Polish Article Featuring the Makurats | The Boneyard

Polish Article Featuring the Makurats

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Spent 17 days in Poland last year. Now I can understand 3 words. Kielbasa, Pierogy and basketball.
I know a couple more from the steel mills in Pittsburgh that I learned from the crews at Duquesne Works. Most cannot be printed here. Some crews were nearly all Polish. Our bosses in the sixties spoke fluent Polish and Pittsburgh English. But add halupki which is stuffed cabbage. And the one the old men called us kids was "dupa" which is nicely translated as "arse". It was the late sixties so some of the guys called us "dlugie wlosy" (not certain of the spelling} which meant long hair. The Steelers Hall of Fame linebacker Jack Ham had the moniker Dobre Shunka. Kinda like "great ham". Just trying to expand the BY knowledge base. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know a couple more from the steel mills in Pittsburgh that I learned from the crews at Duquesne Works. Most cannot be printed here. Some crews were nearly all Polish. Our bosses in the sixties spoke fluent Polish and Pittsburgh English. But add halupki which is stuffed cabbage. And the one the old men called us kids was "dupa" which is nicely translated as "arse". It was the late sixties so some of the guys called us "dlugie wlosy" (not certain of the spelling} which meant long hair. The Steelers Hall of Fame linebacker Jack Ham had the moniker Dobre Shunka. Kinda like "great ham". Just trying to expand the BY knowledge base. :rolleyes:

Bama:

You're close: Ham is Dobra Szynka (Good Ham).

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Bama:

You're close: Ham is Dobra Szynka (Good Ham).
I looked online and saw that szynka is indeed the Polish word for ham. Not sure where the shunka came from, but if you google Jack Ham you will see it in most stories about him. Guess it might have been a poor translation?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"My predictions as well as the experience of" Biba "with WNBA have been confirmed," says Anna. - I collided with a very athletic basket. I have a lot of hard physical work to do. There is no comparison with Europe. I am the only foreign player yet. " Interesting remark.

Reaction Score
I looked online and saw that szynka is indeed the Polish word for ham. Not sure where the shunka came from, but if you google Jack Ham you will see it in most stories about him. Guess it might have been a poor translation?

Shunka is how Szynka sounds in English.

I mean that when speaking Polish, when you say Szynka it sounds like the Shunka does in English.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Shunka is how Szynka sounds in English.

I mean that when speaking Polish, when you say Szynka it sounds like the Shunka does in English.
Thanks for the tip. :)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I, for one, am very interested in seeing her play. Her upside is one in which we could have a great year. By having played against pros and significantly bigger players, she will not be intimidated by the speed nor physicality of WCBB like many of the other freshman. The longer season will not be a shock to her either. Will she play strong enough defense to allow Geno to give her minutes is really my only question.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I, for one, am very interested in seeing her play. Her upside is one in which we could have a great year. By having played against pros and significantly bigger players, she will not be intimidated by the speed nor physicality of WCBB like many of the other freshman. The longer season will not be a shock to her either. Will she play strong enough defense to allow Geno to give her minutes is really my only question.

Could say the defense question about any freshman and maybe it is based on Geno's joke earlier this summer, which he retreaded from a quip about Sveta. Or maybe it is based on this free grazing remark from Dan Connolly?

"The highlights were almost completely offense-focused, so Makurat’s defense is still an unknown quantity. However, she does show a willingness to fight for rebounds when she ends up on the low block.

The biggest question mark with Makurat is her athleticism. She isn’t slow and has enough burst to beat defenders but she won’t to blow anyone away like Dangerfield can.

Can Makurat defend faster players and can she get past defenders that might have the upper hand on quickness? That remains to be seen."

She's 6+, is very strong, and a very nifty ball handler. My bigger question is do we have a back line that has her back. Won't blow anyone away like Dangerfield can. Talk about straining to have something to say! She'll be an impact player and fast.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I'm fascinated by the whole dynamic. Not saying she's equivalent in talent or impact but it reminds me of Svet. Sort of late in the game out of the blue here comes this girl from eastern Europe. A massive personal cultural change, a massive basketball culture change but here's a kid with the moxie to take it on. A player with noted offensive skills but questionable pedegree on defense. Unlike Svet, she's from a basketball savvy family that now has the task of trying to follow her from well beyond the other side of the big pond.

It will be interesting to watch the story unfold on and off the court.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Could say the defense question about any freshman and maybe it is based on Geno's joke earlier this summer, which he retreaded from a quip about Sveta. Or maybe it is based on this free grazing remark from Dan Connolly?

"The highlights were almost completely offense-focused, so Makurat’s defense is still an unknown quantity. However, she does show a willingness to fight for rebounds when she ends up on the low block.

The biggest question mark with Makurat is her athleticism. She isn’t slow and has enough burst to beat defenders but she won’t to blow anyone away like Dangerfield can.

Can Makurat defend faster players and can she get past defenders that might have the upper hand on quickness? That remains to be seen."

She's 6+, is very strong, and a very nifty ball handler. My bigger question is do we have a back line that has her back. Won't blow anyone away like Dangerfield can. Talk about straining to have something to say! She'll be an impact player and fast.
My minor retort to those including my esteemed colleague here, is KML was not fleet of foot by any stretch of the imagination on defense and she did an ok job so if Anna’s willing to fight for rebounds that’s a good sign of desire to me.

Reaction Score
"My predictions as well as the experience of" Biba "with WNBA have been confirmed," says Anna. - I collided with a very athletic basket. I have a lot of hard physical work to do. There is no comparison with Europe. I am the only foreign player yet. " Interesting remark.
Implication? Define meaning of YET? It either means another is coming this year or next--I'm jumping towards next. But hoping for this year (a big).

Reaction Score
My minor retort to those including my esteemed colleague here, is KML was not fleet of foot by any stretch of the imagination on defense and she did an ok job so if Anna’s willing to fight for rebounds that’s a good sign of desire to me.
Geno and others complained KML (I'm prone to call her MLK) Was a shooter as a frosh/Soph started playing BASKETBALL as a Jr pretty good as a Senior. But even with some weight loss she was never going to match any guards.
Gut feeling---Ania will out maneuver most guards. It isn't all body speed some is mental speed and intellect, which I think she has. Moriah had both--she was the openings and took them, saw the opening close up and went around it. Mental speed. Moriah is my model of a great guard. Anyone that comes close has to be superb, Danger come close, hope Ania does too.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
I used to visit family over in Duquesne and spent lots of time going to Kennywood. The Picking Patch was by the Thunderbolt. Greatest amusement park ever.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Implication? Define meaning of YET? It either means another is coming this year or next--I'm jumping towards next. But hoping for this year (a big).

I read this two ways:

1) It’s a translation issue because Evelyn was there, too.
2) She was alluding to Nika coming in 2020.

Reaction Score
Youngest sister Agata just suited up for Poland's U16 team:

She was the second youngest player there, but had a couple solid efforts. Unfortunately they got relegated to Division B because Denmark, which was awful for five straight games, suddenly played well enough when it counted to get two wins to survive. Agata is young enough that she can help them win a medal in Division B next summer and get the chance to get redemption at this level in two years.

Young players were the story of the tournament as the youngest, Juste Jocyte of Lithuania, was absolutely sensational and could be one to watch next year at the U17 World Championship when she will only be 14.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno and others complained KML (I'm prone to call her MLK) Was a shooter as a frosh/Soph started playing BASKETBALL as a Jr pretty good as a Senior. But even with some weight loss she was never going to match any guards.
Gut feeling---Ania will out maneuver most guards. It isn't all body speed some is mental speed and intellect, which I think she has. Moriah had both--she was the openings and took them, saw the opening close up and went around it. Mental speed. Moriah is my model of a great guard. Anyone that comes close has to be superb, Danger come close, hope Ania does too.

From the video I've seen Ania moves pretty well, but she is not a speed demon. Don't get me wrong, she gets up and down the court very well and has the dribbling skills to confound a back peddling defender. She's strong now, but professes to need a lot more. When she is worked up people will bounce off her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom