Playing with UCONN effort and not playing with UCONN effort | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Playing with UCONN effort and not playing with UCONN effort

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
One person had to go for the ball and the other person needed to be there to grab it as it was flung back into play. If they both go for it, it puts Bailey into position to take possession since both Nika and ONO were back and ready to defend.

Was it a slight failure in communication? Yes. Is it worth criticizing anyone's effort without understanding how they were seeing the play unfold? No.

And, as we all know, the last thing we need is two of our three guards both diving for the same ball and hurting one another in the process.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If there was ever a thread indicative of the fact that we BY’ers have far too much time on our hands, this is it. I would participate but it’s time for me to do my morning Wordle puzzle. ;)

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
It commonly happens in hockey that there is a multi-player scrum along the boards or in the corner, and in almost every case, each team will have another player who is nearby but not participating in the scrum. The reason is obviously so that when the teammate in the scrum manages to gain possession of the puck, he needs to have someone to pass to who can move the puck up the ice.

On the play in question, if Caroline Ducharme was going to save the ball from going out of bounds, she needed someone to pass to, and that could only be Evina. If they had both been diving for the ball, it would have been another UConn turnover.

Reaction Score
Not playing with UConn effort:

1) lazy or Ill-considered passes that StJ easily picked for layups. We were lucky more didn’t drop.
2) getting beaten repeatedly on fast breaks
3) unchallenged drives in the lane

St Johns was fundamentally sound but over-matched. Were we to play like this against, say, SC, it would be a long, ugly night for us, despite the (mostly) wonderful effort of Liv, Nika, and Caroline.
After the game, Meghan Culmo remarked on how sloppy the passing was, and how sloppy the play was in general by UConn. She's not a BY'er, but a veteran of UConn basketball.

Reaction Score
It commonly happens in hockey that there is a multi-player scrum along the boards or in the corner, and in almost every case, each team will have another player who is nearby but not participating in the scrum. The reason is obviously so that when the teammate in the scrum manages to gain possession of the puck, he needs to have someone to pass to who can move the puck up the ice.

On the play in question, if Caroline Ducharme was going to save the ball from going out of bounds, she needed someone to pass to, and that could only be Evina. If they had both been diving for the ball, it would have been another UConn turnover.
Exactly, especially because Ducharme didn’t come close to having to dive.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

So your implication is that Evina was making the smart play by anticipating her teammate’s action to save the ball from going out of bounds. I like that interpretation far better than those who believe Evina didn’t hustle, which is belied by the fact that she went flying into the seats trying to save a ball from going out of bounds on a similar play.

Reaction Score
After the game, Meghan Culmo remarked on how sloppy the passing was, and how sloppy the play was in general by UConn. She's not a BY'er, but a veteran of UConn basketball.
I don’t listen to announcers 95% of the time when I watch sports so my exposure to Culmo is limited but regardless of her experience with basketball she has never impressed my with any insight that the average fan couldn’t provide. The perfect game has yet to be played and the extenuating circumstances of the Uconn team right now makes the sloppy play, which is hardly the norm, expected. It is very difficult to maintain the high level of focus needed to not make mistakes when your three main ball handlers are essentially playing the whole game. More so, when two of them pretty obviously should not be but have the internal fortitude and toughness to do it anyway.

Reaction Score
So your implication is that Evina was making the smart play by anticipating her teammate’s action to save the ball from going out of bounds. I like that interpretation far better than those who believe Evina didn’t hustle, which is belied by the fact that she went flying into the seats trying to save a ball from going out of bounds on a similar play.
Must be talking about this play...surely this play must meet UConn's effort!

Evina.gif

Reaction Score
I don’t listen to announcers 95% of the time when I watch sports so my exposure to Culmo is limited but regardless of her experience with basketball she has never impressed my with any insight that the average fan couldn’t provide. The perfect game has yet to be played and the extenuating circumstances of the Uconn team right now makes the sloppy play, which is hardly the norm, expected. It is very difficult to maintain the high level of focus needed to not make mistakes when your three main ball handlers are essentially playing the whole game. More so, when two of them pretty obviously should not be but have the internal fortitude and toughness to do it anyway.
Meghan Culmo is a four-year UConn post player, a veteran of Coach Auriemma's coaching, and an insightful commentator of UConn WCBB for years. She knows what she's talking about. She's not a run-of-the-mill broadcaster. Indeed, she's one of the best commentators in the country. Period.

Reaction Score
Meghan Culmo is a four-year UConn post player, a veteran of Coach Auriemma's coaching, and an insightful commentator of UConn WCBB for years. She knows what she's talking about. She's not a run-of-the-mill broadcaster. Indeed, she's one of the best commentators in the country. Period.
Well, that is your opinion. I disagree. I don’t give credibility for any of the things you offer as “credentials”, I go by what I have heard her say; not impressed at all, but certainly to each their own.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I was a bit surprised during the game at a moment during the game. It is captured here at 2:55. There is a loose ball between E and Charm. E makes a little move towards it but then obviously expects Charm to get it. I may be petty, but I don't know why E didn't instinctively, reflexively, make a strong move for the ball.
Because she got faked out by Charm. She started for the ball. Things happen during the flow. People are so play by play nit picky.

Reaction Score
Caroline already hustled and saved the ball from leaving the court. She sent it back to Evina who did not move an inch. So Caroline had make a second play. Fortunately she is a hustler.
No they look at each other before either one moves. Then Caroline goes for the ball.

Reaction Score
Maybe Evina was still a little disoriented from the play when she went diving into the chairs in the corner trying to save a lose ball. ;)
I'm sure I would not want this scrutiny of my game. The first question I'd ask of my critics: Can you do better?
These Uconn kid don't have a thing on their brain--except
The Virus, The variant, Grades, Classes, Practice, Geno, CD, etc, . The injuries. Can Uconn withstand ONE more? Diving out of bounds regularly causes injuries, two Uconn kids knocking heads over a loose ball may reduce the available bench by another one or two. Geno wants them to play hard but not foolishly hard. He can't win games with only 4 players.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Because she got faked out by Charm. She started for the ball. Things happen during the flow. People are so play by play nit picky.
Yup we are. Geno taught us that.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I'm sure I would not want this scrutiny of my game. The first question I'd ask of my critics: Can you do better?
These Uconn kid don't have a thing on their brain--except
The Virus, The variant, Grades, Classes, Practice, Geno, CD, etc, . The injuries. Can Uconn withstand ONE more? Diving out of bounds regularly causes injuries, two Uconn kids knocking heads over a loose ball may reduce the available bench by another one or two. Geno wants them to play hard but not foolishly hard. He can't win games with only 4 players.
I'm sure your list was running through E's mind at that moment. Put Nika in E's place and imagine the same play. I believe Nika would have beaten Charm to the ball.

Reaction Score
I'm sure your list was running through E's mind at that moment. Put Nika in E's place and imagine the same play. I believe Nika would have beaten Charm to the ball.
I am certain you are right. Nika does not think of consequences. She has but one speed, all out. Some people complain about her : full speed ahead damn the torpedoes approach, but I like it. It has dangers. Some kids are just wired for speed, and Nika is one. I only wish she'd slow down and make those layups. But Nika is Nika, what's not to like?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
But Yup we are. Geno taught us that.
I think it’s Geno‘s to worry about ;). I think it was pretty clear each thought the other was going for it. How often has that happened in a UConn game especially when there was no opponent around? I think we all noticed the play but I wouldn’t call it a lack of effort, it was misinterpreted body language, kinda like when someone is in the process of making a pass and the intended recipient cuts away. It’s a miscommunication and the pass goes out of bounds. Of course if it were against SC or Tennessee I’d send them both to the penalty box.

Reaction Score
One person had to go for the ball and the other person needed to be there to grab it as it was flung back into play. If they both go for it, it puts Bailey into position to take possession since both Nika and ONO were back and ready to defend.

Was it a slight failure in communication? Yes. Is it worth criticizing anyone's effort without understanding how they were seeing the play unfold? No.

And, as we all know, the last thing we need is two of our three guards both diving for the same ball and hurting one another in the process.
Looked to me as if E made the correct decision to keep herself available for the ball.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Looked to me as if E made the correct decision to keep herself available for the ball.

I think the mutual hesitation indicates the slight failure in communication, but I 10000% agree with you that E made the right choice on this play. Caroline had a better angle and E was in the right spot to get the ball.

Not a lack of effort at all, IMO, as the title insinuates.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom