Podcasters Phil and Ry discuss Amari DeBerry | The Boneyard

Podcasters Phil and Ry discuss Amari DeBerry

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Phil & Ry discuss Amari DeBerry. Can Amari heal mentally and physically before the season starts? How much impact will DeBerry have on the upcoming season?

Carnac

Reaction Score
Not much new information, and the analysis is cursory at best.
This podcast is approximately 30 days old. I haven't seen anything on Amari since this was released. If you saw this when it was originally released, then it's old news. It's not purported to be new.

Some folks missed it the first time around. Since Amari was not featured in the team's media availability yesterday, I thought I would repost this. As far as being cursory, it is what it is. If you have something better or more recent, please share it with us.

Reaction Score
I watch them from time to time. I appreciate their enthusiasm for UConn, but they seem to know little about UConn women’s basketball.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Can’t argue that they are consummate analysts. When I searched for the latest video interview/ information for Amari, this came up. They offered their limited opinion of her. I was not overly impressed with these two either. Rest assured, I won’t be posting any more of their podcasts. A true analyst should know at least as much as the viewer about the subject or more.

Reaction Score
These guys have a show and are talking about UCONN Basketball yet do not know if the European Trip is preseason or included in the regular season????? Something is rotten in the state of Denmark... When I heard that question asked I was just shocked......

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I have a problem with us thinking that Amari's back problem could be the reason why she didn't seem to have a sophomore jump last season, especially if that back injury required post season surgery. If her back had been injured during the season in such a manner that required surgery, why wasn't she shut down?
I have had two back surgeries, both arthroscopic. One was due to a herniated disc and one that was due to me breaking my back, 16 years ago yesterday. In both of my cases, I doubt that I could play basketball. And it would be noticed in the way that I walked...very gingerly.
So hopefully, her injury wasn't as severe as mine but still needed to be repaired surgically.

Reaction Score
I have a problem with us thinking that Amari's back problem could be the reason why she didn't seem to have a sophomore jump last season, especially if that back injury required post season surgery. If her back had been injured during the season in such a manner that required surgery, why wasn't she shut down?
I have had two back surgeries, both arthroscopic. One was due to a herniated disc and one that was due to me breaking my back, 16 years ago yesterday. In both of my cases, I doubt that I could play basketball. And it would be noticed in the way that I walked...very gingerly.
So hopefully, her injury wasn't as severe as mine but still needed to be repaired surgically.
I remember when my wife needed back surgery (40 years ago) for an extruded disk. It was a major operation and required almost 3 months of recovery before she was walking normally. Hers was a major extrusion with a sizable incision that went through important muscle groups in the back. These days the surgery for extrusions (minor and major) is typically laparoscopic. A tiny incision to insert some fiber optics and a little surgical tube with a cutter and a suction tube. The recovery time for these tends to be a few weeks since the incision is so small, as long as disks don’t need to be fused. If fusion is needed then recovery can be a month or more. Often the preamble to any of these surgeries is a waiting period to see if the disk material will simply shrivel up and effectively disappear. I suspect Amari was in the wait and see mode most of the last two years.

Reaction Score
Just out of curiosity, what in her history at UConn leads to this belief?

Two years of trying to play with a herniated disc. Her medical history in Storrs has been a close copy of Griffin's first 2 years at UConn. I think we are all hoping for a similar outcome.

Reaction Score
I had low hopes for Amari to begin with, but after reading about her back surgery and her mental issues, my hopes are even lower now.The fact she's not available to speak to the media is not a good sign. I hope her the best, but I'm just trying to put things in perspective. When I read some of the posts here that she will start, play big minutes, and contribute a lot, I just shake my head.

Reaction Score
My comparison was about their lack of playing time in their first two years. Both had spine issues that limited their availability. Surgery changed that for Griffin and we're hoping for the same for Deberry.
Griffin is an outstanding 6'1 athlete. Deberry is 6'6 and runs the floor very well for her size. Different types of talent. Griffin is the fastest player on the team according to Geno. According to the practice players Deberry is an outstanding outside shooter. They are far from mirror images but they are still comparable.

sun

Reaction Score
history says she has a nice smile, but no hands.
You must be thinking about someone else.
Amari has larger than average man size hands that are strong.
Against GT, she reached up & caught a hot pass with one hand that was over her head & the ball stuck to it like glue.

20221011001132_e6089592-7422-4446-9b64-0e9666039878.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
history says she has a nice smile, but no hands.
That describes most of last years team. Post players typically rebound and start the break. Anything more than that is a bonus and she will at least provide some blocks in there too.

Reaction Score
When I think of post players her size most of them were limited in athletic ability. If a player had her height and Aubrey's quickness she would be the best player in the country. What we are talking about with Amari is a fifth option that can defend the basket and get you 10 rebounds per night. I think you get that and a great shooter so all the visuals are there, the question is can she do something in practice to earn the minutes?

Reaction Score
When I think of post players her size most of them were limited in athletic ability. If a player had her height and Aubrey's quickness she would be the best player in the country. What we are talking about with Amari is a fifth option that can defend the basket and get you 10 rebounds per night. I think you get that and a great shooter so all the visuals are there, the question is can she do something in practice to earn the minutes?
If she could do any of these things she’d be in the rotation, not a fifth option. If she could do all of them she’d be playing 25-30 minutes a game. Great shooter? Auriemma would be more than surprised to hear that description. I don’t think he’s taking any outside opinions on it like that practice player’s last season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom