Playing with UCONN effort and not playing with UCONN effort | The Boneyard

Playing with UCONN effort and not playing with UCONN effort

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I was a bit surprised during the game at a moment during the game. It is captured here at 2:55. There is a loose ball between E and Charm. E makes a little move towards it but then obviously expects Charm to get it. I may be petty, but I don't know why E didn't instinctively, reflexively, make a strong move for the ball.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I was a bit surprised during the game at a moment during the game. It is captured here at 2:55. There is a loose ball between E and Charm. E makes a little move towards it but then obviously expects Charm to get it. I may be petty, but I don't know why E didn't instinctively, reflexively, make a strong move for the ball.
I would not read anything into that play. Just a mental hiccup

I really enjoy the Caroline Highlights. Alot of diversity. One thing I don't think I have seen mentioned is I love when she pulls down a rebound, she quickly pivots and dribbles out fast. Most of the time, it ultimately is passed to a guard but she really tries to manufacture pace.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Maybe Evina was still a little disoriented from the play when she went diving into the chairs in the corner trying to save a lose ball. ;)

Reaction Score
I would not read anything into that play. Just a mental hiccup

I really enjoy the Caroline Highlights. Alot of diversity. One thing I don't think I have seen mentioned is I love when she pulls down a rebound, she quickly pivots and dribbles out fast. Most of the time, it ultimately is passed to a guard but she really tries to manufacture pace.
Well noted..... NIKA does the same thing!

Reaction Score
Not playing with UConn effort:

1) lazy or Ill-considered passes that StJ easily picked for layups. We were lucky more didn’t drop.
2) getting beaten repeatedly on fast breaks
3) unchallenged drives in the lane

St Johns was fundamentally sound but over-matched. Were we to play like this against, say, SC, it would be a long, ugly night for us, despite the (mostly) wonderful effort of Liv, Nika, and Caroline.

Reaction Score
I saw that too. E was farther from the ball. C was closer to it.

Reaction Score
I was screaming at that very moment "(go after the damn ball") which caused Mrs. Gigio to jump from her seat. I do find myself saying that too frequently this year along with "get down on the floor". These are things that qualify as "UConn effort", and to me, has been lacking in too many players the last couple of years. These are the intangibles which can be done regardless of talent.

Reaction Score
I was screaming at that very moment "(go after the damn ball") which caused Mrs. Gigio to jump from her seat. I do find myself saying that too frequently this year along with "get down on the floor". These are things that qualify as "UConn effort", and to me, has been lacking in too many players the last couple of years. These are the intangibles which can be done regardless of talent.
Wow, that makes 3 of us! I really sensed a disconnect (on that play at least) glad I am not the only one hollering at the television.

Reaction Score
Wow, that makes 3 of us! I really sensed a disconnect (on that play at least) glad I am not the only one hollering at the television.
+5. My wife and I both, simultaneously...

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I saw that too. E was farther from the ball. C was closer to it.
Who was closer to the ball?
1643073710944.png

Reaction Score
The rebound comes Ducharme‘s way but over her head, nowhere near Westbrooks direction. Ducharme takes a step or two towards the loose ball, then stops to look at Westbrook, who couldn’t possibly know Ducharme would do that. Westbrook takes a half step towards the ball and fans off after seeing Ducharme resume her chase.
IMO, doesn’t have a thing to do with hustle, but rather silent (or maybe verbal) communication; much like two teammates communicating when they are the only two going after a rebound.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
It appears that they both look at each other and decide who is going for the ball. Would you rather they both go for the ball and collide as the ball rolls out of bounds.
Caroline already hustled and saved the ball from leaving the court. She sent it back to Evina who did not move an inch. So Caroline had make a second play. Fortunately she is a hustler.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
You're kidding right? I can also pause a video and make it look just the opposite.

No I am not gaming it. You are. Yours shows the position of the ball prior to Caroline hustling to save the ball by redirecting it towards Evina. My frame shows the ball's position after Caroline saved it. At such time the ball is clearly closer to Evina who makes no effort. So Caroline has to save the ball a second time with UCONN effort, not Tennessee effort.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't know if that was a lack of effort (on whomever) or just a disconnect (individually or combined).

But to those of us who have watched UCONN basketball for a long time, it just looked really weird. We're just used to seeing a UCONN player go sprawling after a loose ball no matter where on the court (or off ) it is.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom