Pokey Chatman Fired | The Boneyard

Pokey Chatman Fired

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Probably should not have waited until the end of the year to unleash Big T. Lots of potential talent for whoever inherits this roster. They're finally recovering from the Catchings years where she always kept them good enough to never get a high draft pick but then the team tanked once she left.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Wait, did she have an affair with a player and ruin this team too? :rolleyes:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Talk about a “spin” article! Somewhere between Catching’s view and Kleen’s Spin on Chapman lies the truth. Pokey isn’t as prescient as the writer implies and Catchjng’s isn’t as observant and intuitive as she thinks.
Too bad, with Pokey’s being banned from coaching WCBB I wonder where she ends up....

Reaction Score
Dang, I thought Indiana made real progress this year. Last year they were terrible, but they played better this year.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

Half of the panel of Swish Appeal prognosticators had Pokey winning coach of the year (before the season). I read the interview with Catch, and I still think Pokey got a raw deal. They won almost twice as many games as last year. She was definitely not perfect, but the strides they made were quite impressive, at least to me.

Reaction Score
She definitely improved this season, but that’s after a couple years of being almost a guaranteed win. She said she loves player development, but it sure seems like her players lack that at every level she’s coached at. Fowles seems like she developed more in that first half season with Minnesota than through her entire time with the Sky while Pokey was the coach.

Reaction Score
IMO Chatman was fired because she wasn't Catchings' hire in the first place and Catchings wants her own woman/man in that position. This is a move that is as old as professional sports. It remains to be seen if this was a smart decision or not.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Probably should not have waited until the end of the year to unleash Big T. Lots of potential talent for whoever inherits this roster. They're finally recovering from the Catchings years where she always kept them good enough to never get a high draft pick but then the team tanked once she left.
Detailed article explaining why Chatman was fired.
Why Pokey Chatman Was Fired As Coach And General Manager Of WNBA’s Indiana Fever
Tamika Catchings basically whacked her and maybe a bit prematurely since they won 4 of last 6 after finally getting Teiera into the starting lineup.
I'm not defending Pokey or the decision to fire her but this notion of unleashing or putting McCowan in the starting lineup is pure bull. McCowan got her first start on June 25. By July 31 McCowan had started 7 games for the Fever-ALL FEVER LOSES! Don't believe the hype of the better play by McCowan or the Fever at the end of the season because by then the Fever had been eliminated from playoff contention= meaningless games.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I'm not defending Pokey or the decision to fire her but this notion of unleashing or putting McCowan in the starting lineup is pure bull. McCowan got her first start on June 25. By July 31 McCowan had started 7 games for the Fever-ALL FEVER LOSES! Don't believe the hype of the better play by McCowan or the Fever at the end of the season because by then the Fever had been eliminated from playoff contention= meaningless games.

The opposing teams were primarily playoff teams battling for positioning so they were definitely not meaningless, but please, continue on with your anti-McCowan tirades.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The opposing teams were primarily playoff teams battling for positioning so they were definitely not meaningless, but please, continue on with your anti-McCowan tirades.
WILCO

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom