Please ESPN | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Please ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
So predictable. Is there a single game announcer that UConn fans won't bash?

Reaction Score
I would prefer experienced male announcers to females trying to sound masculine. And Doris, is that the best you can do with your hair? She looks like she just rolled out of bed and maybe that is why I have a kinky crush on her.
IMO, Kara Lawson does the best game and player breakdown.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
At times she is just ridiculously anti-UConn. She went on and on saying the Mathis was in the act of shooting when the block was called on Stef...when if she actually bothered to watch the replay instead of loudly expressing her opinion, she would,have seen that Mathis lost the ball before she ran into Stef...so the proper call would have been no foul at all...you can't get a blocking call if you have already lost possession of the ball!

IMO Burke was correct. Dolson and Doty were collapsing into the paint to stop Mathies' drive. Neither had established position. That's why the blocking foul was called. When Mathies elevated for the shot the ball was knocked from her hands by Dolson's outstretched left hand. That "block" was part of the same contact that resulted in the foul call. She should have had 2 fts.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
So predictable. Is there a single game announcer that UConn fans won't bash?
Bill Russell, Jeff Van Gundy, Bobby Knight, Jay Bilas, Kara Lawson, Sean McDonnough, LaChina, Stefanie White, the original Rebecca Lobo, and more.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
IMO Burke was correct. Dolson and Doty were collapsing into the paint to stop Mathies' drive. Neither had established position. That's why the blocking foul was called. When Mathies elevated for the shot the ball was knocked from her hands by Dolson's outstretched left hand. That "block" was part of the same contact that resulted in the foul call. She should have had 2 fts.
But she didn't have the ball which she had already lost and they were calling for a shooting foul.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
My wish is for some mention of who is on the court and who is matched up with whom...and the implications thereof. IOW, what to watch for.

Agreed

Most arenas have live stat boards showing points scored, fouls, etc. These boards could be shown occasionally. That way the announcers could prattle away at their heart's content and just ignore the game completely.

But this cannot happen often enough I think. ALso, it is what is happening live action that I want to hear about. Often the camera angle is not great, and I cannot see some of the action enough to tell who fouled whom, who got the shot, etc, etc. The play by play should alleviate that, but as we know, we don't get play by play.

And I am sure that even in these overmatched games, fans of the other team may want to hear who is still trying to keep the losing team in the game and who is still working their butts off, especially parents. It is not enough to say something after the game with nothing said during the game to back it up. There are players who are seniors who may not play another game for their school or for anyone for that matter who should get some notice if they are playing hard, even in a blow-out. In my mind, it is discourteous that the announcers diss these folks in lieu of discussing players not in the current game, and plugging upcoming games during the action on the court.

It just ticks me off no end and frustrates me that there is nothing I can do about it.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
But she didn't have the ball which she had already lost and they were calling for a shooting foul.

ICE - That was my point - she DID have the ball when she was going up. I watched the replay again in slo mo. The collision, starting with Dolson's outstretched hands caused the ball to come loose. Dolson's hands are not straight up but instead they are inclined towards the shooter. It looks like she didn't get clean contact with the ball, more like ball, hands and wrists.

Even if it had been a clean block. Doesn't a contact foul after a block result in free throws?

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I would prefer experienced female announcers to males trying to sound feminine. And Bobby, is that the best you can do with your hair? He looks he just rolled out of bed and maybe that is why I have a kinky crush on him..

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
ICE - That was my point - she DID have the ball when she was going up. I watched the replay again in slo mo. The collision, starting with Dolson's outstretched hands caused the ball to come loose. Dolson's hands are not straight up but instead they are inclined towards the shooter. It looks like she didn't get clean contact with the ball, more like ball, hands and wrists.

Even if it had been a clean block. Doesn't a contact foul after a block result in free throws?
Look again she loses it before she is going up. It is loose and almost sitting on her head. I'm looking at it right now. She starts up after the ball is gone.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure that they could do this, Vowelguy. When they do tune in they get names wrong and miscall plays. If you say so....but I'm not sure the effort level is there. It takes energy and skill and I don't see a lot of either.

Did they go on tangents during the nd games? I doubt it.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Did they go on tangents during the nd games? I doubt it.
There's no need to -- there's so much to talk about. Skyler's this, Skyler's that, Skyler's the other thing. And did we mention Skyler?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
L
Look again she loses it before she is going up. It is loose and almost sitting on her head. I'm looking at it right now. She starts up after the ball is gone.

Well you made me look again and you may be right - sorta'. I say may be because I'm not clear on the rules. I disagree that the ball is loose before she starts to shoot but I agree the ball is loose before Dolson made body contact. Look at Mathies foot position. Classic jump shot. It looks to me that the loose ball was caused by Dolson's hands not by Mathies fumbling.

If the foul was called because of the body contact than the ref may have felt that Dolson got a clean block on the ball and the shot (blocked) had already occurred.
My confusion then becomes - how can it be a blocking foul?

Just another illustration on how tough a refs job can be.

Reaction Score
Sorry but its not going to happen for any game that gets out of hand. That's the way broadcasting works.

Well, fine, but I'd like them to have an actual play-by-play announcer at least assigned to the game to begin with, not a team of "analysts". At least there's a chance if you have an actual PBP caller on a mike that you might hear the occasional info point on the game being played.

Reaction Score
At times she is just ridiculously anti-UConn. She went on and on saying the Mathis was in the act of shooting when the block was called on Stef...when if she actually bothered to watch the replay instead of loudly expressing her opinion, she would,have seen that Mathis lost the ball before she ran into Stef...so the proper call would have been no foul at all...you can't get a blocking call if you have already lost possession of the ball!
that is what I noticed they were so angry about Kentucky not getting called. I was confused. They kept yelling about poor Kentucky and how the bad reffing wouldn’t let them back in the game. Never heard that when N.D. was pulling down Dolson and Steph got a penalty

Reaction Score
I find Doris to be completely without bias and I like that. That was a foul on Breanna, just like she came to the defense of Kelly Faris in the Maryland game. I will say that Doris has been ESPNized in a way, but she is and has paved the way for female sports announcers and I'm glad she is still associated with WCBB.

Reaction Score
Would it be possible, perhaps via Skype, to add voice to the Boneyard? How many people will the phone companies allow on a conference call if only one or a specific few are doing the talking? There seem to be a gozillion Internet radio stations now. Why not one for Husky fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom