Playing Scared | The Boneyard

Playing Scared

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'll make this quick as I don't want to think about this game much longer.

This team isn't good offensively. We know it, the team knows it, our opponents know it. But the frustrating part about it is that our players (sans Boat) are afraid to shoot. I'd be much more forgiving if our players were aggressive. Specifically, Hamilton and Purvis need to drive to the hoop more often. And I don't mean pulling up from 7 feet for a floater. Take it to the rim. Even if you miss, you have a chance to get fouled or get the interior defense out of place and set up an offensive rebound.

Our offense now largely consists of passing around for 20-25 seconds until we either A) turn the ball over, or B) have Boat take a wild last second shot. I just want to see aggression from this team. Don't go out there and be afraid to make a mistake; go impose your will on the basketball game. If other players on our team are willing to shoot and make a play, it will draw some defensive attention away from Boat and open our our offense.

I understand that our players may have some limitations, but the lack of aggression and fight is indefensible. Ultimately, this season will come down to our performance in the conference tournament. Let's use our games until then to find our identity and build confidence. Too often we come out flat and only play hard once we're in a hole. Enough of that. Just having UConn on your chest doesn't win you games, you need to earn every win.

This team is frustrating, but I'll continue to watch them. I'm not one of the 'sky-is-falling' types, I'd just like to see some development and fight from the team. Down seasons happen. But if we continue on this downward spiral, I fear it will hurt some players' confidence going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak
Top Bottom