Please explain DePauls seeding | The Boneyard

Please explain DePauls seeding

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
So DePaul is a play-in for the 11th seed. Is this a first? Usually play-in is for 16th seed. Are they ranking DePaul higher than 12 - 16 seeds plus playins, or 23 other teams? What exactly are they trying to say with DePaul's seeding?

Either way it should be an interesting game, I look forward to watching.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So DePaul is a play-in for the 11th seed. Is this a first? Usually play-in is for 16th seed. Are they ranking DePaul higher than 12 - 16 seeds plus playins, or 23 other teams? What exactly are they trying to say with DePaul's seeding?

Well this is a first (play-in) for the Women's tournament. The Men have been doing it for a few years now. Part of the gender equality stuff.

A lot of the late adds (last 4 in, etc.) are not the 16th seeds. Lot's of the low seeds are for the lower league entrees. Like Montana St from Big Sky league or Mercer from Southern Conference.

Some people think the last 4 into the tournament are supposed to be the 16th seeds. Doesn't work that way. All the non-P5 leagues get an entry. They end up in the lower seeds. A lot of the last in extra teams (non league winners), especially from non-P5 leagues end up in the 10-13 seeds.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The Office I Give Up GIF

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Well this is a first (play-in) for the Women's tournament. The Men have been doing it for a few years now. Part of the gender equality stuff.

A lot of the late adds (last 4 in, etc.) are not the 16th seeds. Lot's of the low seeds are for the lower ln e entrees. Like Montana St from Big Sky league or Mercer from Southern Conference.

Some people think the last 4 into the tournament are supposed to be the 16th seeds. Doesn't work that way. All the non-P5 leagues get an entry. They end up in the lower seeds. A lot of the last in extra teams (non league winners), especially from non-P5 leagues end up in the 10-13 seeds.
Still seems screwy that a 16th seed is in the tournament proper while an 11th seed isn’t without a qualifying game.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Just as in the men's tournament, which has been doing this since 2011, two of the "First Four" games involve the bottom 4 teams of the entire field (teams 65-68, seeded 16) while the other two games feature the last four at-large teams, which are typically 11 or 12 seeds.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Still seems screwy that a 16th seed is in the tournament proper while an 11th seed isn’t without a qualifying game.
I'm not sure if it's explicitly stated or not, but all 4 of the 11 seeds in the play-in game lost their conference tournament, so I believe they're considered the last teams to qualify for the tournament. The lower seeds (12-16) all won conference tournaments so they automatically qualified even though their overall resume doesn't stack up favorably to the 11 seeds who relied on at-large bids.

IMO, the 16 seeds should get locked into the field of 64 and skip the play in game because they won their conference tournament and earned their spot. Play in games should be for those last 8 squads who were on the bubble and eeked their way in.

sun

Reaction Score
IMO this game is more of a battle between 2 conference honorable mentions from the Big East & the Atlantic 10.
Dayton won their regular season while DePaul has been in 18 of the last 20 NCAAT's and led the nation in scoring.
The winner is going to be the underdog playing against #6 seed Georgia in Ames, Iowa, closer to the home of whichever play-in team wins.
The teams are playing into the middle of the Greensboro bracket to generate excitement for the NCAAT with a more competitive game than against a 16 or other low seed.
The people in Iowa should be rooting for the underdog since Georgia would probably be going forward to play against Iowa State next.
It makes for match ups of greater interest for those in attendance.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Shouldn't. The 16th seeds, for the most part won their league championship. Auto qualify. 11 seeds didn't win and probably finished lower in their respective league. They just happen to be one of the top 40ish teams in the country.

The men have been doing this for years. Nothing new or unusual.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Shouldn't. The 16th seeds, for the most part won their league championship. Auto qualify. 11 seeds didn't win and probably finished lower in their respective league. They just happen to be one of the top 40ish teams in the country.

The men have been doing this for years. Nothing new or unusual.
Thanks for the explanation. I guess I just wasn't paying attention. Should make for an interesting game. ( while we wait for UConn).

Reaction Score
I always felt that if you win your league, you should not have to play against a #1 seed your first game. It almost is a way to keep the smarter leagues down. Maybe league winners can not be seeded lower than 44. Give the at large teams a more difficult path.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I always felt that if you win your league, you should not have to play against a #1 seed your first game. It almost is a way to keep the smarter leagues down. Maybe league winners can not be seeded lower than 44. Give the at large teams a more difficult path.
So the 1 seeds should have to play 11 seeds instead of 16s? And the 6 seeds get to play the 16 seeds instead of the 11s? Not understanding this rationale of giving the 6 seeds an easier opponent than the 1 seeds.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Just as in the men's tournament, which has been doing this since 2011, two of the "First Four" games involve the bottom 4 teams of the entire field (teams 65-68, seeded 16) while the other two games feature the last four at-large teams, which are typically 11 or 12 seeds.
I've always thought the automatic qualifiers should not be in play-in games. They've already earned their place in the field of 64. I don't like the expansion, but if they're gonna do it, I'd rather the last 8 selected be in the play-in games.

sun

Reaction Score
The purpose of the NCAAT is to give every team an equal opportunity to win the NC and not to have an equally difficult road to the FF which is impossible.
Every team gets an equal chance to win each game and they have to make the most of it.
It's just like real life, teams are like individuals and need to overcome whatever hand that their circumstances have dealt them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What is a smarter league?

Reaction Score
So the 1 seeds should have to play 11 seeds instead of 16s? And the 6 seeds get to play the 16 seeds instead of the 11s?
Agreed that makes no sense. If we're going to force the final at large teams to 16s instead of where their strength legitimately places them, let's just make the whole thing random.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
The purpose of the NCAAT is to give every team an equal opportunity to win the NC and not to have an equally difficult road to the FF which is impossible.
Every team gets an equal chance to win each game and they have to make the most of it.
It's just like real life, teams are like individuals and need to overcome whatever hand that their circumstances have dealt them.

'What? You make it sound like every team gets something like a golf handicap.

sun

Reaction Score
'What? You make it sound like every team gets something like a golf handicap.
What I said is quite the opposite.
The statement that I responded to below sounds like TB12 wants to create something akin to a golf handicap.
Some team needs to play each of the #1 seeds, league winners should not be immune or given special treatment.
That's why the seeds are based on rankings including the NET.
Imagine if all of the pairings for each round were drawn by lottery, then folks wouldn't be happy because #1 teams may need to play each other at the very beginning of the tournament.

BTW what is a smarter league?
Is that code for a soft or weaker mid-major league?

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Based on "reputation", yes
Those are the schools not the league. The only measure we have of the “league’s” intelligence is it success. Since it is one of the least successful leagues it must therefore be the least intelligent league.

Reaction Score
I just said if you win your league you should not have to play a 1 seed (or a playin game). Let someone who was unable to win their league be a 16th seed. The #1 team would play whoever the 16th seed. The poorly thought of leagues always get low seeds, so they have no chance. Then the ACC losers get a middle seed and have a chance to win a couple of games. The winners of leagues should get to play the 5th and 6th rated ACC teams then they may have a shot of winning a game. Winning your league should count for something, not to be destroyed by a 1 seed.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I just said if you win your league you should not have to play a 1 seed (or a playin game). Let someone who was unable to win their league be a 16th seed. The #1 team would play whoever the 16th seed. The poorly thought of leagues always get low seeds, so they have no chance. Then the ACC losers get a middle seed and have a chance to win a couple of games. The winners of leagues should get to play the 5th and 6th rated ACC teams then they may have a shot of winning a game. Winning your league should count for something, not to be destroyed by a 1 seed.
But the teams that get the lowest seeds are actually the worst teams in the field. It has nothing to do with disrespecting their league. Just look at their resumes. There are also good teams from weaker leagues who get seeded higher. Look at Murray State on the men's side this year — champs of the Ohio Valley, a one-bid league, and they're a 7 seed. Look at the other one-bid league champs who earned 10, 11 and 12 seeds. The teams are seeded as they are for a reason. If the 16 seeds don't like playing a 1 seed in the first round, they should have had a better team and better season like Murray State did.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if it's explicitly stated or not, but all 4 of the 11 seeds in the play-in game lost their conference tournament, so I believe they're considered the last teams to qualify for the tournament. The lower seeds (12-16) all won conference tournaments so they automatically qualified even though their overall resume doesn't stack up favorably to the 11 seeds who relied on at-large bids.

IMO, the 16 seeds should get locked into the field of 64 and skip the play in game because they won their conference tournament and earned their spot. Play in games should be for those last 8 squads who were on the bubble and eeked their way in.
Agree! AQ’s should never be in a play in game, but there is one tonight in the mens tournament.

Reaction Score
For quite a while, the bottom four teams have been in play-ins for two spots, and the bottom four at-large teams have also had play-ins for two spots. It is now the same way for the women.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom