Players Tribune - Napheesa on life, basketball, and UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Players Tribune - Napheesa on life, basketball, and UConn

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I love this woman! I fell in love with her this summer watching her play since she plays with Odyssey. I admire her so much on here poise, athleticism, humbleness, and just overall demeanor. She carry's herself well and represent whomever she is representing to the best of her abilities. Should have been No.1.

She IS number 1. She’s #24 in your program, but she’s #1 in OUR hearts ~ UConn Nation. ;)

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
As a career bookseller (and now a p-t librarian) this essay was a delightful surprise. As a life-long Husky it was more proof positive that our team is the Gold Standard...period. Years ago Geno was right when he told a reporter “We don’t recruit dopes.”
Sylvia Fowles said something similar during Lynx training camp this year: “There’s no knuckleheads in camp this year.” I got a charge out of that, thinking of Geno.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
"I'm probably one of the luckiest people in the coaching profession because I get to coach players like Stefanie and Bria," he said. Then the Hall of Fame coach took a long pause and struggled to compose himself.
"Yeah, I get to coach guys like that," he continued. "That's why we do what we do."

"Guys like that" undoubtedly now includes Napheesa.

Reaction Score
Excellent article. Says as much about who Napheesa is and the environment CD and Geno nurture at UConn. This program will continue to produce amazing young women that understand that talent isn't everything. You still have to work to be successful. Thank you Napheesa for giving us a little more of you and thank you Geno and CD for the love you give to these ladies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
As I review this thread I realize my usually indifferent spelling has become much worse. Combination of factors. I'm typing on my laptop in a wheelchair and the position and touch is much different from my norm. I discovered my sleeves have been touching the key pad while I type, leading to all sorts of mischief. And I am on pain killers and the interesting curve of their effect over the 4-6 hours. Damn artificial knee which started down hill 2 years after "install", and no one can figure it out. Now I have to get answers at Mayo or wherever I can find the best. I can no longer walk on it. Playing here and elsewhere takes me away from that, like Phee with her reading books.

Reaction Score
Wow! I'm 100% sure Pheesa will take a stab at mystery novel writing somewhere along the line. And she should. The woman can write!

That was such an enjoyable read! She's always been such an enigma - so quiet. Even her facial expressions rarely betray much emotion.

Being a basketball fan and a reader, especially a reader of mysteries (Pheesa, try Ruth Rendell if you haven't already!) I couldn't love Pheesa more.

May her career by long and rewarding!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Game recognizing Game! I will feel robbed if these two don't get to work basketball magic together at USA basketball or in Minnesota.

Game.jpg

Carnac

Reaction Score
I love this woman! I fell in love with her this summer watching her play since she plays with Odyssey. I admire her so much on here poise, athleticism, humbleness, and just overall demeanor. She carry's herself well and represent whomever she is representing to the best of her abilities. Should have been No.1.

She's a walking talking living testament to:
1. A UConn education.
2. Chris Daley's finishing school for young women.

Carnac

Reaction Score
As I review this thread I realize my usually indifferent spelling has become much worse. Combination of factors. I'm typing on my laptop in a wheelchair and the position and touch is much different from my norm. I discovered my sleeves have been touching the key pad while I type, leading to all sorts of mischief. And I am on pain killers and the interesting curve of their effect over the 4-6 hours. Damn artificial knee which started down hill 2 years after "install", and no one can figure it out. Now I have to get answers at Mayo or wherever I can find the best. I can no longer walk on it. Playing here and elsewhere takes me away from that, like Phee with her reading books.

Hang in there Rocky, we're not done with you yet. :) Don't worry about the spelling, we'll figure it out.

Reaction Score
There are a lot of gems in this article, written by our beloved Phee. Every UConn recruit needs to read this article.

"During high school, I got scholarship offers from all around the country. It was pretty overwhelming, honestly. I wasn’t sure about where I wanted to go, but I did know one thing for certain: It wouldn’t be UConn."

"But I think what drew me in as much as anything was how the girls on the team interacted with each other. On that official visit, we went to one of their apartments one night and just hung out, laughed, and played board games. The girls on the team seemed more like sisters than friends, and right away they made me feel like I was part of their family."

"But what most people don’t understand about [UConn winning], and what I certainly didn’t, is that it’s not something that just happens. Not at all. It’s easy to assume UConn’s edge is strictly a talent thing — and no doubt, there’s a lot of talent — but the consistency comes from the grind.

The Every. Single. Day. Grind."

I have thought for a long while now that Naphessa was a sweet young lady and a very talented one but I wasn't prepared for how beautiful a piece she wrote. As has been said, it's a wonderful recruiting tool for future potential UConn recruits but it's obvious that she didn't mean it to be anything but an honest reflection on her mindset before, during and after her UConn experience. She is one amazing, amazing young woman. It's obvious why when recruiting that Geno and Chris and the staff look for not only talented but thoughtful selfless and caring young women and that these recruits come out of UConn even more special than they were when they entered. Their parents need never worry about leaving their kids under the tutelage of the UConn family.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom