Point Guard Puzzle | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Point Guard Puzzle

Reaction Score
Remember, you can't teach Athleticism. You can teach/refine a person's shot. Aubrey Griffin is a carbon copy of Gabby Williams career at UCONN, and she may end up being even better. [Remember Gabby's freshman year at UCONN]. I predict Aubrey will continue to be the 1st off the bench, if not starting at the 4, next season.
I do remember Gabbys freshman year. She could finish in traffic and played tough defense in a new position. Aubrey isn't close to freshmen Gabby skill wise.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
As Yogi said (or close) "90% of the game is mental and the rest is in your head".

"The game is 90% 100% mental"...? That's the famous Yogi quote that pops into my head.

edit--oops, actual quote is "Baseball is 90% mental. The other half is physical."

Reaction Score
Whoa, whoa, whoa. What is this jump on Aubrey day?

Griffin's got a lot going for her. Like most FR she's had some struggles. There is a lot of potential there. Give her some time, she'll come good.

And yes Buzzy, the off season between the FR and SO years IS a special time. The best thing about FR is they become SO. They've lived through that FR year and they now have a better (real) understanding of what the UCONN program is about. We've always seen some of the biggest jumps between the FR and SO years. So yeah, it is pretty special. Will it be special for Griffin? Remains to be seen, but I have hope.
You would think with 2 brothers playing D1 ball and a father who played and coaches in the NBA! She would be alot more skilled than she is now if they worked with her! She did so well in high school with her athleticism that it hid the deficiency of her game.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I do remember Gabbys freshman year. She could finish in traffic and played tough defense in a new position. Aubrey isn't close to freshmen Gabby skill wise.
We have seen Aubrey do both of those things (finish in traffic and play tough defense on the perimeter). I really do not see that much difference (if any) between freshman Gabby and freshman Aubrey, either in their skills or in their productivity and contribution to the team.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Is DT a starter in UConn 2000-2001 year?
If DT is a starter in her freshman year why not Paige?
DT did not start immediately in her freshmen year. She played in 33 of 35 games, staring 14 of those 33.

As @oldude stated, I concur that at some point Paige will be a starter. Heck, even Kia Nurse didn't start until game 4 of her freshmen year so it is rare that any guard comes in and starts at the point for UConn in this established program (as opposed to when Jen arrived).

I would also avoid the overhype of Nika as we have seen with Anna, it takes time to adjust and I think Anna was/is further along as a player than Nika is. I do think Nika is a ball mover and will greatly help the team but she also will have to show she can handle the defensive assignments required. :)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
We have seen Aubrey do both of those things (finish in traffic and play tough defense on the perimeter). I really do not see that much difference (if any) between freshman Gabby and freshman Aubrey, either in their skills or in their productivity and contribution to the team.
So, I get what both @cbraarj and JoePgh are saying and agree with both. Gabby could finish slightly better than Aubrey and had a positive Assist-Turnover number. Here are the comps from their freshman years:
Name.....Min…..Pts...Reb...Assist..TO...Steals
Gabby.....15.6....8.3....5.7....50........40....46
Aubrey...16.5….5.8....4.8....24........29....31

Very similar stats and initially, Aubrey has had to guard more forwards and posts as a freshman than Gabby did.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
DT did not start immediately in her freshmen year. She played in 33 of 35 games, staring 14 of those 33.

As @oldude stated, I concur that at some point Paige will be a starter. Heck, even Kia Nurse didn't start until game 4 of her freshmen year so it is rare that any guard comes in and starts at the point for UConn in this established program (as opposed to when Jen arrived).

I would also avoid the overhype of Nika as we have seen with Anna, it takes time to adjust and I think Anna was/is further along as a player than Nika is. I do think Nika is a ball mover and will greatly help the team but she also will have to show she can handle the defensive assignments required. :)

Friend I feel pretty positive about Nika's ability to defend. She's a pretty aggressive defender and more than a bit of a ball hawk.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Friend I feel pretty positive about Nika's ability to defend. She's a pretty aggressive defender and more than a bit of a ball hawk.

Still, individual defense is not everything or Coombs would still be here. I do not expect Nika to have issues like Mikayla on the offense (at least as a creative play maker) but it will take time.

Reaction Score
So, I get what both @cbraarj and JoePgh are saying and agree with both. Gabby could finish slightly better than Aubrey and had a positive Assist-Turnover number. Here are the comps from their freshman years:

Very similar stats and initially, Aubrey has had to guard more forwards and posts as a freshman than Gabby did.
Thanks for the info and Aubrey has games to go in order to improve those numbers.

Reaction Score

Gabby was switched to forward her freshman year.
Gabby could dribble the ball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom