentially franchise-changing decision.

True, her decision to leave Uconn was a long time ago- five years by next year's draft. But the reasons for her decision were not a set of circumstances that changed in the interim, or will ever change. The fact of the matter is that she seems very at peace and content in that decision. Very good for her...but if someone is in a state of peace and contentment that's fundamentally incompatible with what you'd need them to do, wouldn't that worry you a bit?

Now, I'd want to have a very direct, very open conversation with EDD in which I asked her to tell me what I need to hear, not what I want to hear. In the case of a WNBA season, it's certainly shorter than an academic year, so maybe the time away won't create as many challenges for her personally/emotionally.

Then again, she's expressed reluctance about playing overseas. While that may mean she's less worn down by the time the wnba season starts, it also means she's not practicing/playing year round with the best of the best. That's another legit concern.

I think EDD is and can continue to be a better basketball player than Skylar. But I think I know what I'm getting with Diggins. And I'm fairly certain she's the safer choice.

Reaction Score
Suppose Elena announces before the draft that she will only play close to home, i.e., Washington / New York / Connecticut. Does that cause her to drop to #4 where Washington can get her, or does someone draft her and trade her? Would the Sun bid for her in that case? I can't figure out a trade that the Sun could offer that would provide equivalent value to her, but I would love to see her playing in Connecticut.
I am thinking it will be Washington only. If she did not want to play college ball in CT., why would she decide to play pro ball in CT. I am still thinking that she will try to get drafted by Washington.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I am thinking it will be Washington only. If she did not want to play college ball in CT., why would she decide to play pro ball in CT. I am still thinking that she will try to get drafted by Washington.
Because she is five years older and has gained perspective and maturity like all 22 or 23 year olds vs 17 or 18 year olds. She has now experienced more of life away from her sister.

Reaction Score
So what does Chicago do....? I thought it would be interesting to see how many votes go EDD's or Diggins's way. Certainly a lot for the Sky to chew on. (I'm assuming that Phoenix will take Griner, which I know is not a universally held opinion....:rolleyes: )

Like Labron James, DT, or say Maya you never pass on a game changer like BG. It would be a joke to take anyone else. She changes the game on both ends. If you draft Diggins everyone knows your trading your other point guard, and so her value goes down. I think Vandersloot maybe as good or better than Diggins, so why draft a player that high that may only improve your club slightly over what you already have? If you say it's to draw fans well winning will do more to that end than being pretty. EDD, if she is willing to play away from home has the potential to be a major offensive game changer. There is one one in the WNBA with her size and skill. look what she can do being double and triple teamed now. Wait til she gets single coverage and has other players around her to take the load off. We knew coming out of high school she could be the 6'5" 3 point shooting DT. Give me Big Syl, Vandersloot and EDD to build my team around.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
ASU, any word on how Eliza Normen is doing as the season prep picks up?

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
The only way I would consider trading the #1 pick is if it were to Chicago for Sylvia Fowles and the #2 pick (and I would take Diggins with that pick, as Prahalis is not the point guard for a championship contender). And even then, I would have reservations.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Diggins is a very good player. She had Sims on her almost all game in the championship and still put up 20+ points. Sims is a pretty darn good defender. Diggins will probably elevate her game even more this season.

I would say that she made those around her better, not vice versa.

Except she has big losses in Peters, Novosel, etc., who allowed her to score more and be a playmaker because those other players garnered so much defensive attention. The opposite will be in play this year; Diggins will be the focus of the defense, and her teammates need to prove they can finish/score/create.

Reaction Score
While trading the #1 Pick to Chicago for the #2 pick and Fowles is tempting, I still haven't seen enough from Fowles in the way of health and determination to warrant trading away a much healthier and younger as well as potentially better version of herself. Oh and I would want Delle Donne over Diggins easily. Why does Sammy P have to be fabulous when Dee, Bonner, PT, Dupree, and Fowles or Griner are on the court at the same time, she only has to be solid and not turn the ball over.

Plus, with EDD & Fowles, the line-up could be...

Sammy or Dee
Dee or Bonner or Penny
Penny or Dee or EDD or Bonner
Dupree or EDD or Bonner or Penny
Fowles or EDD

...there's like 5,000 different scenarios that are just AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With Griner...

Sammy or Dee
Dee or Bonner or Penny
Penny or Dee or Bonner
Dupree or Bonner or Penny
Griner

...there's like 3,000 different scenarios that are just AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Either way, Fowles & EDD or Griner, I'll be happy.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
While trading the #1 Pick to Chicago for the #2 pick and Fowles is tempting, I still haven't seen enough from Fowles in the way of health and determination to warrant trading away a much healthier and younger as well as potentially better version of herself. Oh and I would want Delle Donne over Diggins easily. Why does Sammy P have to be fabulous when Dee, Bonner, PT, Dupree, and Fowles or Griner are on the court at the same time, she only has to be solid and not turn the ball over.

Because she cannot do that. She has trouble against bigger guards and players with length. She doesn't have the shooting ability to consistently make her shots when open. She is listed at 5-7, and that is a very generous listing.

Plus, with Griner and Dupree, there is less versatility than when Penny Taylor was at the four and Tangela Smith was the default five (because every player could shoot from anywhere on the floor). Dupree has a mid-range shot. Griner is showing a mid-range shot. Neither have three point shots. Now, scoring in the paint will increase tremendously (and defense will be much improved). But I have yet to see Prahalis run a pick and roll consistently, which is what is ideal for Griner.

As for Fowles being much younger, she is 26 (turns 27 this week). She was injured this year and had previous injuries, but for the two seasons before this one, she played in every single game (and she played in 25 games this year).

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
If I am Phoenix, I draft Griner and don't think twice about it.

If I am Chicago, the player I want is Diggins, but I don't draft her at #2 with EDD available.

So, I draft EDD then work at a trade for Diggins (plus another player or future #1 pick). Perhaps with Washington.

Next, with Diggins on board as gate attraction and PG, I trade Vander Sloot for a good player or a future #1 pick. Perhaps with Seattle.

Phoenix gets the game changer in Griner.

Chicago gives up EDD (and Sloot) but gets at least one good very player and at least one future #1 pick.

Better ticket sales and TV viewing in Phoenix, Chicago, and wherever EDD goes.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Because she cannot do that. She has trouble against bigger guards and players with length. She doesn't have the shooting ability to consistently make her shots when open. She is listed at 5-7, and that is a very generous listing.

Plus, with Griner and Dupree, there is less versatility than when Penny Taylor was at the four and Tangela Smith was the default five (because every player could shoot from anywhere on the floor). Dupree has a mid-range shot. Griner is showing a mid-range shot. Neither have three point shots. Now, scoring in the paint will increase tremendously (and defense will be much improved). But I have yet to see Prahalis run a pick and roll consistently, which is what is ideal for Griner.

As for Fowles being much younger, she is 26 (turns 27 this week). She was injured this year and had previous injuries, but for the two seasons before this one, she played in every single game (and she played in 25 games this year).

I am not being a homer when I say this, but BG does have a very nice three point shot. I have watched her drain three after three in warm ups, but Mulkey does not allow her to shoot it. Her stroke is almost identical to her FT motion, which is close to textbook. I wish Mulkey would allow her to shot a couple a game against weaker opponents so that she gets accustomed to it in real game situations and show opponents that she is willing and capable.

Reaction Score
Because she is five years older and has gained perspective and maturity like all 22 or 23 year olds vs 17 or 18 year olds. She has now experienced more of life away from her sister.

Bear I would tend to agree with you, except for the one fact. Blood is thicker than water. If one has followed her career, and I know you have, she is devoted to her sister. Yes she has gained maturity and a perspective, but you fail to take into account she still loves her sister. If she can find a way to stay close, don't you think she would explore that chance?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Bear I would tend to agree with you, except for the one fact. Blood is thicker than water. If one has followed her career, and I know you have, she is devoted to her sister. Yes she has gained maturity and a perspective, but you fail to take into account she still loves her sister. If she can find a way to stay close, don't you think she would explore that chance?
From folks I have talked to I think she has a bigger perspective on that relationship now. One aided by becoming more responsible for her own life as an adult and a recognition that she can have Lizzie as a VIP in her life and, also, live life a bit more broadly.

Reaction Score
Except she has big losses in Peters, Novosel, etc., who allowed her to score more and be a playmaker because those other players garnered so much defensive attention. The opposite will be in play this year; Diggins will be the focus of the defense, and her teammates need to prove they can finish/score/create.

Partially true. Diggins teammates had an awful lot of open looks both under and away from the basket. Diggins drew a lot of the defensive attention which left others open. Diggins did her scoring either finishing on the break or pulling up for a jumper. She did have the benefit of a team that could all pass well so if they drew attention in the paint she'd be open for the 3pt. She didn't have her assists numbers because the others finished with the defensive focused on them. Her bread and butter was to drive and dish. Naturally when a player drives the defense should collapse leaving her teammates open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom