OT: - Pokemon Cards/Pokemon 25th Anniversary | The Boneyard

OT: Pokemon Cards/Pokemon 25th Anniversary

Reaction Score
It's the 25th Anniversary of Pokemon and the market has never been more active. Vintage Pokemon cards are the comic books and baseball cards of the millennial generation.

Any other millennials here get back into collecting during covid? Has anyone stuck with it through the years and made a killing? Anyone with kids who left the house a decade ago and have cards sitting around their house in a closet or attic somewhere and want to get rid of them? (I'll buy them).

Reaction Score
I know where my collection of like 3 first edition Zaptos (and others) are, that’s for sure. Been in sleeves for 20ish years now.

Thanks for making me aware, I’m gonna look now

Reaction Score
I know where my collection of like 3 first edition Zaptos (and others) are, that’s for sure. Been in sleeves for 20ish years now.

Thanks for making me aware, I’m gonna look now
Make sure you look out for 1st edition base set cards and google what shadowless cards mean. Some of them are worth thousands dependent upon condition.

If you have a Charizard make sure you penny sleeve and top load it ASAP and then research how to grade it or PM me on how to do it.

Reaction Score
I used to have a charlizard or w/e it was called hologram. Might still be around somewhere, but idk. This was in the late 90’s I think. Got it graded, but it was only a GM6 because my cousins dog stepped on it lol.

Reaction Score
I used to have a charlizard or w/e it was called hologram. Might still be around somewhere, but idk. This was in the late 90’s I think. Got it graded, but it was only a GM6 because my cousins dog stepped on it lol.
A first edition 6 is worth about $5000 so I'd find it.

Reaction Score
A first edition 6 is worth a out $5000 so I'd find it.
Sheesh. I’ll look around, but wouldn’t be surprised if it’s been lost since then unfortunately.

Reaction Score
Sheesh. I’ll look around, but wouldn’t be surprised if it’s been lost since then unfortunately.
If it wasnt a first edition you won't have to kick yourself that hard.

1st edition: $5,000
Shadowless (2nd print run): $800
Unlimited base set: $200

Reaction Score
Aghhh,

So mad for never getting into Pokémon.
heavy into MTG around that time too. I played from Revised-Urza’s block.
suscribed to inquest and scribe. Lived at dragon’s lair and Omni when both were in elmwood.
never got into Pokémon because it was popular. Cool/preppy kids were getting into my realm and I was pissed. Kinda like when nirvana and grunge got popular.

Love how Pokémon is the all the rage, but what about star wars the trading card game?

I had a real good Hoth deck.

Reaction Score
Took my cards to a shop to see what they were worth but unfortunately as a kid I played with them too much for them to be worth much these days figured I just keep them for the memories.

Reaction Score
My parents threw away my cards I had as a kid.
Yeah my really valuable ones are all gone. We think they were lost in a move. I do have several hundred left that are worth a few bucks a piece.

Reaction Score
My oldest grandson’s were in to Pokémon in the 1990’s they still have many of their cards, I remember taking them to the movie which to this day made zero sense.
My now 13 year got interested a few years ago when it became popular again. He wanted this Special gift for $50 On Amazon for Christmas one year.
I asummed it was a set with a bunch of different cards or games. . I was blown away when it was just a single card.
What a scam.
Pokémon Go was kind of fun .

Reaction Score
What a scam.

That $50 card is probably $1000 now. I guess you're not familiar with collectibles if you think it's a "scam"

next you're going to tell me a silver dollar should only be worth a dollar ;)

Reaction Score
Had a first edition holo Blastoise (my starter of choice) among others, but parents gave my cards to a neighbor when I was in college.

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
I got into MTG during 4th and through Urza's Saga (dabbled). Unbenkownst to me my brother sold off the collection 2019/2020 for a considerable sum. Terrible timing when the reserved list moon shotted in mid '20.

I got back in hard in June of this year. The game has evolved into an exciting level of sophistication, and though I don't love Hasbro savagely milking the game for all it's worth...I think it's the best modern game ever created.

The thing MTG has going for it is that it serves so many motivations:

1) the game itself
2) the collectibility / speculation
3) the artwork
4) both a social element (the game) and the personal creativity element of deck building and card breaking combos.

I think that the game could stand to benefit if they were to ban the top 5 or so meta game edh staples. But all in all, it's healthier than ever on a player participation level and MTG Arena and MTG online are only going to ramp those numbers.

MTG Arena is the download you want for those that want to learn the game.

Attachments

• 4183.jpg
    4183.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 81
Reaction Score
I got into MTG during 4th and through Urza's Saga (dabbled). Unbenkownst to me my brother sold off the collection 2019/2020 for a considerable sum. Terrible timing when the reserved list moon shotted in mid '20.

I got back in hard in June of this year. The game has evolved into an exciting level of sophistication, and though I don't love Hasbro savagely milking the game for all it's worth...I think it's the best modern game ever created.

1) the game itself
3) the artwork
4) both a social element (the game) and the personal creativity element of deck building and card breaking combos.

I think that the game could stand to benefit if they were to ban the top 5 or so meta game edh staples. But all in all, it's healthier than ever on a player participation level and MTG Arena and MTG online are only going to ramp those numbers.

This is a really interesting listen about how MTG survived to thrive.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Took my cards to a shop to see what they were worth but unfortunately as a kid I played with them too much for them to be worth much these days figured I just keep them for the memories.

If you had played with somethng else as a kid, you'd have had a more satisfying youth and have something of value today.

Reaction Score

1) the game itself
3) the artwork

LOTD. Great card.
Started around Revised-4th base set, but for expansions around The Dark / Fallen Empires.
I still remember my 1st rare was a revised birds of paradise. Got it @ the eye opener when it was next to newington theatre.

heavy into ice age / alliances.
homelands and fallen empires were garbage. 2.50 for a FE pack (Only 8 cards, right), but I could maybe still find a dark pack. I might have been able to buy legends/Antiquities. But it was rare and they were expensive. Like 15 if I remember. WH center store had em. I was in middle school so...

mirage/visions/tempest were decent.
Never really got into weatherlight/exodus/stronghold
Re-dabbled like gutter during urza’s block, but high school and Pokémon started and bailed.

I thought the Pokémon foils were cheesy and then mtg introduced. I may have bought one pack and I remember wanting to make a deck I saw in scyre/inquest, but never did. Watched the show, played blue and red on game boy, but just couldn’t make the jump to the ccg

Recently got a couple of boxes of mtg theros. Ahh, to have a job and your own $$$. Played the xbox games, but haven’t dabbled in arena at all.

im going down memory lane here

VCE

Reaction Score
My 13 yo nephew has gotten really into Pokémon in the past year. Between the cards and manga, it makes Xmas and bday presents a breeze.

I’m a child of the 80s, so of course I have 20,000 mostly worthless baseball cards sitting in a closet in my parent’s house...I think

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom