POLL: #2 Stanford at #1 S. Carolina TUESDAY | The Boneyard

POLL: #2 Stanford at #1 S. Carolina TUESDAY

Who Wins the Last 1 vs 2 matchup of 2021?

• Stanford

Votes: 16 22.2%
  • S. Carolina

Votes: 54 75.0%
  • Overtime either way

Votes: 2 2.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
Okay folks, who ya’ got winning?

S. Carolina 7 Quadrant 1 wins:
NC state
Oregon
UConn
KState
Maryland
Duke
S. Dakota

Stanford 4-2 v Quadrant 1
W gonzaga
W Indiana
W Maryland
W. Tenn

L Texas
L USF

Last Meeting in last final four. Stanford won by 1 with a commanding Lexie Hull performance

Reaction Score
A look back at last year

South Carolina vs. Stanford - Game Summary - April 2, 2021 - ESPN

Matchup
i
i
FG24-6725-60
Field Goal %35.841.7
3PT9-205-8
Three Point %45.062.5
FT8-1211-12
Free Throw %66.791.7
Rebounds4036
Offensive Rebounds2217
Defensive Rebounds1819
Assists911
Steals67
Blocks512
Total Turnovers1112
Fouls1515
Technical Fouls00
Largest Lead99

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I "think" we match up better this year. I'm excited for the game. I'll be there and I'm certain there will be a good crowd. Going to be interesting to see where we are. I know Henderson has been practicing this week so hope she plays because I think our team is very different when she does and it will help Zia. Go Gamecocks!

Reaction Score
Lexie Hull was 4/17. We will live with that.

Haley Jones was the commanding performance in the Final Four.

If Henderson is playing without rust I think Carolina will be ok. If not, could go either way.

Tennessee demonstrated that Stanford is pretty defendable if you can control the boards and stay locked in.

Jones can get a shot when she wants and is one of the more underrated players in the country, but Carolina has a lot more and better equipped bodies to throw at her this year.

Reaction Score
No way. nobody's gonna beat Stanford that bad.

Their two losses this year have been by a total of 8 points.
Their two losses last year were by a total of 9 points
The last team to whup 'em was Oregon's super team in 2019-2020 (we were better ;)).

Reaction Score
I suspect that Tara put more effort into planning for tomorrow's game. SCar lives on their play in the paint. Stanford's bigs need to a)score from outside and draw the SCar defense out of the paint, b) force SCar's guards to beat you from outside. The key stat tomorrow night will be offensive rebounds.

My O/U for the 1st half is 45/47 and I'd take the under. So the over should be a lock. :rolleyes:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I voted for South Carolina, and I think they will win by about a dozen (I'm guessing a score something like 60-50). While I actually think South Carolina's offense is not overly intimidating for us, and we have enough bigs to defend Boston in the paint and spread the likely fouls around, SCAR's defense and rebounding are so, so solid, and I don't think we have enough off-ball scoring power to compensate for the way they are likely to disrupt our sets. And that goes double in a home environment they'll have working to their advantage.

The keys for us are going to be:
1. Transition baskets (that's how Jones got a lot of her points last year).
2. Three pointers. If Jump or Prechtel (or Lexie, or Lacie, or Anna) can get hot early, it will give us more spacing
3. Defensive rebounds of any shots other than layups right under the basket, and as many blocks as possible. See point 1-if we can get rebounds (or blocked shots) and push the ball up the course quickly off of them, it will help us a lot on offense. During the stretch against TN when we went up by 20, they were missing a lot of jumpers and longer-distance layups that clanked back enough to let us push the pace. That will be doubly key because once SCAR gets set on defense they are so good.

I haven't had a chance to see Boston much over a full 40-minute game this year, and I understand she's fitter than ever. That said, the one thing we have working for us is Cam can probably get up and down the floor faster over a 40-minute game than Boston can. But once they're both posting up battling in the paint, I don't like our odds.

Eager to hear what the SCAR folks think about this matchup.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I voted for South Carolina, and I think they will win by about a dozen (I'm guessing a score something like 60-50). While I actually think South Carolina's offense is not overly intimidating for us, and we have enough bigs to defend Boston in the paint and spread the likely fouls around, SCAR's defense and rebounding are so, so solid, and I don't think we have enough off-ball scoring power to compensate for the way they are likely to disrupt our sets. And that goes double in a home environment they'll have working to their advantage.

2. Three pointers. If Jump or Prechtel (or Lexie, or Lacie, or Anna) can get hot early, it will give us more spacing
3. Defensive rebounds of any shots other than layups right under the basket. See point 1-if we can get rebounds and push the ball up the course quickly, it will help us a lot on offense. During the stretch against TN when we went up by 20, they were missing a lot of jumpers and longer-distance layups that clanked back enough to let us push the pace. That will be doubly key because once SCAR gets set on defense they are so good.

I haven't had a chance to see Boston much over a full 40-minute game this year, and I understand she's fitter than ever. That said, the one thing we have working for us is Cam can probably get up and down the floor faster over a 40-minute game than Boston can. But once they're both posting up battling in the paint, I don't like our odds.

Cam is not a problem for us. Lexie IS.

Big question for our offense is whether pg Destanni Henderson is ready.

Reaction Score

3. Defensive rebounds of any shots other than layups right under the basket, and as many blocks as possible. See point 1-if we can get rebounds (or blocked shots) and push the ball up the course quickly off of them, it will help us a lot on offense. During the stretch against TN when we went up by 20, they were missing a lot of jumpers and longer-distance layups that clanked back enough to let us push the pace. That will be doubly key because once SCAR gets set on defense they are so good.

Hit the nail right on the head

Reaction Score
thanks for the reminder, unfortunately ESPN has done a garbage job at promoting this game. Watching Mnf and not once was it mentioned. I think these are the 2 best teams in the country and will be playing in the final as well. This one will go to SC.

Reaction Score
I expect a close game in the high 50s to low 60s. Both of these offenses have prolonged offensive stalls in a game. I would not play Brink at Center ...at least not all game or she won't be in long. I'd play a zone if I'm Stanford for periods at a time or a box and 1 to put pressure on SC at the PG position. Even if Henny returns...she won't be 100% and Amihere at PG has to be exposed against a top 5 team. Boston is going to get her points. Stanford only wins if they can make Cooke a perimeter shooter and keep SC off the O boards. And no offense to Beale, but when she's in the game...I can't figure out why teams don't sag off and just leave her open. This is a home game for SC...so they win 65-59. Iriafen had a nice game against TN. Can she contribute here?

Reaction Score
I expect a close game in the high 50s to low 60s. Both of these offenses have prolonged offensive stalls in a game. I would not play Brink at Center ...at least not all game or she won't be in long. I'd play a zone if I'm Stanford for periods at a time or a box and 1 to put pressure on SC at the PG position. Even if Henny returns...she won't be 100% and Amihere at PG has to be exposed against a top 5 team. Boston is going to get her points. Stanford only wins if they can make Cooke a perimeter shooter and keep SC off the O boards. And no offense to Beale, but when she's in the game...I can't figure out why teams don't sag off and just leave her open. This is a home game for SC...so they win 65-59. Iriafen had a nice game against TN. Can she contribute here?

Henderson is going to play.

My guess is she could have played against Duke, but was held out just to give her extra time to fully heal. Will be watching her carefully though.

I think Stanford might have had the rebounding edge for a decent part of the game last year and more than held its own for the game. That's gonna be the key.

Saxton contributed 0 points and 1 rebound in 30 minutes and couldn't defend Haley Jones at all.

Beal was 2/9 from the floor.

You can perhaps live with that from Beal, but you can't have both. Or anyone playing 30 minutes and contributing 1 rebound.

Reaction Score
Brink blocks shots and fills a lot of defensive space in the paint. I would play her at center of defense every minute she is strong enough to play

Reaction Score
Henderson is going to play.

My guess is she could have played against Duke, but was held out just to give her extra time to fully heal. Will be watching her carefully though.

I think Stanford might have had the rebounding edge for a decent part of the game last year and more than held its own for the game. That's gonna be the key.

Saxton contributed 0 points and 1 rebound in 30 minutes and couldn't defend Haley Jones at all.

Beal was 2/9 from the floor.

You can perhaps live with that from Beal, but you can't have both. Or anyone playing 30 minutes and contributing 1 rebound.
I like Saxton, but she strikes me as having her rhythm/confidence/focus (not sure what to call it) interrupted by the injection of new players. Aaliyah Edwards seems the same way. It's almost as if they don't know how or where to fit in.

Reaction Score
Brink blocks shots and fills a lot of defensive space in the paint. I would play her at center of defense every minute she is strong enough to play
Not me. She can't resist going after every ball and gets in foul trouble. She played less than 10 minutes last game. She's long as heck...she doesn't need to be so aggressive 200% of the time. She's also not that bulky. In a game like this I would at least play Belibi a lil bit and allow Brink to take care of those short corner shots or play as a help and not primary defender on SC bigs. Now...after all my rambling...I would play her as center on the offensive end...just not defense all of the game. Also presents a different look to the SC offense and potentially matchup confusion in transition defense.

Reaction Score
Whoever plays the best defense & stays out of foul trouble wins this game. This game is a toss up

Reaction Score
SC 70 Stanford 57. They aren't saying it, but SC is out for blood. They knew they let last year's NC get away from them. They got better this year, and Stanford got worse. I'd be surprised if it's still a contest midway through the 3rd.

Reaction Score
If Haley Jones is playing point I expect to see LA play defense against her at least part of the time.

Reaction Score
Whoever plays the best defense & stays out of foul trouble wins this game. This game is a toss up
Both teams have depth and foul trobles may not hurt as much as it would others

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score

I agree, with #2 being especially important imo. I'd also add: 1) Jones needs to limit her turnovers, as do the Stanford guards generally. I think Wilson is the best option here, but, if I remember correctly, she got burned constantly on defense in last year's tournament game. 2) Lexie Hull has to have a relatively efficient game on the offensive end. That she will take a fair number of shots is (I think) a given, but somewhere around 40% of them have to go in. And 3) Brink can't outrun Boston if she's in foul trouble, so fingers crossed on that.

Reaction Score
I agree, with #2 being especially important imo. I'd also add: 1) Jones needs to limit her turnovers, as do the Stanford guards generally. I think Wilson is the best option here, but, if I remember correctly, she got burned constantly on defense in last year's tournament game. 2) Lexie Hull has to have a relatively efficient game on the offensive end. That she will take a fair number of shots is (I think) a given, but somewhere around 40% of them have to go in. And 3) Brink can't outrun Boston if she's in foul trouble, so fingers crossed on that.
I'm not sure Brink can outrun a 23 pound lighter Boston this year. Not saying she can't; but Boston's pace is much faster this year and Cardosa has allowed Dawn lireduce Boston's minutes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom