Point Guard Puzzle | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Point Guard Puzzle

Reaction Score
What do you think? Will Auriemma revert back to earlier times and start Bueckers right away? Or will he go with his more recent tendency to bring a highly regarded point guard recruit off the bench?
No attack @diggerfoot just what I think. :)
The Geno tendencies you refer to are actually are not his tendency at all. Geno has always put his best players on the floor at all times. This unless upset and trying to prove a point. He is simply progressing with the times and the fact the women's game now has a much larger talent pool. So different than 1992.
A lot of guard talent to choose from, I am sure Geno will give the job to the one that earns it as usual.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It has some to do with the FR, but also who is on the team when the FR comes in. Hartley did start 34 games as a FR. You had Doty who was injured and Dixon, who was better coming off the bench.

Jefferson came in with 5th year Sr Doty and Hartley on the team.

Dangerfield did start 6 games but came in with SR Chong on the team. (and Nurse as a Jr who could run things too)

Williams came in with Rizzotti as a SR, she took over as a Jr (her 2nd year)

Sue Bird came in with Glenney as a So and really the only PG. Duran, Abrlic and Ralph were more 2 guards. And Bird and Walters both ended up injured.

DT came in with Bird as PG (Jr). Then she and Conlon split duties their Jr/Sr years.

Montgomery came in with Swanier as a So. And Renee was just much better.

Bueckers will come in next year with Westbrook (??) and possibly Makurat who could run the point. So I'd say she has a chance to start. She's coming in without an established prior PG. Bueckers, I believe, could also play the 2. Muhl is a PG through and through. It will be interesting to see what happens.
Sorry. Day one Paige ain't starting.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I think what many here on the BY seem to forget is that the way a player defends plays a "part" in their PT. Correct?
I think that is why some may struggle on offense as underclassmen, playing quality D is harder than it ever was in HS and why certain freshmen may not be starters from the gitgo.

Reaction Score
I Think all or most of the incoming Frosh get early playing time if they produce in practice. I would not be surprised if the first one to start will be Edwards giving much needed size and inside play. Great guards tho spread time around. Ultimately (maybe not next year - Nika point, Paige shooting, Walker and Edwards Forwards, and Liz center. Mir and Ania forward rotation, Williams and Evina for either guard positions, and Aubrey for Liz. If Piath progresses as expected Aubrey moves to forward rotation. At least early on until positions become obvious I expect rotations instead of set starters. Evina is being put farther behind because of her injury much more than eligibility.

Reaction Score
Well, it's very true that Meg is not a 4 and that has been a very understated but significant problem this year. She is a natural 3 or even a 2 and was forced to play out of position. A strong 4 will actually make Liv better as well. I also see Aubrey not really highlighted in the above conversation and she should be. We also don't know what Evina's recovery will be like either. We do know that she was #2 in her HS class behind Meg and that she averaged 14 and 9 (assists) as a sophomore in the SEC. Aubrey will be either 5th or 6th man because she brings another dimension to the team no one else can and will improve greatly over the summer with the best training available that I am sure her father will arrange. We know it is MW, CW and ONO for sure. So 2 positions are up for grabs. One has to be the point and there are 4 candidates if you include Anna and Nika with Evina and Paige. I would not be surprised to see AG start as the 4 and be substituted for by one or both of the freshmen bigs. As for the point, my guess is Evina to begin with barring residuals from her surgeries with Paige in back of her and Nika playing there as well and at times moving Paige to the 2. Anna goes in for CW, Evina or even MW at times as well. It's an embarrassment of riches but I think as said above whoever is playing the best in practice plays in the games. We also have to remember that all the new players have to learn the system and change old habits both on offense and defense. Still a lot of ball left this year though.

Reaction Score
Well, it's very true that Meg is not a 4 and that has been a very understated but significant problem this year. She is a natural 3 or even a 2 and was forced to play out of position. A strong 4 will actually make Liv better as well. I also see Aubrey not really highlighted in the above conversation and she should be. We also don't know what Evina's recovery will be like either. We do know that she was #2 in her HS class behind Meg and that she averaged 14 and 9 (assists) as a sophomore in the SEC. Aubrey will be either 5th or 6th man because she brings another dimension to the team no one else can and will improve greatly over the summer with the best training available that I am sure her father will arrange. We know it is MW, CW and ONO for sure. So 2 positions are up for grabs. One has to be the point and there are 4 candidates if you include Anna and Nika with Evina and Paige. I would not be surprised to see AG start as the 4 and be substituted for by one or both of the freshmen bigs. As for the point, my guess is Evina to begin with barring residuals from her surgeries with Paige in back of her and Nika playing there as well and at times moving Paige to the 2. Anna goes in for CW, Evina or even MW at times as well. It's an embarrassment of riches but I think as said above whoever is playing the best in practice plays in the games. We also have to remember that all the new players have to learn the system and change old habits both on offense and defense. Still a lot of ball left this year though.
Why Is Aubrey going to be so much better "with the best training available that her father will arrange" when he could have been and should have been arranging that best training previously, if it were such a guaranteed answer, right??? Why would he wait for the summer between her freshman and sophomore year of college but not before? Is this a special time? She is a wonderful athlete and a real hustler but that doesn't change the fact that she's got very few offensive skills at all. She's struggled with layups, has shown no outside shots and seems out of sorts offensively, in general. Her instincts don't seem to be very good in terms of putting the ball in the hoop and most of her points seemingly have been on steals, not in any kind of half court set. Can she magically gain some offensive abilities that she so far has not???? I'm not so very sure about that at all!

Reaction Score
Why Is Aubrey going to be so much better "with the best training available that her father will arrange" when he could have been and should have been arranging that best training previously, if it were such a guaranteed answer, right??? Why would he wait for the summer between her freshman and sophomore year of college but not before? Is this a special time? She is a wonderful athlete and a real hustler but that doesn't change the fact that she's got very few offensive skills at all. She's struggled with layups, has shown no outside shots and seems out of sorts offensively, in general. Her instincts don't seem to be very good in terms of putting the ball in the hoop and most of her points seemingly have been on steals, not in any kind of half court set. Can she magically gain some offensive abilities that she so far has not???? I'm not so very sure about that at all!
Well said. Her Dad was to busy with NBA to teach her to shot with basic form. She reminds of Ashley Battle with no shot but much better jumper with good defense with players her size. Again against Front Line of South Carolina, Baylor and Oregon she might get rebound some but it was blocked before she will try to shot and thru ball way after realizingthey would block every time. She will be star in the East against Providence, St.Johns, Georgetown, Seton Hall but not top teams with no 15 ft shot or three point shot or can not shot foul shots.

Reaction Score
Aubrey has no handle. She shoots airballs from 6'. She doesn't know the offense and it's Feb. 19th. I see her being 8 or 9 next year if she doesn't improve.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Sorry. Day one Paige ain't starting.
No need to be sorry. I didn't say she was starting. However comma, there will be no returning PG next year. I think a lot of people are hoping Westbrook can step in there, but she's gonna be coming off an injury and not played in a year (and a half really) and had never actually run UCONN's offense. Makurat, maybe can play the point? But she's probably more of a 2/1 than a pure 1 (might even be more of a pure 2 or a 2/3). And then there's Muhl, another FR.

So, the PG position is kinda open for auditions next year. Bueckers probably has as decent a chance as any of them of starting.

Personally, I think if Westbrook is good to go, it's hers. But we'll see.

Reaction Score
Well, I guess we will just have to wait and see about Aubrey and revisit these posts. She is very young and still growing and developing and usually the summer from freshman to sophomore year is an important time in that development for college players. I think you are all incorrect about her. She will be a star. Look at the difference in Meg from sophomore to junior year. It was no accident. It was her hard work over the summer by training, nutrition and simply working on her game that has made her into the likely AAC player of the year or at least the runner up and a probable All American even if second or third team. There are legions of players, some of the best ever, who developed a shot after the other skills had arrived. John Wall couldn't even shoot anything other than a lay up when he entered the NBA. Do you think Giannis had a good shot when he entered the NBA? He is still developing his. What about Lebron when he entered as a "freshman"? What about Gabby? Would you take her back on our team right now even with a less than perfect shot? There is an old expression "Never overlook a child". In many respects AG is one and obviously can do certain offensive things because Geno complains she is only doing them in practice and not in the games. There is a maturity issue here as well. I would also remind you that the only one who has stepped up consistently against the top teams has been Crystal, the senior. I see AG starting or 6th man next year. She is changing games already as a freshman. She is second on the team in steals in less than half the minutes of the starters. If you extrapolate her minutes out, she is averaging a double -double in points and boards. Maybe I'm wrong about her but when Geno says a player has "gifts that other players don't have" I take notice. I also think a strong basketball support system in her family will help her immensely. over the summer. Once again, we shouldn't be hypercritical of a player because she doesn't have attributes or skills yet that we need right now. Stay tuned.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well said. Her Dad was to busy with NBA to teach her to shot with basic form. She reminds of Ashley Battle with no shot but much better jumper with good defense with players her size. Again against Front Line of South Carolina, Baylor and Oregon she might get rebound some but it was blocked before she will try to shot and thru ball way after realizingthey would block every time. She will be star in the East against Providence, St.Johns, Georgetown, Seton Hall but not top teams with no 15 ft shot or three point shot or can not shot foul shots.
Aubrey has no handle. She shoots airballs from 6'. She doesn't know the offense and it's Feb. 19th. I see her being 8 or 9 next year if she doesn't improve.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. What is this jump on Aubrey day?

Griffin's got a lot going for her. Like most FR she's had some struggles. There is a lot of potential there. Give her some time, she'll come good.

And yes Buzzy, the off season between the FR and SO years IS a special time. The best thing about FR is they become SO. They've lived through that FR year and they now have a better (real) understanding of what the UCONN program is about. We've always seen some of the biggest jumps between the FR and SO years. So yeah, it is pretty special. Will it be special for Griffin? Remains to be seen, but I have hope.

Reaction Score
All smart comments, not sure it makes any sense to predict what Geno is going to do.
Kyla Irwin goes from starter to not getting off the bench.
Geno is going to figure out who is producing the most at the time, and that's where the minutes will go, regardless of "starter", "sub" HS #1 or not.....

Reaction Score
CW is a shooting guard that isn't "shooting" and if something doesn't change soon, she might be looking for work.
CW is working very hard and playing tough defense and rebounding well. She is struggling in some games because she has no confidence in her mid range jumper. That shot is available when the elbow player screens and she comes around that jumper is open. The drive off of that elbow screen has been shut down by the good teams with superior bigs. If she starts hitting that shot and some 3 pointers her drives will become more open. She also has to pass the ball if her drives are blocked by helps side defense. A big cutting down the middle when she drives would most likely open an option for her. I won't give up on CW she is a winner.

Reaction Score
As soon as Rizzotti put on a Husky uniform in the fall of 1992 she became a force. Even as a freshmen she was taking charge of the team, getting in the faces of those who held seniority over her when they needed to play or practice better...

What is the one word that Geno uses most when he talks about who's going to play and how much? Based on what I've heard over the years that word is "trust". It all comes down to how much he trusts a player to play up to his expectations for the role he assigns to them more than their class. He knows freshmen will struggle but if they can play and he trusts them to play as he expects then they will start. In a year when he has a couple of players who can run the point but no true PG, Paige will start day one regardless of the fact that she is a freshman.

I expect Paige to be some combination of Jen and Sue reincarnate.

Reaction Score
Remember, you can't teach Athleticism. You can teach/refine a person's shot. Aubrey Griffin is a carbon copy of Gabby Williams career at UCONN, and she may end up being even better. [Remember Gabby's freshman year at UCONN]. I predict Aubrey will continue to be the 1st off the bench, if not starting at the 4, next season.

Reaction Score
Remember, you can't teach Athleticism. You can teach/refine a person's shot. Aubrey Griffin is a carbon copy of Gabby Williams career at UCONN, and she may end up being even better. [Remember Gabby's freshman year at UCONN]. I predict Aubrey will continue to be the 1st off the bench, if not starting at the 4, next season.
I couldn't agree with you more GriffBiff! She is a carbon copy of Gabby except with more height, longer arms, more offense at this point and more experience playing. Remember Gabby lost a year playing in high school due to an ACL. She will certainly get stronger and bigger as she matures and has a devastatingly quick first step off of a drive move. You are absolutely correct about teaching a shot. Her father says she is the best athlete in the family. Her brother is #6 out of next year's class and committed to Duke and her father played for the Celtics. I'm sorry we all can't see it but I think that is because we are all so focused on our shortcomings this year.I stand by my All American prediction. Let's see if she takes another step forward tonight.

Reaction Score
As soon as Rizzotti put on a Husky uniform in the fall of 1992 she became a force. Even as a freshmen she was taking charge of the team, getting in the faces of those who held seniority over her when they needed to play or practice better. She in fact played more minutes as a freshmen than her junior year when she led UConn to its first championship. I do not know happened with point guards before Rizzotti but, for a decade after her, the point guard continued to be the most likely position where Auriemma was prone to start promising players as soon as they got on campus. Rita Williams was next, though admittedly she spent a year at a community college first for academic reasons. Then came Bird, who also started when she first arrived. Some of that may be due to an injury to Walters, but she also was a freshmen. Then came Montgomery starting as a freshmen.....

Then came the back-to-back perfect seasons and things changed. No point guards have started as a freshmen since, even though Hartley, Jefferson and Dangerfield were generally more highly regarded coming out of high school than their predecessors. I don't think that is coincidence. Both the 01-02 and back-to-back seasons led to changes in coaching philosophies from what I could observe. However, now we have our most highly regarded point guard of all time coming into the program. Does Auriemma go back to his old ways? Or does he stick with more recent trend of not starting freshmen point guards?

I am not going to comment on changes in coaching philosophies, but my vote is that Bueckers will be a throw back to the earlier days of starting the point guard of the future right away. It goes beyond talent in my view. We have had plenty of talent come in. Bueckers appears to possess innate leadership qualities that equips her for being told "if anything goes wrong it's your fault."

What do you think? Will Auriemma revert back to earlier times and start Bueckers right away? Or will he go with his more recent tendency to bring a highly regarded point guard recruit off the bench?
The answer is going to seem predictable; She will start as soon as coach thinks she knows the offense well enough. If that is game one, so be it. Kia Nurse, though not a point guard, started from game one. It can definitely happen.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
No need to be sorry. I didn't say she was starting. However comma, there will be no returning PG next year. I think a lot of people are hoping Westbrook can step in there, but she's gonna be coming off an injury and not played in a year (and a half really) and had never actually run UCONN's offense. Makurat, maybe can play the point? But she's probably more of a 2/1 than a pure 1 (might even be more of a pure 2 or a 2/3). And then there's Muhl, another FR.

So, the PG position is kinda open for auditions next year. Bueckers probably has as decent a chance as any of them of starting.

Personally, I think if Westbrook is good to go, it's hers. But we'll see.

As you point out there is a surfeit of PG possibilities and Paige may not pass the defensive skills test to start her freshman year, but she hasn't been hired to ride the pine either. Evina led Tenn with 5.3 assists per game in her sophomore year BUT Tenn 6 or more years into HW's reign was a disjointed disaster on the offensive end of the ball and Evina lobbed more than a few passes into the stands. She's better used elsewhere imo. Whoever starts other than Paige is just an acting PG.

Reaction Score
Aubrey Griffin lost her entire Junior Season in HS due to an ACL injury, as well as a significant chunk of her Senior Season due to a High Ankle Sprain. All of this, and she still dominated in her HS's run to a State Championship. Aubrey is simply now having to adjust to the UCONN ways of playing basketball. Remember, just like Anna Makurat, they are Freshman, and still learning from Geno. We have a very bright future with these 2 fine young players in Aubrey and Anna.

I couldn't agree with you more GriffBiff! She is a carbon copy of Gabby except with more height, longer arms, more offense at this point and more experience playing. Remember Gabby lost a year playing in high school due to an ACL. She will certainly get stronger and bigger as she matures and has a devastatingly quick first step off of a drive move. You are absolutely correct about teaching a shot. Her father says she is the best athlete in the family. Her brother is #6 out of next year's class and committed to Duke and her father played for the Celtics. I'm sorry we all can't see it but I think that is because we are all so focused on our shortcomings this year.I stand by my All American prediction. Let's see if she takes another step forward tonight.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I dunno. There may be a transition period, or there may not be. But the puzzle is easy to solve when the pieces just fit!

point_puzzle.jpg

Reaction Score

you should read the recent statement from Geno about AG................to briefly paraphrase, she does all sorts of good things offensively in practice but rarely does the same things in games..................she's got plenty of offensive skills......................it's all about confidence

Reaction Score
As Yogi said (or close) "90% of the game is mental and the rest is in your head". IMO the hardest adjustment from HS to college for most HSAA's is going from knowing with certainty that you are the best player on the court to knowing that you aren't. Take it from a lifetime golfer, contests are often won and lost before the start. If you are confident of beating your opponent you don't worry, you just play. But if you doubt yourself you will be tight and play like it. UConn has been on the good side of that most years. This year, with 4 of their 6 man rotation being underclassmen there is more doubt than confidence on the court. It's most obvious when they play elite teams. As others have said the only player who plays well in those games is the senior.

Griffin is an athletic freak, much like Gabby, and without having watched her in HS I'd guess she didn't need technique to dominate. Her kind of athleticism can't be taught. Skills can. Taking her practice attitude into a game will happen, maybe not this season but nevertheless. Her asset to UConn right now is that her steals and offensive boards create extra possessions for UConn, much as Gabby did. She may not score or assist but she is responsible for those extra opportunities. As she improves her individual and team skills she can develop into something really really special.

As for Bueckers' defense, her on ball skills need work but her court awareness reminds me of Gabby Williams. She keeps one eye on her man and one eye on the ball and is a disruptive force on defense. She has that long wingspan that makes it look like she is playing with a yo-yo instead of the ball and it also leads to lots of deflected passes on defense. I doubt that she will get many if any tough defensive assignments next season.

The future for UConn is a lot brighter than some think. The conductor is going to have several virtuosos his band next year.

Reaction Score
As Yogi said (or close) "90% of the game is mental and the rest is in your head". IMO the hardest adjustment from HS to college for most HSAA's is going from knowing with certainty that you are the best player on the court to knowing that you aren't. Take it from a lifetime golfer, contests are often won and lost before the start. If you are confident of beating your opponent you don't worry, you just play. But if you doubt yourself you will be tight and play like it. UConn has been on the good side of that most years. This year, with 4 of their 6 man rotation being underclassmen there is more doubt than confidence on the court. It's most obvious when they play elite teams. As others have said the only player who plays well in those games is the senior.

Griffin is an athletic freak, much like Gabby, and without having watched her in HS I'd guess she didn't need technique to dominate. Her kind of athleticism can't be taught. Skills can. Taking her practice attitude into a game will happen, maybe not this season but nevertheless. Her asset to UConn right now is that her steals and offensive boards create extra possessions for UConn, much as Gabby did. She may not score or assist but she is responsible for those extra opportunities. As she improves her individual and team skills she can develop into something really really special.

As for Bueckers' defense, her on ball skills need work but her court awareness reminds me of Gabby Williams. She keeps one eye on her man and one eye on the ball and is a disruptive force on defense. She has that long wingspan that makes it look like she is playing with a yo-yo instead of the ball and it also leads to lots of deflected passes on defense. I doubt that she will get many if any tough defensive assignments next season.

The future for UConn is a lot brighter than some think. The conductor is going to have several virtuosos his band next year.
I agree. How anyone can think the future is not bright is beyond my comprehension. We return 4 starters if you include Anna plus we return Aubrey. We have Paige and crew coming in and we have Evina for 2 years who was with the team all this year. Evina is being overlooked in several of these posts in different threads. She had 10 games as a sophomore with more than 20 points, in which she scored more than 20 four games in a row, averaged 5 assists and one game went 12-15 from the field. She had the second highest lifetime assist percentage in the history of Tennessee! An important factor for me is we are getting in size and power underneath to help ONO and will have a deep bench for the first time in a while. The game has gotten bigger and stronger and ONO will be much more effective with added size underneath to complement her at times. I play golf also and you are absolutely right. Confidence is key, especially in putting. If you doubt, you are toast. We did doubt ourselves in the Big Games and that is probably why we shot so poorly. I see a lot of confidence in Paige and don't think it will change. She will go through a freshman phase like everyone else and we can't expect her to be Bird/Taurasi/Maya overnight. I think it is reasonable that we expect a lot from Anna, Aubrey and Evina (assuming she is healthy) however, since they have all shown signs of great talent at times.

Reaction Score
The answer is going to seem predictable; She will start as soon as coach thinks she knows the offense well enough. If that is game one, so be it. Kia Nurse, though not a point guard, started from game one. It can definitely happen.

Kia didn’t start from game one. She replaced Chung as a starter after the Stanford loss.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom