Playing Brand Names That Will Sell Spring FB Tickets | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Playing Brand Names That Will Sell Spring FB Tickets

Reaction Score
Hoops and football were dying in the AAC.
We made a couple of bad coaching decisions. Hurley would have brought UConn back in the AAC. And a good coaching move in fottball would have done the same.

The move to the BE was a penny pinching move made for travel coasts.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
We made a couple of bad coaching decisions. Hurley would have brought UConn back in the AAC. And a good coaching move in fottball would have done the same.

The move to the BE was a penny pinching move made for travel coasts.
I noticed you cut out the rest of my post.... Hurley has stated the move back to the BE has helped recruiting and ticket sales are up.

It wasn't just about travel. And...the independent football schedule is better than the AAC football schedule. The move saved hoops and while the jury is out on football...I think it was worth the risk.

Yes...good coaching hires would have helped...but I still like the move.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I noticed you cut out the rest of my post.... Hurley has stated the move back to the BE has helped recruiting and ticket sales are up.

It wasn't just about travel. And...the independent football schedule is better than the AAC football schedule. The move saved hoops and while the jury is out on football...I think it was worth the risk.

Yes...good coaching hires would have helped...but I still like the move.

Overriding trigger for change to go independent in FB and return to BE for all others was fan apathy.

Regardless of Uconn's performance in AAC UConn fans weren't interested in the match ups.

So, the break up had to happen. UConn's fans just weren't in to the AAC.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
No way Hurley, Brad Stevens or Red Auerbach recruits at a high level or better in the AAC vs the NBE
The AAC wasn't for UConn as it's not for Cinci. Memphis or Houston
Football Yes, Baseball Yes, Hoops No, Soccer No

Reaction Score
Basketball is better in the Big East. It's a top 3 +/- conference. AAC was 7 +/-.

The UConn Football Indy schedule is better than the AAC. Nice job, give it a chance.

When the AAC football TV contract failed there was no reason to hang on.

Take the better Big East conference for basketball, take the BE TV contract, and get your own modest TV deal for football. It was your best option.

You also get a more regional schedule with better rivalries for both sports.

This year's football schedule doesn't matter. Pass on it or play some spring exhibitions, it doesn't matter. The hard work is getting a good Indy schedule going forward. UConn is on a good path there.

There is no benefit to drop to FCS. FCS is a losing platform. There is very little interest and no money. UConn will try to make the most of Indy. Unless Nova moves up to FBS Indy there is really no good reason to play Nova on a regular basis.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Pulling the plug means you are basically dooming the athletic department to failure. They spent the money on and invested in one of the best training facilities in the country.
Make it the best LAX facility in the country?

(Relax everyone, I'm kidding.)

Reaction Score
Zissou says, "This year's football schedule doesn't matter. Pass on it or play some spring exhibitions, it doesn't matter. The hard work is getting a good Indy schedule going forward. UConn is on a good path there."

And I say playing and losing a full slate of body-bag games will take its toll on fan support. It's no fun, week after week and year after year, to be the body in the bag no matter how much money you make.

Reaction Score
Zissou says, "This year's football schedule doesn't matter. Pass on it or play some spring exhibitions, it doesn't matter. The hard work is getting a good Indy schedule going forward. UConn is on a good path there."

And I say playing and losing a full slate of body-bag games will take its toll on fan support. It's no fun, week after week and year after year, to be the body in the bag no matter how much money you make.
Why assume you can't compete?

Just maybe UConn succeeds. At least give it a chance before you declare defeat.

Reaction Score
Make it the best LAX facility in the country?

(Relax everyone, I'm kidding.)
I got the joke, but I do think LAX should be added to UCONN's athletic department

Reaction Score
Benedict has said all someone has to do is write the checks (start-up and continuing ops).
Time to start playing the lottery. First I would donate to the chemical engineering program as that was my major and they are still in need of new lab equipment (we had alumni visit that graduated in the 60's and 70's and they said it was the same equipment in the lab). Then lax and assistant pool money for football. Then if I win a lot of money I'm buying the rent a good jumbotron. :)

Reaction Score
"Why assume you can't compete?

Just maybe UConn succeeds. At least give it a chance before you declare defeat."

Give it a chance? UConn was demonstrably non-competitive in AAC football. It didn't even try. So why, all of a sudden, do you think it'll turn over a new leaf? Nope, the UConn administration signaled that it's putting all of its energy into basketball when it chose to move to the New Big East. That's a good thing.

Just about everything militates against a revival (is that even the right word?) of UConn football. It's stuck in a talent-poor part of the country where college football is an afterthought, it has an off-campus stadium, it has very little football history, it's wallowing in a sea of red ink, it's not willing to pay for any but a rather mediocre a re-tread coach, it has an inept administration, and it's saddled with an indifferent state government.

Reaction Score
Just about everything militates against a revival (is that even the right word?) of UConn football. It's stuck in a talent-poor part of the country where college football is an afterthought, it has an off-campus stadium, it has very little football history, it's wallowing in a sea of red ink, it's not willing to pay for any but a rather mediocre a re-tread coach, it has an inept administration, and it's saddled with an indifferent state government.
That sounds pessimistic

Reaction Score
Lots of new people/posters on the boards.. and not many positive people/posters for UConn Footballs success..
I’m depressed enough.. please don’t send me down the spiral with this FCS crap..
The team is working hard and I’m expecting a big improvement this year! Looking forward to 2021..

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom