Plays Like a Guy... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Plays Like a Guy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They do. They wish they could win consistently like the women’s team. Any team would.
Look, I have great admiration for our women’s soccer team. They are a dominant force in women’s soccer. However, it’s just silly to imply that they are better than the men’s team. If the men played against the women’s team they would win every game. That is not in any way an insult to the women’s team, just fact. I do agree that the men’s team probably wishes they could win in their league as consistently as the women do in theirs.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
They do. They wish they could win consistently like the women’s team. Any team would.
They may wish they could win like them, but they don't wish they could play like them.

Reaction Score
No one is saying the women are more physically talented. However they are a better team.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
US men’s team has been overrated,over paid and underperforming for years.
That wasn't the MNT that played in the Olympic Quals. It's obvious here, there are a couple of you who don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Reaction Score
That is certainly something that is open for debate but that doesn’t make the women’s team better than the men on the field. If you’re saying the women have been much more successful in their league than the men have in their’s I am in complete agreement! Who could argue with that!

Reaction Score

This was NOT the U.S. national team. In fact it wasn't even what would be the U.S. U-23 team, which would be quite good if it had all of its strong players.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
There is a big difference in the world in the last 20 years (DT) and even the last 10 (Maya) of basketball and in society.

There is no question that with comparable athletes men are stronger and faster. But the comments mostly by couch potatoes like me that _______ male athlete could beat ______ female athlete and therefore ______ female athlete is useless is too common and spread everywhere over the internet. Just look at comments on articles about women's games and there are bound to be plenty of 'why are they even writing about this - x guys could destroy them!'

So yeah, here and elsewhere there is a heightened level of sensitivity.

The OP isn't a misogynist post, and the intent is to praise a woman athlete. But it sort of feeds into 'she moves like a man, which I didn't expect' or 'she moves like a man, but LeBron could take her every time' or gives echos to the really terrible things said not long ago about Griner. And there are actually a number of women's athletes that move like women's athletes and like Smith.

So it really is time to retire the 'she moves like a man' or the alternate 'she plays like a girl' - didn't Nike run an ironic campaign not long ago using that last phrase?

Reaction Score
That wasn't the MNT that played in the Olympic Quals. It's obvious here, there are a couple of you who don't have a clue what you are talking about.
Enlighten us (me)

Reaction Score
Actually I have never really followed the men’s team. I just know they haven’t won much. My daughters old soccer coach played with them years ago. Cle Kooiman.

Reaction Score
When you watch ... the U.S. women’s soccer team, maybe we should start looking for men who play like girls.

This sounds good until you realize that in 2017 the USWNT played a warm-up game against the FC Dallas U-15 boys team and lost 5-2.

Reaction Score
This sounds good until you realize that in 2017 the USWNT played a warm-up game against the FC Dallas U-15 boys team and lost 5-2.
What does that have to do with my comments?

Reaction Score
Those boys should be ashamed letting those girls score two goals!!!

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
This is getting silly. Identifying certain women who play more like men? What the sense of it? What do you wind up with when you identify them? When you watch teams like Stanford and UCONN women’s hoops or the U.S. women’s soccer team, maybe we should start looking for men who play like girls. This thread has forced me to move up Happy Hour.

Horatio

I’m Heat Miser and your Rudolph…
Reaction Score
We tell our girls that you want people to see you play and consider you a good “basketball player”. We take the gender thing right out of it.

Reaction Score
I never said that playing like a guy is an "ideal".... just that for a few women, I get that thought...it's about the way they move and play... would I rather have Stewie than Smith? of course, a million times over. Diana T? and Paige? in a heartbeat over Smith
I get that thought..
Stop it! Stop having "that thought." Thoughts are the devil's workshop and may lead to deeds. So, just stop it!

Reaction Score
The U.S. men’s soccer team missed qualifying for the Olympics for the second consecutive time. The entire team wishes they played like girls.
Borderline brilliant.

Reaction Score
Taurasi was compared to Magic and Michael on the way she played in college. She said that was the ultimate complement because men are the best players in the world. In Sports Illustrated in either the 03 or 04 National Championship Editions.
It was only recently that I read about Geno finding Diana, alone, after practice, crying and sobbing. The pressure on her was just so great yet she took it upon herself to make everyone around her great for the task at hand. That kind of athletic courage is not gender specific nor is courage in general. In The Last Dance you also really get a glimpse of what Jordan did to make his team great. It was a quest, just like Diana's. If we are using the phrase "plays like a guy" and if that is a compliment, I fail to see how that could not apply to Diana who should be compared to Michael for that attribute. Her efforts in 2003 and 2004 were positively heroic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom