Please stop with the refs | The Boneyard

Please stop with the refs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They had ZERO impact on the outcome of this game.....ZERO. We ran into a hell of a basketball team and played our C game. Nothing to be ashamed about, nor excuses to be looked for. That's a complete team and we are not. Pure and simple.

Glad they dug down and made a run, but the outcome was never really in doubt. On to next year with bigger expectations.

Reaction Score
They had ZERO impact on the outcome of this game.....ZERO. We ran into a hell of a basketball team and played our C game. Nothing to be ashamed about, nor excuses to be looked for. That's a complete team and we are not. Pure and simple.

Glad they dug down and made a run, but the outcome was never really in doubt. On to next year with bigger expectations.
They called almost nothing until the last minute. Didn't help us.

Reaction Score

Well yes, obviously we would have lost even if they didn't suck. That doesn't change the fact that they did suck.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
22 to 11 FT's didn't help, but 44-22 rebounding was far more important

they didn't help our cause, yet again, but they didn't change the outcome of this came

it was decided by their men and our boys

Reaction Score
Well yes, obviously we would have lost even if they didn't suck. That doesn't change the fact that they did suck.
Indeed. When the outside official has to come down and call that ridiculous over the back on Lucas while the official right under the basket is like... "...uh, I think maybe a jump ball?" - that's when you know the officials were officially terrible.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Kansas got almost all the 50/50 calls. In the rare instance where UConn got a 50/50 call, like the charge call on Kansas in the middle of the first half, there was a makeup call almost immediately.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
Indeed. When the outside official has to come down and call that ridiculous over the back on Lucas while the official right under the basket is like... "...uh, I think maybe a jump ball?" - that's when you know the officials were officially terrible.
That was actually kind of hilarious. Brimah didn't even know what was going on, Lucas had the ball pinned to the top of his head, and that one ref calls a jump ball. The refs certainly weren't the cause of our demise, but there were more than a few head scratchers when it comes to calls, like when Rodney got completely mugged (after they had been calling touch-fouls for everything else). Anyways, no sour grapes here, we were outplayed by a mile.

Reaction Score
I mean they didn't help in the first half. Everything was a foul there for a bit and we had to back off and they hit 10 in a row.

Reaction Score
Some of us believe, with some justification, that Ollie needs to be be tougher on the refs. The question is bigger than if it hurt us last night.

So I don't believe we will stop it with the refs. It made some difference last night. And will continue to be a factor.

Reaction Score
I mean they didn't help in the first half. Everything was a foul there for a bit and we had to back off and they hit 10 in a row.

You watch any game and the refs prove how awful they can actually be by riding the waves of momentum. I mean they love to make the calls which make the fans and coaches react to the wave of a comeback or building a run of sorts.

I will say this the new rules need to go, these guys have no idea how to call a game and what is just "game" contact vs an actual foul in impeding the offensive player, they're lost. You look at 60-70% of them and I swear they never played the game, how can they have a feel for it? I mean that's an assumption but if you're learning by the book, then you can't be good at making these calls. It was way too painful in so many games the way they took over and the way they would get good players in foul trouble with awful calls. They need to pull that back and make amends to that rule immediately.

Reaction Score
Maybe I missed it, but why did Gibbs get a technical near the end? Was it called on the court or after review?

Also as 3 for 3 mentioned RP was mugged on that layup, and the announcers go great block, the replay showed 100% that RP was fouled.

ps. KU was the better team last night and the refs did not influence the outcome. UConn lost because our shots were not falling (especially from one player - it happens, nothing personaly), and KU shot lights out in the first half.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Refs did seem to call a disproportionate amount fouls on us and both teams were playing physically.

Reaction Score
Refs did seem to call a disproportionate amount fouls on us and both teams were playing physically.

Reaction Score
Love Nantz and Raftery especially considering what we're used to but they were oblivious to most of the blown calls. There was a play where I think it was Rodney gets clocked on both arms and with the body and theyre just like ohhh great defense Lucas.

Reaction Score
Maybe I missed it, but why did Gibbs get a technical near the end? Was it called on the court or after review?

Also as 3 for 3 mentioned RP was mugged on that layup, and the announcers go great block, the replay showed 100% that RP was fouled.

This, that was awful. The fact they needed to review that play was ridiculous and shows they want to be a part of the show. Let it end, call the foul and play on. And Mason fouled him so it made Gibbs push off to get his lane which is a domino effect so why even look at anything further. And why nor Mason for the aggressive swing at the ball? These guys are clueless out there I swear.

Reaction Score

ps. KU was the better team last night and the refs did not influence the outcome. UConn lost because our shots were not falling (especially from one player - it happens, nothing personaly), and KU shot lights out in the first half.

I disagreed with it, but they called Gibbs on review for warding off after the foul and making a little bit of contact with the KU's player head. KU guy was reaching and SG's arm impulsively went out as a shield - the KU player just had lowered his head in there on the reach. Thankfully, that call had no impact on the game.

Reaction Score
Love Nantz and Raftery especially considering what we're used to but they were oblivious to most of the blown calls. There was a play where I think it was Rodney gets clocked on both arms and with the body and theyre just like ohhh great defense Lucas.

The broadcast team was oblivious to the entire second half. They spent 5 minutes during talking about Manning's history and they made no comment out UConn responding with a 3 after that insane dunk. They were worse then the refs.

Reaction Score

yes to all...

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
In the end, did the refs cost UConn the game - probably not
BUT there was a definite difference at how they called/didn't call fouls last night.
IMHO, the Kansas bigs were allowed to body UConn all over without a call BUT when UConn tried the same, because of the size/weight difference, the UConn player had to exert in doing so - that caused an increase awareness. I don't care of the size, if you are going to body foul it has to be called both ways whether you bounce off or not.
The KU guards used their off arm to push - all the time, they grabbed DHam and RP's uniforms as the turned corners but SG and Rp were called for 3 touch fouls each.
There was really nothing KO could do about it - he saw it in the pros - when to guys go at it, the smaller guy had to work harder and thus the extra effort usually resulted in a foul
I think he summed that up in the postee - UConn needs to get bigger and stronger - FAST

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

I agree with most of your assessment but ZERO is plain BS

Reaction Score
22 to 11 FT's didn't help, but 44-22 rebounding was far more important

they didn't help our cause, yet again, but they didn't change the outcome of this came

it was decided by their men and our boys
Generally I agree, but the two, fouls and rebounds, are related. Exhibit A: in the second half when Lucas (I believe) is over the back on a well positioned Brimah, and the ref closest to the play was calling for a held ball. It took the outside official to overrule the idiot ref and make the over the back call. I am sure every UConn fan remembers the play.

Furthermore the point of the game when fouls are called is critical because players perform according to the fouls they are saddled with. Therefore fouls called against the UConn players early in the game affect their play for the rest of the game. Kansas is a good team that got the calls early and made the most out of them. UConn, on the other hand, tough luck.

Reaction Score
Four things were obvious last night.
1. The refs called many more fouls on us when KU drove to the basket than they did on them when we drove. No question about that.
2. Given that, and trailing badly, I believe we should have gone to shooting more threes and crashing the boards. We were spaced weirdly and almost never were in position for a rebound.
3. The sheer body size of KU players almost made us invisible by comparison.
4. Seldin should have come to UConn!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3