Players returning from injury | The Boneyard

Players returning from injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I am really looking forward to Morgan and Gabby playing this year and from the little bit we have heard from coaches they are physically performing well in their return from serious knees injuries. I just want to sound a note of caution though.
We saw last year what an off season of practice can do for a player in Jeffersons incredible transformation. And we see it in less dramatic ways with most Uconn players - each year there is improvement in some aspect of their game - partly do to natural maturation, but also due to focused practice and good coaching. Those months from April to September are important not just for recuperation from a long season, but also for dedicated practice time. During the season the team practices are limited by the number of games and the individual practices to develop individual skills are almost non-existent. The six months with no games is a unique chance that HS players with the proliferation of AAU and HS games and tournaments don't get as much of as most college coaches think they should.

For injured players the 6 month off season is spent in the trainers room rebuilding their bodies rather than on the court expanding and refining their skills. That is a huge disadvantage that goes with the obvious mental and physical challenges of recovering from injuries.

Both of Uconn's recovery projects are players with great skills, but they have not been able to practice those skills for a five month period let alone expand and refine them. Kiah's nagging injuries her first two years had similar disruptive effects and I think her improvement last year was partly tied to a fully healthy off season.

Anyway - just wanted to mention these considerations when thinking about Tuck and Williams.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I am really looking forward to Morgan and Gabby playing this year and from the little bit we have heard from coaches they are physically performing well in their return from serious knees injuries. I just want to sound a note of caution though.
We saw last year what an off season of practice can do for a player in Jeffersons incredible transformation. And we see it in less dramatic ways with most Uconn players - each year there is improvement in some aspect of their game - partly do to natural maturation, but also due to focused practice and good coaching. Those months from April to September are important not just for recuperation from a long season, but also for dedicated practice time. During the season the team practices are limited by the number of games and the individual practices to develop individual skills are almost non-existent. The six months with no games is a unique chance that HS players with the proliferation of AAU and HS games and tournaments don't get as much of as most college coaches think they should.

For injured players the 6 month off season is spent in the trainers room rebuilding their bodies rather than on the court expanding and refining their skills. That is a huge disadvantage that goes with the obvious mental and physical challenges of recovering from injuries.

Both of Uconn's recovery projects are players with great skills, but they have not been able to practice those skills for a five month period let alone expand and refine them. Kiah's nagging injuries her first two years had similar disruptive effects and I think her improvement last year was partly tied to a fully healthy off season.

Anyway - just wanted to mention these considerations when thinking about Tuck and Williams.
Good points.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Well, on a positive note, past injured players comment that their soaking up court performance from the bench gives them a headiness that they might not always get while playing. Some see it as assistant coach behavior that will translate well.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
wire - good point, and I wasn't trying to be negative - just pointing out that physical and mental recovery isn't the only issue involved.

Reaction Score
I am interested in seeing how the new players adjust to playing at UCONN and see how many minutes they get.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure how much basketball Gabby has played in the last two seasons.
She's had two season ending surgeries in jr and sr yrs of high school. I'm hoping
Gabby and Morgan have great years and stay healthy. We need them both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom