PN 2018 rankings - Decosta #1 | The Boneyard

PN 2018 rankings - Decosta #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Espinoza-Hunter's teammate (at Blair) Scott-Grayson at #2.

Think E-H will put in a good word or two about UConn?

The #14th ranked player Wallace is also on UConn's radar.

Reaction Score
I believe the highest Chelsea Gray ranked was #4, though she did win a co-NPOY award with Chiney in HS.

Tierra Rogers was the SF player. Some had her top 15-20. Her HS team had an amazing run. Went undefeated her junior year and some had them #1 nationally. They were a small team and besides Rogers mostly mid-major caliber players, but they played so well together. IIRC, UConn was one of Tierra's finalists. Rogers was not a good shooter but so athletic and really an electric player to watch.

The heart condition was a tough blow, but great that Cal kept her on scholarship for 4 years never-the-less. I think technically they were not supposed to because she had not played a game yet. But then-coach Joanne Boyle made it work, even saying she would pay for the scholarship herself if she had to in a press conference.

Other top NorCal recruits:
2014 - Gabby Green, Mikayla Cowling, Mariya Moore
2013 - Oderah Chidom
2011 - Brittany Boyd
2010 - (Gray), Afure Jemerigbe
2009 - (Rogers), DeNesha Stallworth
2007 - Vicki Baugh, Danielle Robinson
2006 - (Gemelos, Appel)
2005 - Courtney Paris, Ashley Paris, Devanei Hampton, Alexis Gray-Lawson, Ashley Walker, Jene Morris

That 2005 class was loaded and deep. Morris was only ranked #7 in NorCal coming out of HS but ended up getting drafted #11 in the WNBA. And the #8 or 9 kid from NorCal that year, Danielle Orsillo, had a great career at ASU, leading them with 18 points in the Elite 8 loss to UConn.

Last edited:

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
How many from the deep, loaded 2005 class went on to have successful careers in the WNBA?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
How many from the deep, loaded 2005 class went on to have successful careers in the WNBA?
Fair question but how many draftees go on to have great pro careers? I would say it usually ends up being anywhere from 5-7 kids from every class.

Obviously I don't have the stats and to me it's surprising that someone like Appel has lasted so long, but other players who were really really good in college never made it in the WNBA, or overseas for that matter. Just look at the 2011 class - KML, Williams, Burdick, Massengale, Canty, Forthan, Hartman, Smith, Jones, Logic, Laney

I bet of those 11, maybe 3 make it long term. Right now, only KML, Williams, Logic and Laney are on teams and Stokes is another as well as Harrison from the college ranks (I'm sure I'm missing a few others - I think Hamby, Mallott and Cheyenne Parker all made teams too). I know it wasn't considered a particularly strong class, and Loyd came from another class as did Zhuey from Sweden/Minny. I actually think that with Loyd and Zhuey, it make for a pretty strong class and I bet 6-7 from that class make it long term.

But my point is, it's incredibly hard to make it in the WNBA, and not all kids who were stars in college have a game that translates to the pros, while some kids who were solid but not spectacular (Stokes for example), can have really solid pro careers....

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Thanks Eric, great response...but, you had to know that if I learned anything in the general assembly this year...it was never ask a question that you already don't know the answer to. :)

Reaction Score
I believe the highest Chelsea Gray ranked was #4, though she did win a co-NPOY award with Chiney in HS.

Tierra Rogers was the SF player. Some had her top 15-20. Her HS team had an amazing run. Went undefeated her junior year and some had them #1 nationally. They were a small team and besides Rogers mostly mid-major caliber players, but they played so well together. IIRC, UConn was one of Tierra's finalists. Rogers was not a good shooter but so athletic and really an electric player to watch.

The heart condition was a tough blow, but great that Cal kept her on scholarship for 4 years never-the-less. I think technically they were not supposed to because she had not played a game yet. But then-coach Joanne Boyle made it work, even saying she would pay for the scholarship herself if she had to in a press conference.

2013 - Oderah Chidom
2011 - Brittany Boyd
2006 - (Gemelos, Appel)
2005 - Courtney Paris, Ashley Paris, Devanei Hampton, Alexis Gray-Lawson, Ashley Walker, Jene Morris

That 2005 class was loaded and deep. Morris was only ranked #7 in NorCal coming out of HS but ended up getting drafted #11 in the WNBA. And the #8 or 9 kid from NorCal that year, Danielle Orsillo, had a great career at ASU, leading them with 18 points in the Elite 8 loss to UConn.

Great info. One omission. 2014 Kelli Hayes (UCLA) San Jose product so definitely Nor Cal ranked higher than Mariya Moore

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

2013 - Oderah Chidom
2011 - Brittany Boyd
2006 - (Gemelos, Appel)

Wasn't Erika Arriaran, who went to Texas, considered by many to be the number 1 player in 2005? She never had the type of career many predicted after she tore her ACL. And oddly enough, the Paris twins were reportedly headed to UT and Arriaran told them that she thought they should take a closer look at OU, and the rest is history.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Isn't this an old list ?
You mean "wasn't" this an old list. Proof that things, impressions and skill improvement change fast at the age of these young ladies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom