Playing time for Samson | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Playing time for Samson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Samson hasn’t really had a chance until now, but this year as others have stated there should be plenty of minutes for him at 4 and 5 spot. Clingan, between foul trouble and fatigue will probably only be able to play 25 -30 mins max. I think there is a wide range of possibilities of how SJ will do ranging from a star contributor to limited backup.

Reaction Score
Trying to read into coach-speak is a fool's errand. Look at the product on the court. Samson was unplayable freshman year and didn't show us anything last year because of the injury. You suggesting he might go in the draft is, at this point, laughable.
what I said was "with a chance of flashing into the draft"... He was on NBA teams way out radar at one point, based on his athleticism. If he can hit 3s, and play with confidence, I stand by that he could work himself into a draftable player by the time he leaves UConn...He hasnt shown ANYTHING on court for us, but you comparing him to Richie Springs is whats laughable. Is there a chance Samson, will be no better than GTown Akok? Yes. But there also remains the upside to flash.

by the way none of this is slight on Karaban at all, I think Alex/Clingan are what the program will thrive most from

Reaction Score
I'm telling you Chin, you sound like those guys that predicted Joey California would get crushed in the Big East here.

I'm drawing a line through his post-injury performance. He had lost too much ground and the team was a machine. Let's see what a fresh start brings. Even Azzi Fudd was lousy when she came back from an in-season injury.
In the first game of the season he committed 4 fouls in 16 minutes against a team that finished 331 in Kenpom.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Do a search of my name and "Calcaterra" and you'll see I was pretty fair to him going back to Aug 2022.
My point isn't that you were one of 'em, it's that you sound like one of 'em here. Casually dismissing a player before we really know.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Johnson is not going to play the 3. Literally 0% chance. He can't defend a college 3, and doesn't have a 3s skill set offensively.

I have a feeling he'll be the primary backup for Clingan. He'll back up Karaban more or less depending on how well Stewart adjusts to the college game.

At this point, I don't think anyone but our coaching staff (and maybe not even them) can really guess what Samson will be able to do. During freshman year, he was totally unplayable. Last year, he didn't get much of a shot due to injury but didn't seem to play even after he was cleared. So there is a non-zero chance that he is on the Richie Springs plan. I certainly hope that's not the case though--we need him.
I have to believe the coaches have faith in his ability or they would brought in veteran bigs.

Reaction Score
For what it’s worth, Samson has the culture ingrained in his being now. That alone will pay dividends in regards to getting the young pups acclimated to the high level practice atmosphere that Hurley and Co. have created. It’s pretty obvious that he was way to far behind to catch a spot in the rotation when he was cleared. Combine that with the unexpected contribution from DC, there was no way he was going to get more PT barring injury.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Samson only started because we had a few injuries. That being said, I see him being first or second off the bench next season when the season starts. A great player off the bench at the 4/5 spot.

Reaction Score
Is Samson going to start at 3 spot or is he going to be the backup to Alex Karaban? It looks like Samson is staying at uconn. Go UConn
Might move karaban to the 3 possibly. If we do land Spencer tho I see a castle, Newton, Spencer, karaban, clingan starting lineup. Damp backing up the 4 and 5

Reaction Score
I have to believe the coaches have faith in his ability or they would brought in veteran bigs.
I agree. Also if the Hurley didn’t think he had the ability, he would have told him his minutes would be limited and Salmson would have transferred. The fact that he is staying is a sign he will get PT and coaches think he will be good.

Reaction Score
But I thought that Hurley should be fired and that Samson would 100% be transferring? Did that not happen? He’s still here? It’s best to remember some guys from their playing days only and kind of ignore what comes after.

Samson was in an impossibly difficult position last year, and he handled it all with such maturity and patience. I hope it comes together for him because he deserves it. With his overall inexperience, he wasn’t breaking into a really strong rotation that late in the season, and his injury was such that the monitoring and slow progression kind of stalled everything.

The team is so young that he’s now been at UConn longer than any other scholarship player. I am hopeful that he can be more than just a veteran presence, though.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think he's the primary backup at 4 and 5 and will play more than people expect. Clingan isn't going to play Sanogo minutes. I don't think either freshman forward is a 4, they are both 3s. If Johnson is a big impact player for us, then it's Karaban that would play some at the 3.

Reaction Score
I think he's the primary backup at 4 and 5 and will play more than people expect. Clingan isn't going to play Sanogo minutes. I don't think either freshman forward is a 4, they are both 3s. If Johnson is a big impact player for us, then it's Karaban that would play some at the 3.

Stewart is definitely going to play 4. He's something like 6'7 225lbs.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Stewart is definitely going to play 4. He's something like 6'7 225lbs.
Listed at 6'6" 210 in what I saw. I don't think Hurley prefers undersized 4s. Not saying he can't play some minutes there, but he seems more of a physical 3. Both of them are described as "Wings". With Karaban and Johnson, PF was the lowest "need" position on the team.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
And we all thought Samson was going to save us when he came back, after the January swoon. In the end he played less than 10 significant minutes the rest of the year before the tourney and the blow outs started. And there were plenty of games we could have used another front court player and we did not see him. Even if we are optimistic because maybe he never was 100% or whatever reason we want to manufacture, the only good one is that DH was working to preserve his confidence so that we get the best version of him that we can next year. But for me, there will need to be some show me moments before I would count on him to be a + when on the court.

Reaction Score
No doubt Samson will be an impact player this year. Not from my eyes, but just trusting the coaches to have him ready to go. They kept him on the roster for good reason. I agree with @Waquoit , that last season he lost too much game time, we were cranking along, and he just didn't fit into the flow. This year, stronger, a better ball player, it's on.
Karaban’s huge improvement in the second time through the league pretty much nailed Samson to the pine. If he had shown he still couldn’t handle the strong 4s, SJ would have played more.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
But I thought that Hurley should be fired and that Samson would 100% be transferring? Did that not happen? He’s still here? It’s best to remember some guys from their playing days only and kind of ignore what comes after.

Samson was in an impossibly difficult position last year, and he handled it all with such maturity and patience. I hope it comes together for him because he deserves it. With his overall inexperience, he wasn’t breaking into a really strong rotation that late in the season, and his injury was such that the monitoring and slow progression kind of stalled everything.

The team is so young that he’s now been at UConn longer than any other scholarship player. I am hopeful that he can be more than just a veteran presence, though.

He did. and was in a real tough situation And he deserves credit for sticking it out. Im rooting for him. But this is blind hope. He didnt really show out in preseason last year BEFORE injury. (if anyone mentions he started first game again, Ill stab you ;-)

Reaction Score
Listed at 6'6" 210 in what I saw. I don't think Hurley prefers undersized 4s. Not saying he can't play some minutes there, but he seems more of a physical 3. Both of them are described as "Wings". With Karaban and Johnson, PF was the lowest "need" position on the team.

His most common measurement on recruiting sites is 6'7 215 and he's gained substantial (not all good) weight since then. He is noticably stronger and wider than Karaban.

3 and 4 are basically the same position on offense. We run so many sets, it's really about putting guys in a position to succeed rather than playing a position

Defense is the issue. Stewart cannot defend a college 3. Same reason why Karaban didn't guard the 3.

Reaction Score
He did. and was in a real tough situation And he deserves credit for sticking it out. Im rooting for him. But this is blind hope. He didnt really show out in preseason last year BEFORE injury. (if anyone mentions he started first game again, Ill stab you ;-)

I am not making personnel decisions (I just talk to those who are), so my hope can be blind, seeing, correctable with lenses, or anything in between. It doesn’t matter.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In the first game of the season he committed 4 fouls in 16 minutes against a team that finished 331 in Kenpom.
I am sure you can find a similar stat line for Clingan with many fouls in limited minutes last year against weaker opponents. I don’t think we will know what he is capable of until he gets a chance to play consistent minutes. I think we should give SJ and the coaches the benefit of the doubt, until SJ gets his chance.

Reaction Score
I heard he'll be playing PG because we don't have a true PG

backing up homer simpson GIF

Reaction Score
There is 20 mpg available at the 4 and 5. Samson should have inside track at most of those minutes.
There are players competing and if he esrns them he will get 20 mpg.
If and its a BIG IF Samson can crack the starting lineup at the 4. Block some shots, defend , rebound and most importantly stay healthy this team becomes a real threat to repeat.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Johnson is not going to play the 3. Literally 0% chance. He can't defend a college 3, and doesn't have a 3s skill set offensively.

I have a feeling he'll be the primary backup for Clingan. He'll back up Karaban more or less depending on how well Stewart adjusts to the college game.

At this point, I don't think anyone but our coaching staff (and maybe not even them) can really guess what Samson will be able to do. During freshman year, he was totally unplayable. Last year, he didn't get much of a shot due to injury but didn't seem to play even after he was cleared. So there is a non-zero chance that he is on the Richie Springs plan. I certainly hope that's not the case though--we need him.
Last paragraph sums it up. We have no idea what to expect from him. He’s barely played in two years. Hopefully he shows up this summer and can give us great minutes

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
There is 20 mpg available at the 4 and 5. Samson should have inside track at most of those minutes.
There are players competing and if he esrns them he will get 20 mpg.
We know more about the play of the incoming freshmen than we do about him. It’ll be interesting to see the battle between him and the others for the available minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom