POLL: best trio of Huskies ever? | The Boneyard

POLL: best trio of Huskies ever?

Which would you pick as the greatest trio of Huskies on one team?

• 1995- Lobo, Rizzotti, Wolters

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • 2002- Bird, Cash, Taurasi

Votes: 40 39.6%
  • 2009- Moore, Charles, Montgomery

Votes: 15 14.9%
  • 2014- Stewart, Dolson, Hartley

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2015- Stewart, Jefferson, Mosqueda-Lewis

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • 2016- Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck

Votes: 36 35.6%
  • Other (please specify and discuss in this thread)

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Rare is the season when a single school has three representatives on the WBCA AA team...well, except if you're UConn, in which case, it's happened five times. Certainly, those squads merit consideration for best UConn trio ever, as does a certain trio on the 1995 team that started it all from a championship perspective.

From your perspective, which has been the greatest trio on any UConn roster? Voting is welcome and encouraged!

Reaction Score
I have to go with 2002. IMO the best PG in the modern era of Women's Basketball, and IMO the best women's basketball player, period. Cash or Jones, those two make any trio the Best.

Of course, who knows what the future will bring for Stewie or MoJeff?

Reaction Score
A very tough call....I had to go with 2016. even though 2002 and 2009 are justifiable choices. 2016 had the two best players in the country, and Morgan wasn't far behind. They also took it all in the prior year, something 2002 and 2009 failed to do with the same trios.

Reaction Score
impossible choice, but going with 2002, by the slimmest of margins....maybe memory makes everything seem better....

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Not sure you could go wrong with any of 2002, 2009 or 2016 in terms of college play. I ended up with 2009 - that year they had a NPOY, a Lieberman, and by the end of the year another NPOY to come - the last month of 2009 Tina might have been playing better than Moore.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Really, really tough choices. I particularly like 2002, 2009, and 2016, but I chose 2015, even though that team lost a game. Despite the loss, they set the record for MOV. Why did I choose that trio:

Stewie was the best player in the nation by far and one of the best ever.

Moriah was the best point guard and an incredible defender. She also shot lights out. Perhaps as good as Sue, which is almost unfathomable.

Kaleena was an historic shooter, the best around and statistically the best ever. She demoralized teams. Her presence on the floor opened things for everyone else.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think as far as pros go, it's hard not to give the nod to Bird, Dee and Swin. The first 2 are the best in the world at their positions and Dee is probably the best ever. Swin is currently #13 on the all time WNBA scoring list, a 2X Olympian, and multiple gold medal winner for Team USA in WC's and Olympics. I don't think Tuck ever makes a US National team.

Having said that, if it's about what they did in college then... it's a tough call. Stewie, Mo and Morgan had the "luxury" of being in the same class for 4 years. Dee was only in Sue and Swin's class for 2 years and they lost the NC in Dee's freshman year. I'd have to give the nod (if we are only talking college) to Mo, Stewie and Morgan.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Voting for just one of these trios seems unfair somehow. Great poll. If forced to choose, based on ONLY their UConn seasons, I'll take the 2016. They were undefeated national champions, and it really wasn't close. We measured their "deficiency" by the number of minutes they actually trailed in a handful (or fewer) of instances. Anyone know how many minutes or how many games that actually was?

Reaction Score
Really, really tough choices. I particularly like 2002, 2009, and 2016, but I chose 2015, even though that team lost a game. Despite the loss, they set the record for MOV. Why did I choose that trio:

Stewie was the best player in the nation by far and one of the best ever.

Moriah was the best point guard and an incredible defender. She also shot lights out. Perhaps as good as Sue, which is almost unfathomable.

Kaleena was an historic shooter, the best around and statistically the best ever. She demoralized teams. Her presence on the floor opened things for everyone else.

Very good argument for 2015. It came down to those two choices for me (2015/2016). Tuck's inside presence vs. KML's perimeter shooting. I went with 2016 but really a tie.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Would it change anyone's mind to be reminded that Lobo, Wolters, and Rizzotti were all National Players of the Year?

Indeed, this is exactly why I couldn't leave this trio off of the poll. It's just hard because they didn't have the individual accolades and accomplishments within a single season the other trios did. And even though it's not remotely their fault, the 1995 trio didn't have the wnba draft record. Still, they started it all for Uconn WBB, even though many in the poll recognize those who took the program to new level after new level after Uconn was established as an elite program in 1995.

Reaction Score
2002 had all 5 starters make an AA list that year. Bird 1st team, Cash and Taurasi 2nd team, Jones 3rd team and Williams honorable mention.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
My vote for "other" was to acknowledge Geno, CD and Rosemary for their sustained and preeminent greatness as "a trio of Huskies." (This trio was not limited to four years of success, as players were. ;))

Reaction Score
Magnificent, Tina, and Nee for me and it wasn't a hard choice. DT, Bird, and Cash would be runner-up.

Reaction Score
Would it change anyone's mind to be reminded that Lobo, Wolters, and Rizzotti were all National Players of the Year?
Moriah, and Morgan had to play with the 3 time National player of the Year, so neither of them had the chance to be National player of the year. A solid point in favor of the 2016 team,1, 2, 3, the only time in 20 years the WNBA made the 1st 3 draft picks from the same team.

Reaction Score
My vote for "other" was to acknowledge Geno, CD and Rosemary for their sustained and preeminent greatness as "a trio of Huskies." (This trio was not limited to four years of success, as players were. ;))
I like your thinking . However I would replace Rosemary with Kathy . Someone had to keep Geno in line off the court

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I'd add Ralph, Bird and Abrosimova to the mix. Ralph and Abrosimova were first teamers in 2000 and Bird was the Nancy Lieberman award winner. Team went 36-1, easily could have been 37-0. 2000 was an exceptionally deep roster, but these 3 were the major standouts.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Moriah, and Morgan had to play with the 3 time National player of the Year, so neither of them had the chance to be National player of the year. A solid point in favor of the 2016 team,1, 2, 3, the only time in 20 years the WNBA made the 1st 3 draft picks from the same team.

Excuses, excues. :D

Playing with a reining POY didn't stop Tina. She just went and won a different POY award and then they were both POYs simultaneously :D

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Okay, I started really thinking about this.

Roughly speaking (emphasis on roughly, we're just talking the same ballpark)

Lobo = Charles
Rizzotti = Montgomery (yes, bit of an edge to Jen but ...)
Moore > Wolters ( ... much smaller than Maya over Kara)

Again, roughly:

Moore = Stewart
Renee = Moriah (maybe people have come to seriously underrate Renee, she was a two-time All-American and a Lieberman Award winner)
Charles > Tuck

One more time:
Moore = Stewart
Renee = Bria
which leaves Dolson vs. Charles, which is a tough comparison. Tina scored and rebounded more. Steph passed more. I'd give it to Tina because she scored a LOT more.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Lauren Engeln, Kaleena Mosqueda Lewis, Katie Lou Samuelson-----all from Orange County.
I would put DT in the group, as she is from So Cal, which is close, but not the OC!!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The more I think about it, I believe 2014's trio should get more love, even if not more votes. This trio a) featured an NPOY winner in Stewie, b) two WBCA AAs in Stef and Bria, and c) of that pair of Bria and Stef, two gals who made Geno cry at the conclusion of a 40-0 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom