Podcasts | The Boneyard

Podcasts

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
As I was in the coffee industry for years, most of my podcast listening (which was usually while on the road) was coffee industry stuff with some business thrown in. Now that I'm a civilian, I'm looking for some other stuff that's interesting and, ideally, informative, useful and apolitical.

I'm currently subscribed to The Daily and Brain Stuff. And IMHO, which may be the best inside look at what baseball players really do and like. The cereal episode is classic.

Can't listen to Rogan. I'm not wild about Bill Burr's Monday Morning show - he's not nearly as funny as he is on his Conan appearances and Nia is going to end up being his Yoko. But I'd love to find some funny stuff.

Looking for a couple more casts to expand my horizons, so whatcha got?

Reaction Score
I mostly listen to NBA podcasts, the best among them being The Lowe Post and Dunc'd On. And history podcasts.

I have listened to hours and hours of Hardcore History but the personality and more so the voice of the host can be grating to some. I am currently in the middle of listening to Revolutions and in particular the chapter on the English civil war which is excellent.

If you have any interest whatsoever in philosophy or social psychology, Very Bad Wizards is entertaining. The hosts have an amazing rapport.

Some long form interview podcasts I enjoy are On Being, EconTalk and Conversations with Tyler. I have taken a break from the last 2 because I am sick of the hosts but the guests are almost always interesting. I will occasionally listen to Waking Up but again, I dislike the host so I only listen depending on the guests. After writing this out, I guess I am really interested in knowing some new podcasts with hosts I can tolerate.

Reaction Score
I listen to the Adam Carolla Show occasionally. I find him very funny and quick witted and he gets some pretty interesting guests. I find a lot to agree with his common sense approach. They put out a ton of content, so there are some misses out there, but definitely more hits.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
A political.

Holding Court with Geno Auriemma
Adimeback
Masters of Scale with Ried Hoffman
How I built this
Revisionist History
The Bill Simmons Podcast

Reaction Score
Netflix' Mindhunter got me into this one. It's informative and really funny:
Last Podcast On The Left

Carolla is good

Others I go for:
Real estate: Bigger Pockets
Golf: No Laying Up, Shackhouse (as awful as Simmons' friend is), Fried Egg
Sports: Pardon My Take, Simmons, Men in Blazers
Personal finance: Motley Fool
Politics: Pod Save America

Reaction Score
NPRs Planet Money is a fun podcast looking at the economics of ordinary things, they are short and perfect for the lunchtime workout.

Malcom Gladwell's Revisionist History is great, but he has only done two short seasons.

For Sports I like Bill Simmon's stuff on the Ringer. I have been really getting into the NBA lately and it is a light overall coverage of the league.

Geno is a great coach and he gets great guests, but his podcasts are unlistenable.

Reaction Score
Radiolab & This American Life are great ones. Slow Burn (about Watergate) & the the 2 Serial seasons are great series. For sports, there are a couple really good 30 for 30s - one about Phil Ivy & another about a boxer who fought from jail. I could go on... I listen to a lot of them.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I like In Our Time from BBC 4. They spend 40 minutes or so on one topic from history, philosophy, arts and the like. The host is great and keeps the conversation moving.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom