Player Rankings for WNBA Draft | The Boneyard

Player Rankings for WNBA Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
A lot will be "needs driven"; there are not a lot of sure shot stars from my point of view. So teams can take a flyer on someone and a UConn background would go a long way towards making it worth the effort.

Honestly, while I've heard of most of the players on the list, the names after the first few don't just jump out at you. JMHO, of course.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
We all think Kiah will be great this year but based on three years of college to date - she did nothing the first two years and was a very good bench player last year. She should play herself up this list this year, but being on the list at all is pretty good before the season.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Tianna Hawkins of Maryland was drafted 5th overall, I believe. I think Kiah, though having much smaller offensive numbers, is a better player. Kiah will be overshadowed by the best player, best shooter, and best point guard in WCBB, but she should be a top 10 pick. She has a better body than most in the WNBA already.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
We all think Kiah will be great this year but based on three years of college to date - she did nothing the first two years and was a very good bench player last year. She should play herself up this list this year, but being on the list at all is pretty good before the season.
She was a bench player behind a 2-time AA center who was the national DPOY and the #6 draft pick. If she sets the UConn season record for rebounds and blocks, Kiah will get recognition. She and Natalie will push each other in practice.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I look for Welch to move up to top 3, possibly top 2. She has explosive athleticism.

Reaction Score
Wow. As a Cal fan, I'm flattered to see Reshanda Gray at #1. She's a great talent who should go pretty high, but I would be surprised if she goes #1. For those who haven't seen her, I might compare her to Glory Johnson.

Coming out of high school, Liz Williams was way more developed than Gray. Gray has narrowed the gap and is probably faster than Williams, but not sure she's surpassed her if Williams is healthy.

#5 Boyd, also from Cal, is spectacular but she's not a good shooter so Banham might go before her (who averaged 22 ppg, IIRC). But Boyd is fantastic in transition and attacking the rim, kind of like Whalen in that department. Also a thief on defense and great passer. Very explosive and fun to watch.

Reaction Score
Kiah Stokes could be the steal of the draft if people sleep on her. I'm a Cal fan but I'm not even sure I would take #1 Gray ahead of her. Conservatively, I think Kiah belongs in the top 10 on this list. I would take her over #10 Elem Ibiam from South Carolina.

Reaction Score
Kat- Think you would be happy to hear that Gray has now added the 3 ball to her game in the off season. Showed no problem shooting from everywhere this summer. She might not hit 60 percent of her FG's like last year by taking more outside shots this year but she will be more versatile. Your in for a treat!

Reaction Score
I'm sorry but there is no way Ariel, if healthy, will be the 5th picked point guard. LOL

Reaction Score
yeah, Tennessee players do tend to be over-valued ....:rolleyes:
So you really think those other 4 point guards are better than Ariel? I know she's a Lady Vol but come on now....:)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
She was a bench player behind a 2-time AA center who was the national DPOY and the #6 draft pick. If she sets the UConn season record for rebounds and blocks, Kiah will get recognition. She and Natalie will push each other in practice.
IF - that is all I am saying. Based on her production through three years being ranked as low as she has been is pretty understandable. IF she has a great year she will be top ten, if she has an average year she may get drafted and if she has a mediocre year she will not. Blue tinted glasses say she should be drafted in the top ten but no one here has seen that quality over extended minutes consistently during her college career. For her first three years she has averaged about 4 ppg, last years she raised that to 4.5 ppg - good for eighth on the team behind freshman Chong. She was third in rebounds, third in blocks which is great but she only started two games which means that most of her time was spent not against the starting line-up or not against players as fresh as she was.
This coming year is critical for her prospects as a pro. If she can handle starting and produce at the same rate per minute as she did last year in 50% more minutes she will average 10.7 rebounds and 7 ppg with 134 blocks and will get drafted higher. (Given Uconn's conference schedule strength the raw numbers will be less important than her performance against the quality OOC teams and in the later rounds of the NCAA) I think she will be able to do that though legs that have played 25+ minutes per game vs. 15+ minutes per game may have a little less spring so rebounds and blocks may not come quite so frequently. Points on the other hand should improve because there will be fewer options on offense and more focus on her scoring in the offensive flow.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So you really think those other 4 point guards are better than Ariel? I know she's a Lady Vol but come on now....:)
If she plays as well as she was early last year she should be drafted significantly higher, but ... it is all speculation now. This is the time of year where every freshman on one's team will be the next superstar, every returning player has significantly jumped in skill and quality, and every coach has become a genius. Reality hits in a few months!:cool:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Kiah gets drafted no later then the 2nd round just on her defense alone. Her improvement or lack of with her offensive game will determine how high she goes. Her UConn pedigree alone will have teams take a chance on her. Kiah will be the 4th or 5th option on offense for this years team. Where I hope to see Kiah's improvement is on putting shots back up and making them when she rebounds missed shots.

Reaction Score
Kiah gets drafted no later then the 2nd round just on her defense alone. Her improvement or lack of with her offensive game will determine how high she goes. Her UConn pedigree alone will have teams take a chance on her. Kiah will be the 4th or 5th option on offense for this years team. Where I hope to see Kiah's improvement is on putting shots back up and making them when she rebounds missed shots.
Not many players are drafted in the WNBA for defense alone. How did that work for Kelly Faris?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Kelly was drafted in the 1st round because of her defense and UConn pedigree. Now her level of success in the WNBA hasn't met up to Kelly's expectations. However, she has spent two years in the WNBA and that counts for something. No Reason that Kiah can't make a WNBA roster just on her length and defense.

Not many players are drafted in the WNBA for defense alone. How did that work for Kelly Faris?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Stokes is really going to have to improve her offense if she wants to have a career in the WNBA. She absolutely can rebound and block shots, but unless you can put the ball through the hoop on a consistent basis, and that includes a decent mid-range game, it is hard to survive in that league.

Reaction Score
To me, Kiah's lack of shooting skill was more mental than anything. She seemed to lack confidence and maturity. Maturity isn't something a person can just turn on. It's an evolving process. It may have taken Kiah longer than some to gain confidence in herself, but I think it has now arrived. Prepare to be shocked at how well Kiah will do this year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I have always liked the form on Kiah's mid-range shot - and it is a very soft shot, it seems to float to the hoop. But I agree that generally she has looked unsure of when to take it and lacked confidence. And while she has not been a bad FT shooter, she has not broken 70% in a fairly limited sample.

Reaction Score
Kat- Think you would be happy to hear that Gray has now added the 3 ball to her game in the off season. Showed no problem shooting from everywhere this summer. She might not hit 60 percent of her FG's like last year by taking more outside shots this year but she will be more versatile. Your in for a treat!

very exciting to hear thanks!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I don't disagree that Kiah needs to show she can consistently produce on offense BUT... of the top 10 centers in the league, 3 of them play for Washington (Messerman, Vaughn and Dolson). #10 is Appel who averaged under 5 PPG this season. McCarville at 6'2" is really not a center but plays the 5 because Minny has no one taller.

My point is that Kiah averaged over 4 PPG in very limited minutes at UCONN. EVEN if she only averages 4 PPG in the WNBA, due to the sheer lack of 5's with her height and athleticism, she should have a very long career. As I mentioned at the start of my post, Kiah does need to show more offense, but comparing her to Faris is like comparing apples and oranges. Guards are required to score. Only 5 centers in the entire WNBA averaged over 10 PPG and unless you are Griner, Charles, Fowles, DeSouza, or the trio at Washington, the centers in the WNBA are not asked to bear the major burden of the scoring...

Reaction Score
Don't know where Kiah gets drafted but she will be in the league. A definite shortage of good post players. As others have said here defense alone will get her on a roster and I believe she will get her share of off Rebs for points and hit an occasional jumper. I wonder about Sara Hammond ranked at 15. I Don't see her as having a position in the WNBA. She's a tweener . Real solid college forward but not big enough to play inside in the pros.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom