Please Explain to me | The Boneyard

Please Explain to me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Why are school skipping for other conferences? How and why did the first domino fall? Im completely ignorant on this subject and would just like some clarification/explanation. thanks

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Short answer: Football and TV contracts drive the bus in major college athletics. Big East does/did not have enough quality football teams to survive as a BCS conference as presently constructed, and lacks a major TV deal.

I'll leave it to others to say what the first domino was, but from what I understand a major factor in the most recent defections is the TV deal that ESPN signed with the ACC recently.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
It's all about the Benjamins baby. Conference realignment is the result of the influx of cash for the right to broadcast football to the masses.

Reaction Score
It all started in 1991 when the SEC raided the SWC of Arkansas and the Metro Conference of South Carolina, getting to 12 and setting up a conference title game.

In 1994, the Big 8 took 4 of the remaining Texas SWC schools, leaving Rice, SMU, and TCU to the WAC. They then set up a title game.

Things probably would have stopped, or slowed, but then the ACC took Miami and VT, petitioned the NCAA to let them have a title game with 11 schools (which would have helped B10), but was rejected. That was the moment 12 became necessary for the money. They took BC to get there.

The BXII had problems with Texas, which made teams want to leave. The BE football schools had problems with the basketball onlies not letting them get to 12. And 16 became a potential goal because it could be a way to preserve more rivalries (7 fb, 14 round robin basketball against the same schools every year) and still stage a championship game.

Now its all about markets. We have one, but so does Rutgers. Our football might be too young. If we get into the ACC or B10 we have two people to thank:

1) Calhoun
2) Lew Perkins

We may be either way, but the fact that we have a shot comes from them.

Reaction Score
Can someone explain to me:

What is the deal with Rutgers and their 'market' in the NYC area? I'm trying to understand what they are referring to here.

Rutgers has a bad basketball and fairly bad football program, the latter just a bit bigger in attendance numbers as uconn's.

They don't have a great fanbase, nor are people in nyc going to just root for Rutgers (sorta like the Nets).

So, why are they being considered here, and not schools like Louisville (rabid fanbase in bball, decent FB school) South Florida (better than Rutgers in fball), West Virginia (see Louisville, but with a good fball program)?

Reaction Score
The domino, depending on how you see it, was Texas A&M leaving for the SEC this year...

...or...

Nebraska leaving for the B10 last year.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
In 1902, Rutgers was denied entrance to the new Ivy League football conference.

Ever since then, they have undermined the stability of not only college athletics, but the world as a whole.

In 1961, Rutgers finished the season undefeated, but Alabama was named national champion. End result? Bay of Pigs.

Do not duck* with Rutgers. This whole conference kerfuffle ends the second Harvard and Yale bend the knee in front of RU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom