Players tattoos | The Boneyard

Players tattoos

Reaction Score
we are constantly hearing players need to be paid, these poor guys can't afford a pizza at night etc. I have been a tattooist 43 years and am pretty well known in the tattoo world. I know what tattoos cost. I see these guys covered in ink, some of them with like 2-3 thousand dollars worth of tattoos. Where do they get the money for this?

Reaction Score
we are constantly hearing players need to be paid, these poor guys can't afford a pizza at night etc. I have been a tattooist 43 years and am pretty well known in the tattoo world. I know what tattoos cost. I see these guys covered in ink, some of them with like 2-3 thousand dollars worth of tattoos. Where do they get the money for this?

Don't ask questions you don't want to know the answer to.

Reaction Score
Not only are some of them probably free bees but 2 - 3k is something that could be accumulated over a 2 - 4 years. Plus nobody every said the kids were spending their money responsibly (or their parents). 3k divided by 24 months, thats only 125 bucks a month. I had more than that to blow when I was 12 with 2 news paper routes.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Not only are some of them probably free bees but 2 - 3k is something that could be accumulated over a 2 - 4 years. Plus nobody every said the kids were spending their money responsibly (or their parents). 3k divided by 24 months, thats only 125 bucks a month. I had more than that to blow when I was 12 with 2 news paper routes.

When exactly are these players working? They get ~2800 for the school year as a stipend

Reaction Score
Some of the tattoos suck and were probably given for free or at a huge discount. Some are given for free for the exposure and recommendations. Many of the kids work basketball camps in the summer and get a couple hundred dollars a week out of it, and most just get money from their parents or other family members. Not all basketball players are poor. If you take it to the NBA level, there aren't even that many players that grew up in poverty anymore after the Lebron James, Wade era. About half of the guys had a parent (or 2) that was an elite D1 athlete and have had personal trainers since they were kids. Basketball is not like it used to be in the United States.

Reaction Score
When exactly are these players working? They get ~2800 for the school year as a stipend

Fair point on the working, although plenty of high school kids do sports and find time to hold down a job too. You don't think the parents want the kids to have some of the stuff they want? Parents can take out loans to provide some of the stuff their kids want or borrow or work extra jobs/hours. Or the parents flat out can afford to give the kids the money to get what they want. I was no special student athlete and my mom was far from rich, she found a way to give me money weekly so I could get the stuff i needed and some of the stuff i wanted. If i got the new Wutang CD and didnt have extra to get food at 10pm when the school cafeteria or snack bar was closed, that was on me.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Fair point on the working, although plenty of high school kids do sports and find time to hold down a job too. You don't think the parents want the kids to have some of the stuff they want? Parents can take out loans to provide some of the stuff their kids want or borrow or work extra jobs/hours. Or the parents flat out can afford to give the kids the money to get what they want. I was no special student athlete and my mom was far from rich, she found a way to give me money weekly so I could get the stuff i needed and some of the stuff i wanted. If i got the new Wutang CD and didnt have extra to get food at 10pm when the school cafeteria or snack bar was closed, that was on me.

This post is uh... out of touch.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
If I were a tattoo artist, I would give a discount to someone who will have my tattoos on display on tv on a regular basis.

Reaction Score
If I were a tattoo artist, I would give a discount to someone who will have my tattoos on display on tv on a regular basis.
Only if they regularly said who did the work. We see BB players on TV all the time with tattoos. Do you know who did the work? I sure don't. But you are correct somewhat. If I had a shop in a college town I would do those guys for free, in the hopes it would garnish me business from other students and locals. But being on TV isn't going to get work for the artist.

Reaction Score
This post is uh... out of touch.
Maybe it depends on the level of skill they have an how much they train. I knew plenty of high school athletes who worked jobs after school here and there. Share your schedule with your boss and they work around it.

Granted, that was back in the late 90s. Perhaps I am out of touch today.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Sweet player tattoo

fan-gets-tattoo-of-ray-allen-nba-shot-ftr.jpg

Reaction Score
The guy that tattoos them is in Waterbury and does it for free. They bring him clients and gets his work on there instagrams and on TV.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom